Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

How to patent an idea?

This is RV related in that I have developed a new toliet for RVs. Not sure how to go about getting my idea patented. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes
This is RV related in that I have developed a new toliet for RVs. Not sure how to go about getting my idea patented. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Send it to me and I'll handle it.

I think if you really want to be safe - you want a patent attorney. There are also small business patent assistance offices as I recall. Good luck with your idea!!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Patents
Patent, How to Get a
How much does it cost to patent an idea
Getting a Patent on Your Own | Nolo.com
Good Luck!
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Be aware, patents are not cheap and take a lot of time and effort to go through the process. The Patent Office is typically backlogged by 18 months or more.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Google
Old 02-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me google that for you
Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Cute. I do know how to google but was hoping there might be someone with some actual experience obtaining a patent.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Patents are expensive for it is impossible for most to do their own work. Also very few little guys every really make anything off of their patents. Usually the hairs will sell or otherwise dispose of them.

I have been involved with the process on my own patents where the Corp Lawyer would take me to the patent library in Washington to looks through lots of patents to find references similar to my idea. This is a called a search of the art to show originality.

The basic process is:

Do a search to determine if the idea is orginal. Done in the patent office archives.

Build a working model or have detail drawings which proves it will work. You are on your own.

Do the patent qualified drawings. Done by professional draftsmen in this business

Write up the patent per the rules. Also done by either a patent lawyer or what is called a patent agent.

Submit it to the Office with necessary fees. This will go a lot better if done by a Patent Lawyer registered with the Patent office. In the old days an individual could do this. I have seen pictures of the waiting room filled with applicants sitting with their models on their lap. I think that even then a lawyer was at some point involved.

Any appeals or other actions must by done by the patent lawyer.

The total cost for all of the above will run into thousands of dollars for most of the professionals involved make over $50 per hour. Maybe more now days.

You have a better change from buying lottery tickets.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
What targaboat said just about sums it up. Beyond the patent search, the back and forth with the Patent Office to finally accept your idea, and the costs associated with maintaining a patent; it is also up to the holder to defend his patent, i.e. ensure that your idea is not infringed by anyone else.

Sometimes it is best to get a business to buy your idea instead.

But if you feel that you really want to go the patent route, I suggest you have a professional assist you (be it an attorney or agent).

Good luck with your quest.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #10

I think most of what is posted here is accurate. I know one guy who pulled it off, got a patent and sold his idea for a million. I know another guy who's patent attorney stole the idea. That guy landed in jail after trying to call the attorneys on their dishonesty. Choose your business partners carefully.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 AM   #11

From what I have heard, when you file for a patent, it becomes public notice. The chinese will have it on the shelf before you ever get anything approved. China does not recognize our patent rights.

Had it happen to a friend. He invented one of those Gatorback tail gates with an expandable panel so you could carry your groceries and other stuff so it doesn't roll around in a truck bed or trunk. After I got home from the company school where w e talked about it, I found a very similar one at Sam's Club for 1/2 the price he was going to ask.

From what I have heard, is to build some, make a nice, attractive display and put some around where your target buyers will see them. If it is a good idea and a lot of people buy it, more and more stores will pick it up. Kinda like those do-hickeys near the register at Autozones. Good luck, you will need it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #12

Yea I think I will maybe try and build a prototype then see if I can get a company to take it on. Thanks for the advice. Sad that lawyers have made that a process that few people can afford.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #13

Try Shark Tank
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can look into a post office patent. It's simply an envelope with all of your documentation sealed inside at the post office then put in a safety deposit box. If during your process of trying to get a patent, someone tries to steal it you have dated proof of when you first came up with the idea.

China is the worst country on the planet. The steal while smiling and are allowed to pollute our world at will.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote