Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #1

How to keep Mice out?

How does everyone keep mice out of their RV? Do not want a stinky smell of a dead mouse? Have to use caution I have a dog.
Thanks
DavidT2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 05:56 AM   #2

You must look into EVERY floor level cabinet for ANY floor penetration. Under EVERY drawer. Behind EVERY panel. Remove the panels. EVERY pipe hole, wire hole. EVERY hole as small as your pinky must be filled With Stainless stealwole and /or spray foam. Next, get on your back under the RV and do the came.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:04 AM   #3

Avoid temptations. Don't leave open food containers such as chips, crackers, etc. Don't let dirty clothes collect in the RV. I keep some bar soap, Irish Spring for example, in a few places. As said, attempt to seal all entry points.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
IC2

There are literally dozens of threads and hundreds of individual posts here on that subject if you do a search. The ONLY way I've found to keep those critters out is to plug or cover any penetration to the interior. If it's a motor home, regardless of type, dang near impossible to seal the engine compartment. These little beast LOVE wire insulation and some plastics. Chipmunks and squirrels are also suspect. And yes, their bodies - they can stink for weeks.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Avoid temptations. Don't leave open food containers such as chips, crackers, etc. Don't let dirty clothes collect in the RV. I keep some bar soap, Irish Spring for example, in a few places. As said, attempt to seal all entry points.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irish-Spring-Mice.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	319579
Old 02-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have found that if you feed them a nice healthy diet, high in fiber, they won't die and you won't have that awful smell. I like to call them Fred and Ethel (after I Love Lucy). They will grow up plump (fat and happy) and have lots of little Fred and Ethel's, and you can all go camping. Then they will meet their cousins that live in the forest and they will all move out and live happily ever after. You on the other hand will have a big "Vacancy" sign on the RV which means Larry and Betty will move in when you get back home. Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I guess the little west coast mice have gas masks left over from the riots. I never had a problem after putting in soaps. I think my main critter was squirrels since there were also acorns in the drawer. Chewed the corner of a washcloth.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:24 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get a cat or a snake and don't feed them. Nothing works on mice forever. Not even chopping their little bodies up and scattering the pieces for the others to see. (Don't ask me how I know)

Oh and mice will attract snakes on their own. (This I know from our hunting camper)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
In past years, we have tried several different tactics to keep mice out of our RV's. Poison's and mouse traps do work, but then we had the lil suckers die in our coach and that's messy (and sometimes smelly)

From past experience, trying to block holes or cracks to keep them out does NOT work. If mice want to get in, they will find a way.

I bought 4 electronic mouse blockers about a year ago. We put two in the coach, one on the engine compartment and one in the motorhome basement. At $100 each, they are not cheap, but they definitely work. We have seen no evidence of mice in our coach since we have had them in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Blocker...5-2aa47aa18b69
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Keeping mice out is simple. Just plug all the holes.

However, finding ALL the holes is not so simple.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT2252 View Post
How does everyone keep mice out of their RV? Do not want a stinky smell of a dead mouse? Have to use caution I have a dog.
Thanks
In my 50 years with an RV these are the BEST!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Only good Mouse is a DEAD MOUSE -

Try them they work and are easy to reset.

- -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #12

A dead stinky mouse is the least of your worries. They do little damage and the stink eventually goes away. It's the live ones that really do the harm.

Best approach is to not let them in, and if they get in don't give them anything to make them feel welcome like food or water. You'd be surprised where they can find both.

In the winter I make sure to shovel snow from around the coach so that they don't have a nature-made ramp for gaining access or some place under the coach to get out of the wind.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #13

We park ours inside for the winter and heard that if the motorhome is parked on roofing shingles the granules bother the little feet. Have been doing that for about three years now and so far have not had a mouse problem. Also I put some traps inside just in case some of the little critters gets inside.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #14

Just thinking "aloud" here.
What about one of those $42 Ozone generators on E-bay?
Accomplish two things. Remove the normal odors AND kill the varmints that are trying to stay in your RV. The ozone generator will keep your RV free of dead critter smells.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice