Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #15

Have you tried a liquid detergent like dawn. I goes on like wax I maybe that will take it off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
0000 Steel Wool Only!!
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I have found that when properly applied I almost never need the wipers as the window stays cleaner as the water quickly blows off. The more water as when passing a truck, the faster the windshield clears. Sometimes even faster than using the wiper.
I find the same thing with Dry Wash N Guard and I no longer sell or stock it so no financial interest in it. Just a good product that works.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #18

Rain-X fan here for years. I clean the windshield with Invisible Glass, followed by a rub down with 0000 steel wool so it's squeky clean. Then apply the Rain-X. I also use Rain-X washer fluid as well. And I also started using the Rain-X blades and replace every year. Very satisfied with this combination.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #19

Quote:

The windshield does need to be real clean when you first install it. Whenever I refresh the Rain-x on the glass I end with giving the ww blades a simple wipe with the application paper towel. This removes the oxidized rubber and leaves a nice thin coat on the blades.

I have found that when properly applied I almost never need the wipers as the window stays cleaner as the water quickly blows off. The more water as when passing a truck, the faster the windshield clears. Sometimes even faster than using the wiper.
I've used RainX for many years and like it. For some reason, there's a haze on the MH's windshield and it's streaks...maybe dried soap from washing the roof? I don't know. What I do know is that Windex didn't touch the streaks.

Went to an auto parts store and asked the oldest guy there. His answer?
Coca Cola. Dang...he was right. Wipe the Coke on and wipe off with another towel. It's going to be ready for a new coat tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

All I use is rain x windshield wash by itself it seems to work as well as the original rain x without all of the elbow grease to apply it and it never streaks. I also use it on shower doors and mirrors inside great product.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #21

Invisible glass cleans everything off of my Windows. Then reapply the rain x.

I use rain x anti-fog on the inside as well.
tacconelli7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #22

I've used RainX ever since it came on the market... When applied as per instructions, there is no haze or build up.. I've never had to remove RainX and frankly, I don't know why I would. When driving in a downpour, thats about the only time I am running my wipers, otherwise the rain just beads right off the glass and wipers are redundant.
Another poster mentioned the ease in scraping ice off.. I will chime in on that as well... Ice and frost zips off with ease.. Bugs no longer adhere permanently to the glass..
Love the stuff...
Old 10-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Thumbs up Problem?

Never experienced a problem with rainx. It wore off after a time. Use wd-40 to remove anything like that. I worked in the oilfield and our vehicles always had grease, or oil on everything. WD will take it off, then use window cleaner to remove the excess wd. Be sure to keep it off your wipers.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
I've been using Rain X with excellent results for years, this does however require actually reading and following the instructions on the package. Recently replaced the original windshield wipers on our 2012 C with Rain X blades and they are the best I have ever used. As far as removing it, just keep driving as mine always disappears with time and mileage. I usually reapply about every three months.

Me too! Some folks thing just wiping on RainX will result is a good job, not so. It is applied per directions, rubbing it on until the smearing disappears, allowing to dry, then rubbing away the dry film. Kinda like using the old Simonize car wax. I love using RainX, when applied properly, rain will quickly bead up and blow away with the wind, sure makes the wipers work less.
Even after thoroughly cleaning the glass, after using RainX, the cloth will have some black on it, proof of removing even more road dirt. We were members of an RV caravan to the Canadian Maritimes last summer. I RainX'ed the MH windshield before leaving home. By the time we returned home the RainX was worn away, but while driving in the Maritimes it sure helped with driving in the rain.
Back 40-50 years ago I used to use Simonize on the glass every time I waxed the car. It had the same effect as RainX, but didn't last nearly as long.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a glass cleaner that I got at a Big Box store. Its a spray foam Type
It works great cleans the windows then the water beads off the windows. (Like a good wax job on Auto how that beads off.)
Granted you will still need the wipers in a heavy down poor but other wise I rarely need too use the wipers.
JMO, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #26

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacconelli7 View Post
Invisible glass cleans everything off of my Windows. Then reapply the rain x.

I use rain x anti-fog on the inside as well.
IMPORTANT. NEVER use regular Rain-X on interior glass or any glass that will not be exposed to the wind. Wind will blow the drops off that form on regular Rain-X.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:
IMPORTANT. NEVER use regular Rain-X on interior glass or any glass that will not be exposed to the wind. Wind will blow the drops off that form on regular Rain-X.

Why not? What's the down side ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I'm surprised that Coca Cola hasn't come up. Maybe not the best method out there but it sure took off dried up rain repellent that got squirted on dry aircraft windscreens. When far from the stock room and the oncoming pilots wrote up 'vision concerns', we would grab a Coke from a galley and a paper towel and clean off the buildup. After seeing how well this works, I don't drink Coke anymore.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote