Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

How small an RV and still use a Toad?

My battle plan is to drive a MH from one RV park to the next as I travel across the state's. I will be doing a ton of sight seeing as well as fishing. To save money I would like to tow my electric car (Volt) and drive 50 miles a day charging back up overnight.

What would be the smallest size MH you would buy to tow a car? I'm hoping the money I save in gas will be half the cost of an RV park fees. Also, do RV parks charge the electric use?
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

in '92 I had an 18' class C Tioga on a Ford E350 and towed a Honda Civic fine
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

I don't quite understand your plan. How is driving 50 miles going to amount to half of a cg fees. Which generally will be $30 minimum and often higher. Driving 50 miles in a small gas engine car that gets 30-40 miles per gallon will burn less than 2 gallons of gas which at $2.50/gal would equal 5 bucks. Plus you'll burn more gas in your class C pulling that toad. You must believe in perpetual motion.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
I don't quite understand your plan. How is driving 50 miles going to amount to half of a cg fees. Which generally will be $30 minimum and often higher. Driving 50 miles in a small gas engine car that gets 30-40 miles per gallon will burn less than 2 gallons of gas which at $2.50/gal would equal 5 bucks. Plus you'll burn more gas in your class C pulling that toad. You must believe in perpetual motion.
My volt gets over 100 MPGE.

A MH gets like 10 MPG gas.
I will save 20 bucks a day in gas.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #5

I have a 30’ Class C that tows my Jeep with no problem, but I’ve also towed it hundreds of miles behind my Tundra. I don’t think an even smaller Class C would be an issue for a Volt.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpd1sam View Post
I have a 30’ Class C that tows my Jeep with no problem, but I’ve also towed it hundreds of miles behind my Tundra. I don’t think an even smaller Class C would be an issue for a Volt.
it's not so much a performance thing just kinda curious what other people are doing. seems kind of silly to tow a car with a 25 foot MH.
I imagine most folks would not bother with a toad until they are in something 30ft or more.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #7

I don't believe a Volt can be towed flat down. You're going to need a trailer.

You stated you'd drive 50 mi./day and then charge it. So that means only 25 mi. from your campsite? That surely wouldn't do with us. We sitesee the area and it is nothing to drive around and in the back country all day long; sometimes 100-200 mi to see the countryside.

Many times the good fishing spots aren't near where you'd be camped. The immediate areas are 'hammered to death'. You have to drive miles along the river to find a more secluded spot.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #8

i bought our first mh based on mileasge... mercedes sprinter...
i didn't fit in shower.
2 steps up to find bedroom and they weren't close together... very disturbing in the middle of the night.
local mercedes dealer didn't service sprinters...
i would have to go to next state for a dealer who would .
lots to discusss separate from gas mileage as you plan for a mh... or you'll be like me and immediately trading... at a huge loss...financially, unless you buy an older mh and that brings on a whole pile of additional questions/expenses..
good luck.
oh yeah... find out what the dealer will give you for the coach in 10 months. (before the warranty runs out...
in my case...
a very large dealership accedpted my 33% off offer... then 10 months later...
would only offer me half of list on a trade... !! salesman laughed when i asked him if he knew of any customers that would be interested in a coach like mine...
answer.... "no one wants those... we can't sell them new for what you paid!!"

i only got half of list on a trade. but i sure didn't go back to original dealer.... problems with dealer were too many to list... be careful fellow.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't believe a Volt can be towed flat down. You're going to need a trailer.

You stated you'd drive 50 mi./day and then charge it. So that means only 25 mi. from your campsite? That surely wouldn't do with us. We sitesee the area and it is nothing to drive around and in the back country all day long; sometimes 100-200 mi to see the countryside.

Many times the good fishing spots aren't near where you'd be camped. The immediate areas are 'hammered to death'. You have to drive miles along the river to find a more secluded spot.
I used 50 miles just for reference. A volt can travel 50 miles on the battery then the gas engine starts and it gets 40 mpg like a prius.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
How Small

Well, in response to your question, I would ask - what is it you want in comfort when you’re not driving or fishing?
Do you want to stoop to do things? Crawl into a bed that is next to a wall? Watch tv at night or relax in a comfy chair? What sort of cooking do you want to do?

These are really important questions that you have to ask yourself and find the answers.

If, like another responder suggested, you need to trailer tow, then you’ll need something that will pull that weight uphill without overheating.

My guess would be that in the interests of comfort and performance, and to be admissible to most national park campgrounds, you will want to be in a 28’ class C or a 32’ Class A.

Myself, I like the Class A, having owned both and presently the owner of a 34 footer.

Good luck and safe travels. AND good fishing!

Cheers 🍷

DJ
Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Well, in response to your question, I would ask - what is it you want in comfort when you’re not driving or fishing?
Do you want to stoop to do things? Crawl into a bed that is next to a wall? Watch tv at night or relax in a comfy chair? What sort of cooking do you want to do?

These are really important questions that you have to ask yourself and find the answers.

If, like another responder suggested, you need to trailer tow, then you’ll need something that will pull that weight uphill without overheating.

My guess would be that in the interests of comfort and performance, and to be admissible to most national park campgrounds, you will want to be in a 28’ class C or a 32’ Class A.

Myself, I like the Class A, having owned both and presently the owner of a 34 footer.

Good luck and safe travels. AND good fishing!

Cheers 🍷

DJ
28 to 32 is exactly what I'm looking for
Old 11-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
My battle plan is .....
Not very good for saving money.

Traveling cost money. Fuel, food, and lodging. If I need to save money I travel less.

I have not bought fuel in a month but spoiling my granddaughter is costing me more.

But when I am not visiting family, I often boondock for weeks while using my TOAD to go places that I want to see without taking the MH. Often 100s of miles. Large saving on fuel and campground fees. At least $600 on fuel alone this year.

I am also using the TOAD to go buy food at Walmart that is a 50 mile trip.

Short trips cost $5.00. Not much savings. Not too many places you can go in an EV that is good for short trips.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a 25 ft Sprinter Class C and towed a small car with no problem.

Are you sure your Volt can be towed 4 wheels down or will you need a trailer/dolly? Is so that will be an extra cost of lots of $$$$$
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #14

I dolly towed a Kia Soul for 25,000 miles with a 30ft class C and I now dolly tow a Jeep Renegade with my 26ft Thor Axis.

I don't understand why I wouldn't bring along a car while traveling, even with a 26 ft MH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad