Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Just thinking "aloud" here.
What about one of those $42 Ozone generators on E-bay?
Accomplish two things. Remove the normal odors AND kill the varmints that are trying to stay in your RV. The ozone generator will keep your RV free of dead critter smells.
If you use an ozone generator strong enough to do what you want, and as frequently as you're describing, you might find that much of the plastic/rubber/vinyl materials in your coach weaken or become unusable. Ozone has a destructive effect on substances like this.

I have successfully used an ozone generator to remove the stench in a concrete floor of an old chicken coop, but the plastic trim pieces around the room became soft afterwards. I've also used it to remove stink bugs from an back porch when they set up house in the walls. It worked, but that porch was all wood/concrete with nothing to be damaged.

Caution is in order when using ozone generators.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 11:22 PM   #16

We use the small LED Christmas lights (white) string them around the outside wall of the shop 2436 haven't had any mice since. My truck was parked outside the shop in the carport and they built a nest under the hood. Strung LED Christmas lights not more mice nesting under the hood. I leave the LED'S on all the time in the shop and when the trucks not in use especially at night. Has work for us. Thinking of using them out boondocking plugged into a small inverter and left on all night shouldn't use mush power.
Al F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
My local animal shelter has "working cats" I have two and they do a great job.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT2252 View Post
How does everyone keep mice out of their RV? Do not want a stinky smell of a dead mouse? Have to use caution I have a dog.
Thanks
Good suggestions will come.

Another is to limit how they can get up into the RV
- don't put down levelers
- if a travel trailer - don't leave chains or power from trailer to pick up on the ground

That will only leave the tires for them to clime up. You could try to block off the wheels from the frame.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #19

As long as there is NO possible food source mice don't stay long. You have a dog so there will always be a food source.
Construct a Tee out of 2" PVC, each leg a foot long. Buy 1 cap, drilll a 1/4" hole in the center then buy 1 foot of 1/4" all-thread and 3 nuts. Assemble the all-thread in the cap with 2 nuts.(don't glue cap to pipe, use a metal screw if children are present)The third nut goes on the other end of the all-thread and holds blocks of TomCat mouse bait on the all-thread.
As mice consume the bottom block the next drops down.
This device prevents children, cats and dogs from gaining access to the poison.
Since we have no pets I simply drop TomCat blocks down into plumbing access holes in the floor, place them behind cabinet drawers.
This type poison causes mice to bleed to death internally and they simply dry up instead of smelling. We insure we clean frequently and never leave any food source in the RV during storage. The result of this is no mice in 8 years of ownership of this MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #20

Lowes ,Home Depot, Rural King, Tractor Supply all have Chunk Bait and Corner bait holders. Mice eat and run off to die.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
As long as there is NO possible food source mice don't stay long. You have a dog so there will always be a food source.
Construct a Tee out of 2" PVC, each leg a foot long. Buy 1 cap, drilll a 1/4" hole in the center then buy 1 foot of 1/4" all-thread and 3 nuts. Assemble the all-thread in the cap with 2 nuts.(don't glue cap to pipe, use a metal screw if children are present)The third nut goes on the other end of the all-thread and holds blocks of TomCat mouse bait on the all-thread.
Since we have no pets I simply drop TomCat blocks down into plumbing access holes in the floor, place them behind cabinet drawers.
This type poison causes mice to bleed to death internally and they simply dry up instead of smelling. We insure we clean frequently and never leave any food source in the RV during storage. The result of this is no mice in 8 years of ownership of this MH.
Mice will eat plastics and they will look for things they can take back to their nest.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #22

Last summer I was in a park without any hookups and mice still got in. This winter in Quartzsite, boondocking a rat got in. I have no idea how. I use snap traps baited with peanut butter. Caught 8 mice last summer and 1 rat in Q
Old 03-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
Mice will eat plastics and they will look for things they can take back to their nest.
How do mice digest the plastic they eat??? I've never noticed chew marks on mine in the pole barn garage and it's been there for about 6 years. I just keep replacing the TomCat blocks every fall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 03-07-2021, 05:16 AM   #24
IC2

Quote:
As long as there is NO possible food source mice don't stay long.

Ray, I can assure you that mice don't care that there is food in an RV. We don't leave rodent available food in the trailer and none at all in winter.

Over the first winter we owned our 5er, it was a mouse hotel that took my wife and I two weeks to sanitize and plug holes. They ate clothing, bedding and plastic, We had no further mice until winter 2019 when a piece of rear corner belly Coroplast came loose and drooped. One died in the belly - stench - and since we saw evidence, several others were then snap trapped.

The mouse 'doorway' has been fixed and nary a mouse poop seen and none trapped this year since we now leave baited traps, just in case. I will NOT use rodent bait. One session of stench from the virtually inaccessible belly is all we will ever need.

One more little beast that is probably more destructive iare those oh so cute chipmunks and they caused over a thousand dollars damage on a TT years ago, entering via the roof mounted fridge vent by eating through the plastic screen. They ate the fridge control board, the insulation, wiring and then ate through a wall to the bathroom to enjoy some towels and on to some bedding treats.

The joys of RVing
Old 03-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #25

Quote:
How do mice digest the plastic they eat??? I've never noticed chew marks on mine in the pole barn garage and it's been there for about 6 years. I just keep replacing the TomCat blocks every fall.
https://www.earthkind.com/blog/what-...-chew-through/
Old 03-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #26

According to your link contents mice chew on plastic they do not eat plastic.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Could you post a photo please?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 03-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I admit Ive used an upside down T of PVC filled with poison to keep mice from eating my corn and pumpkin seeds but no longer do because of the effect up the food chain. If a hawk or fox, etc. that eats mice eats a poisoned mouse, the predator dies and the mouse population becomes worse...

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice