Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Mouse trap

My favorite trap. No resetting needed. Water in bottom of bucket kills them, 2 inches or so. Add a bit of rv antifreeze if needed. Very little bait consumption. Big capacity trap. Safe for pets. Refresh trap by dumping specimens and refilling water. Add a ramp for easier access. Really works, more effective than snap traps and longer function time. Kill/collect them inside and outside your RV. Bait with peanut butter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200817_085519.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	320965  
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #44

We use Walk the Plank. It sits in the RV when we're not traveling in it. Add a little antifreeze for the winter.

Instructions here:
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #45

Peppermint rids mice

We live in AZ and have both Pack Rats and Mice.
We have been successful leaving Pool Chlorine tablets (8-10) under the motorhome and also keep 3 Mason Jars with Peppermint Oil soaked cotton balls inside the coach.
Amazon sells oil for under $20 / 16oz.
Pleasant smell inside and mice don’t like either Spearmint or Peppermint odors.
We redial every month or so.
No rats or mice...
Loday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtn_Boy View Post
My favorite trap. No resetting needed. Water in bottom of bucket kills them, 2 inches or so. Add a bit of rv antifreeze if needed. Very little bait consumption. Big capacity trap. Safe for pets. Refresh trap by dumping specimens and refilling water. Add a ramp for easier access. Really works, more effective than snap traps and longer function time. Kill/collect them inside and outside your RV. Bait with peanut butter.
I made one of these before winter hit , complete with walk-up ramps . got 2 mice within days , definitely works . I put the bucket next to a stored car in another garage I own .

Also , 25 years ago , I had mice getting into my vinyl siding of my house & they were going up the corner vinyl caps , & into the attic . I filled in along the bottom of the siding & especially the corner pieces with "Great Stuff" polyurethane spray foam . I then painted the Great Stuff with siding color matched paint , latex mixed with habenero sauce . Mice HATE habenaro . Kept them out to this day , all these years since . ( The sauce makes the latex paint thick & gloppy , but you can smear it on underneath anyway , You don't see it under there anyway . )
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #47

Keeping mice out

I used to store my RV in a field near my home. This drew mice. My solution was Bounce dryer
sheets. I put them on my cabinets and on the floor near points of potential egress. I had no further issues with mice.
SJ_Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #48

I've had good luck with Cab fresh packets. I use 2-3 of them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L236OMW
justusdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT2252 View Post
How does everyone keep mice out of their RV? Do not want a stinky smell of a dead mouse? Have to use caution I have a dog.
Thanks
We hang mothball cakes from each axel. They have to initially climb the tire, so this stops them before they ever get to a tempting little hole in the underside. The odor stays outside and doesn't interfere with indoor activities.
Falconlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #50
VP

Tootsie Rolls as Bait

Old fashioned mouse traps work. But mice can lick peanut butter off the tongue without tripping the trap. Solution - Tootsie Rolls! Buy the “Fun” size, cut one in 1/3’s and soften in the microwave. When softened, form it around the tongue and let it cool. Mice love that taste! They start by licking and eventually take a bite, then SNAP! At night you can hear the traps going off. Last year I caught 3 mice in one trap using this bait! With gloves on, you can also reset a trap and use the bait over and over. Lastly, keep your bag of Tootsie Rolls in the refer so it doesn’t attract all their friends
Old 03-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #51

We have tried the soap, moth balls, mint, sonic noise makers and all the other solutions already suggested. None worked more than once or twice. What has worked is crawling under the motor home with a can of expanding insulation and wad of steel wool and plugging every crevice I could see. Not an easy job. Even less easy is trying to find and plug crevices in the engine firewall. Then I load a few mouse traps with peanut butter and half a peanut and put them near the coach door so I can check on them by just opening the door. I found that mice can lick off the peanut butter but, if you wedge half a peanut under the “hook” on the trigger plate, they set off the trap when they struggle to get the peanut. Works every time. If you have squirrels (we have red squirrels), use rat traps with peanut butter and half a peanut. After getting caught, the mice and squirrels would frequently flail around and wind up under things I couldn’t reach under so I put a thin rug on the floor and clipped the traps to the edge of the rug with a large binder clip. Now they struggle but the trap stays clipped to the rug. The traps don’t prevent critters from getting in but, because the peanut butter distracts them, the traps prevent them from doing damage. Here during a Northeast winter, I need to check the traps only every few days because dead, frozen critters don’t stink. I really only check the traps in case I have to remove a “customer”. In more temperate climes you should check daily. A short visit to your RV once a day is a small price to pay for an odor free home.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #52

Wrote a nice long post and fat finger deleted it.
Call 805 646 2177 ask for Rick Suddes
www.rataway.com
Been using it for years Rick will explain.
cavallin3256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #53

Buy the solar powered string lights. Works great for boondocking. Found them on Amazon. They stay on all night, and recharge each day.
captlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #54

I have to disagree with those who say there is no foolproof way to stop mice from entering your rv. Class A's & class C's might be a little harder because of the engine compartment, but the living space can be mouse-proofed. Shortly after buying our new 34 ft 5th wheel 12 years ago, I spent 4-5 hours over a couple of days sealing every tiny hole & seam under the rv with caulk, foam insulation, putty, etc. I used a strong flashlight to make sure I didn't miss any spots. We have never had a mouse in our 12 years of full time travel to every state at least once & Alaska twice. We have never even gotten any of the regular or large ants. Occasionally, we'll get a few of the microscopic ants that can get thru the screen mesh. I spend an hour or two every 2-3 years re-checking the undercarriage. Taking the time to thoroughly seal the rv does work.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:14 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusdj View Post
I've had good luck with Cab fresh packets. I use 2-3 of them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L236OMW
Some are called Fresh Cab and some are called Cab Fresh. They are either Balsam or Mint and are so strong they keep me away. I toss a few under the motor home and place three or four inside. They have worked quite will for us.

D-Con will kill them, then they crawl into a wall and die. Hello warm weather.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #56

I use sticky traps mount on plywood

I keep our motorhome (42.5' Tiffin Allegro Bus 42qdp) in a pole barn building on our property. I made tire surrounds out of 1/2 plywood pieces that fit together. I then staple sticky boards (cheaper than sticky traps) to the outside edge of the plywood end to end so they can't get to my tires without stepping on a sticky board.
The reason for the boards is so it is easy to remove the sticky boards when we want to move the motorhome. Plus, I can use the sticky boards for a much longer time. When they are sufficiently loaded with bugs and varmints I tear off the trap(s) and staple another one in its place. If it's just bugs I can staple the sticky board on top of the buggy one numerous times before ripping them off. I surround the cord with thre sticky boards in a triangle.
I tried plugging holes/gaps an would still catch some inside in traps. Haven't caught any inside now going on two years. Plus it keeps the bugs out. The sticky boards can be purchased at Menards. They are the ones that fold up into box like tunnel, but I lay them out flat. I think they come in a ten pack.
RandyandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice