Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Depends on how cool you want it

To keep it cool:
1) Run AC when temps are high
2) Climate controlled commercial storage
3) Build a climate controlled garage

To keep it cooler than it would be just sitting in the sun
1) Carport type cover to reduce the direct sun's impact
2) Cover windows from the outside if possible. By placing the reflective material on the outside you can reduce the amount of heat getting to the interior of the coach. With the reflective material inside, the windows absorb a greater amount of heat as does the interior of the coach.
3) run your exhaust fans

Before building the garage I was not very successful in significantly reducing the heat in the coach. Finally gave up and built the garage.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
How to keep motorhome cool while stored

If you cannot do a carport or garage, I would install awnings. What you want to do is keep the sun off the windows including the the metal frames (they are a good heat transfer medium). Placing a sun shield inside will certainly help, but the heat is still transmitted through even with film covered windows. Place a sunshade on the outside of your windshield and awnings on the other windows and you will notice a BIG difference.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #17

The key is to cover the outside of the windows. It does make a big difference in temperature. I do need to find an outside cover for my side windows although the inside blinds are closed. Also, don't forget the tires.

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
Any ideas on how to keep my motorhome "cool" while parked at home and not in use? It sits in the direct sun (no choice on that) and by mid to late afternoon it's 100 degrees inside. I have the bathroom roof vent open but that doesn't help much. I don't want to run the air conditioner every day.
Probably not much solution to this but I'd like to hear any ideas.
Thanks.
Camper Ken
That's one thing I've never worried about.
When storing my coach I crack a window open and leave a roof vent open (summer and winter).
Mel
'96 Safari, 148 k miles, (stored outside when not being used for 15 years).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Cover windows from the outside if possible. By placing the reflective material on the outside you can reduce the amount of heat getting to the interior of the coach. With the reflective material inside, the windows absorb a greater amount of heat as does the interior of the coach.
This is definitely how to keep a lot of heat from getting inside - cover the windshield on the outside.

Also, window awnings do amazingly well to keep the sun out. They are so easy to open and close, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Unless someone is staying in it, I don't see a reason for it to be kept cool. While we do have an RV port, prior to that it sat exposed to the elements for 3 years. All inside shades are kept down, both roof vents & a jalousie window are left open for some heat to escape/air circulation. That's it.

If it's stored for a while in heat, be sure to occasionally put water down any p-traps. They can quickly evaporate when it's hot. I'll usually forget about the Splendide, until a few days in on a trip.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome