Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

How to clean tank sensors

We have 2009 Rockwood signature light 33 ft tt. Sensors still show full or part full even after draining. Things to do?
lhlee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #2

Try the extreme product to clean the tanks and then the regular for continued use. I buy the big tub which is most cost effective. I've used HC for many years and found it to be the best there is.
No, I don't have a commercial interest in the product.

https://www.happycampers.store
Old 07-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #3

There are many ways to clean your tanks-which you will get a lot of good suggestions soon. My .02 is dont worry about it because even if you do get them working again after some major flushing in no time at all they will be doing the same thing again...

When the toilet burps it is time to dump. I use my phone timer when filling the santi-flush system to gauge when almost full. Just time filling a 5 gallon bucket and extrapolate to your tank size.

They have upgraded sensors that stand off the tank walls if you are interested in trying to fix long term.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #4

I would pour about 1/4 cup of Dawn dish detergent into the toilet and fill the tank to about 3/4 full. Then take the coach for a ride. Not down a flat interstate but a road with some hilly spots and turns.
Return home, fill the tank completely and let the water and detergent sit in the tank for a couple days.
After it has sat drain the tank and check the sensors again. It may take a few minutes or more for the moisture on the sensors inside the tank to dry some so the level lights will go out.
Maintain the sensors by always filling the tank full before dumping to flush any paper or solids out of the tank. I never let the tank get full before dumping. I prefer to add water to the tank when the tank becomes 3/4 full from use. If you have water available refill the tank after dumping then dump it again to flush out any remaining paper or solids. Always add water to the tank (I use about five gallons which is eight toilet bowls) to keep the tank bottom wet and help to keep paper and solids wet when you start using the toilet again. I also add a scoop of Happy Camper to the tank after each draining. Each time the toilet is used and paper and solids are involved use an extra bowl full of water and flush again.
Water is the sensors best friend. Use it generously.
Lynn
Old 07-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #5

Again, I've used HC for years. After the initial cleaning I've never had another problem with my sensors using HC. Use it as directed and you will have no more trouble.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with Dennis!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #7

I use Tank Tech Rx, which is a live bacterial culture that turns your organic waste into a liquid. That, plus I do not put toilet paper into the tank (a trash can with a lid, instead). After living in a country where the plumbing cannot handle toilet paper, I just got used to putting it in the bin, and this really helps the black tank to "digest" its contents, along with the Tank Tech Rx. Sensors stay nice and clean, yay!

One huge problem arises if you stay somewhere like Southern Arizona where the mineral content of the water is sky high. It can literally crystallize on the walls of your tanks. Not a problem in the long run, but it will ruin internal sensors and even affect the operation of external ones. Anyone have a good fix for mineralization?
Gone_Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When using the MH on a regular basis, after I dump the tanks I add some water to the tanks and then add 1/2 cup or so of Dawn dish soap to each tank. When arriving at my next destination I dump the tanks again and then add a little water to the black tank only. I do the Dawn treatment about every 4 or 5 emptying of the tanks. I have been doing this for 11 years and the gauges are still accurate.

I use Happy Camper if we aren't going to use the MH for a while.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Gone_Feral;4310172]I use Tank Tech Rx, which is a live bacterial culture that turns your organic waste into a liquid. That, plus I do not put toilet paper into the tank (a trash can with a lid, instead). After living in a country where the plumbing cannot handle toilet paper, I just got used to putting it in the bin, and this really helps the black tank to "digest" its contents, along with the Tank Tech Rx. Sensors stay nice and clean, yay!
QUOTE]

We bought our 2003 coach with the black water sensor reading full all the time. About 6 months later I bought a similar product with active cultures at the Phoenix RV show. The guy said keep your tanks full and only dump when you absolutely have to. And then stop dumping with some water left in the tank. It may take a while, but the cultures will eat away at the buildup that keeps your sensors from working. Of course, I have to fully dump before winterizing. 18 months later, at my last time dumping, all of the sensors came clean!

So that stuff works!
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #10

I too second the Happy Camper. Just used it on my Revolution about a month ago. GOOD STUFF! Just follow the directions carefully.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #11

My grey water tank started showing full a couple of months ago, even when empty. I googled the problem, and found a suggestion to use a full cup of liquid dishwasher detergent the day you are leaving on a trip, add plenty of hot water, and then dump the tank at your destination at the end of the day.

I followed the instructions, except I didn't dump for 2 weeks, as I did not have access to a dump station during that time. It did solve the problem, though, as the sensors are now accurate again.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Several years ago I installed a SeeView system. Now the tanks all have external sensors, no more cleaning issues. The readout for each tank is in percent, where 100 percent is full. No more guessing with idiot lights.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:44 AM   #13

What I want to know is, why aren't external sensors standard operating equipment? The internal ones are poor design.
Gone_Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #14

Just switched from Camco TST to Oxy-Kem drop-ins after having some sensor issues. Very pleased with the result, hence the recommendation. Found them at local WallyWorld.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank