Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #57

results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT2252 View Post
How does everyone keep mice out of their RV? Do not want a stinky smell of a dead mouse? Have to use caution I have a dog.
Thanks
We had excellent results from this approach. We bought a ton of the cheapest dryer sheets in the world (dollar store) which are typically loaded with fragrance. We then stuck them in every drawer, cabinet, or other tight space and just left them there. Our house, which was right next to the rig, had a huge mouse problem (we live-trapped over 70 mice that winter) but not a single one made a nest in the rig! Cheap, easy, and non-toxic!
PLDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #58

Thank you astrnmrtom for a very well written piece of advice! As a person with who has completed a year of war with mice and squirrels in my brand new ORV 22FQS, I confirm all that you have said. My issue became a warranty issue that I hope has been resolved. I am convinced the only way is to stop them from entering. Soo many youtube videos will confirm this. As you said, this will always be part of my regular maintenance. My only question is: Do you keep baited traps inside your camper? I have chosen this route, since I like to believe the entry points have been sealed. I will remain vigilant and check the exterior regularly for holes & entry points. I too have tried the soap, bounce, peppermint, electronic (sonic) deterrence's that never really worked.
BoomtownDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #59

I use ammonia in a bucket, with the A/C full blast. Of course I have to leave the RV for a couple of hours. But the smell drives everything from the RV.
buyusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #60

We have been using Irish Spring bars of soap and a product called CabFresh, mice don't like the smell but it's pleasant to humans, this has worked very well for us
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #61

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For winter storage the only thing I’ve found to keep them out is moth balls in paper plates here and there around the inside floors and in the engine compartment. Irish spring soap, Ha, they ate that and nested on dryer sheets, forget those! In the spring it takes about two weeks for the moth ball smell to disappear. During the summer when we use it I guess we just haven’t stayed anywhere ling enough to have a problem.
Lez8ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #62

We use cotton balls soaked in peppermint scented oils. Also have a few bars of Irish spring soap. Put the cotton balls on a piece of tin foil and place all thru the Motorhome. Since we have been doing this we have had no problem with critters.
Gary Keeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #63

Spartan Chassis
Some people will disagree but I've had good luck using coyote urine when in a campground. It's all natural and environmentally friendly. We have a well sealed enclosed garage that we park in at our home base that has no issues with varmints thanks to the black snakes and barn cats.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #64

I think I will try the tootsie roll and snap trap. Good idea. My wife has me empty everything off, bedding, towels paper products etc.. when we winterize. I do keep a bar called "just one bite" in the cargo bays of my class c. It is always my engine I worry most about. I have a class c. Would love to find a real way to protect it from critters. I did find a opossum looking around it. I have heard they will tear a vent off to move in. Did a live trap to get rid of it. I am seeing lots of "natures little creatures" are interested in the rv life!
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 PM   #65

MICKEY MOUSE CURES and ANT MINNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjeff View Post
We park ours inside for the winter and heard that if the motorhome is parked on roofing shingles the granules bother the little feet. Have been doing that for about three years now and so far have not had a mouse problem. Also I put some traps inside just in case some of the little critters gets inside.
The shingle this is a great idea. We carry coarse steel wool to close any areas that we see. I guess Mickey doesn't like steel wool? You can use this in your home as well.
We also went into a Army Corp camp ground and it was infested with ANTs. Those ant were already half way up my tires in 30 minutes. We now carry a giant red bottle with a ketchup type snout....with powdered ant killer in it. We put a ring around all tires and the landing gear legs. Ant's don't like the powder on their feet....plus it is a poison if they lick off. Another trick is keep a can of COMET CLEANER or any brand probably...and sprinkle it around the tires Ekcetra...for the same effects. HAPPY MOTORING!
If you neighbors don't mind? Put a "CAT HOUSE" under your RV...Mother Nature always has the best answers for our problems. Lizards and frogs are also great under you home for pest control....they eat the bugs spiders and termites....No toxic sprays or poison. MOTHER NATURE keeps talking to us...but no one listens it seems. JMHO Goodn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weblaw_LI.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	321000  
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've seen a great electric fence solution if you are storing it longer term. Install wire mesh fencing around the base of the RV and electrify it with a small critter transformer. Having used, and touched, one of those electrified fences, I know it would keep me away. For mice, it should kill them. For squirrels, it probably would just get them to not do it again.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #67

Thor Owners Club
How to keep mice out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT2252 View Post
How does everyone keep mice out of their RV? Do not want a stinky smell of a dead mouse? Have to use caution I have a dog.
Thanks
I had a mouse problem from RV storage. I put dryer sheets in the drawers and put a sonic stake (used for putting in your garden for gophers) on the couch. No more mice. This method would only work for storing your RV as the sonic stake would make you loose your mind...that’s why the mice leave!
lhmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #68

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I keep a small non-venomous snake in a cage. When the coach is unattended for several weeks, I let him/her out to roam while we are away. Trained it to respond to my whistle to go back into it’s cage. Keeps the pesky mice away, and is effective with the bird problem too.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #69

Natural botanicals for mice.

I am fairly new to the RV world. I am located on the Southern Oregon Coast. Acquired my rig in Oct 2020 and have been out and about on 4 trips since. I store my RV (towable) in my driveway out front. I have searched in and out and crawled the whole thing underneath and have either stuffed with stainless steel wool type mess and/or used expansion foam on every space that I could find. Even the tiny ones. Inside I use "Fresh Cab" botanical mice repellant in a few places throughout the trailer in order to have the scent carry virtually everywhere. It smells pleasant too,(to humans). Now, this does NOT repel rats or squirrels. I dont have a squirrel problem here, and there are many neighborhood cats that roam. But, closing all the holes, not letting my power cord lay on the ground, and other than the tires and the jacks there is no ground contact. I am an experienced Pest Control Professional with nearly 30 years in the industry. So, I can tell you one thing for sure......NEVER think you have beaten the critters.: Do all the right things and keep checking on it. Rodents are very persistant and sneeky!
ChetSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:09 PM   #70

Get a cat...

... and the mice will stay away.
Cristos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice