Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 08:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
How to sanitize a water tank without poison

Is there a way to sanitize a fresh water tank without adding something into the tank that is not safe to drink?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Is there a way to sanitize a fresh water tank without adding something into the tank that is not safe to drink?
No!

Your goal is to kill pathogen bacteria before they kill you. Water treatment 101!

Of course it is the dose that makes the poison.

I stopped sanitizing my tank many years ago and use bottled water for drinking. Since I fill my tank with with treated water I would think there is enough residual 'poison' to keep my tank safe.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post

To sanitize add 1/4 cup of bleach per 16 gallons of water (66/16 = 4.1 or about 1 cup of bleach per 66 gallon fresh water tank) and purge the system. https://www.rvhometown.com/sanitize-...sh-water-tank/. Do it all the time on a new used boat.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:29 PM   #4

I use bleach, but I have heard people use a vinegar water mix. I'd look up the ratio on Google to verify.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #5
laj

You can, but you have to know something about bio- chem to get it right.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #6

Lots of opinions.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/do-y...nk-536308.html
Old 11-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
To sanitize add 1/4 cup of bleach per 16 gallons of water (66/16 = 4.1 or about 1 cup of bleach per 66 gallon fresh water tank) and purge the system. https://www.rvhometown.com/sanitize-...sh-water-tank/. Do it all the time on a new used boat.
Yup, and if you don't rinse the system, the next time the DW takes a shower, she'll come out the BLOND you've always wanted.
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #8

Wouldn't alcohol do the job? A bottle of Everclear, for example. Or maybe Southern Comfort.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
You want to kill small creatures. You are a big creature. The things that kill them can damage you, so just follow the CDC recommendations. Easy peasy, effective, and cheap.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:52 PM   #10

It is a pretty simple and safe process...

High level explanation...

Turn off your water heater.
Use 1/4 cup of regular bleach per 16 gallons of fresh water capacity. A little more is fine. Add it to your fresh water tank. Fill up your fresh water tank to max capacity. Then run water through each water fixture (sinks, shower, toilet, outside shower, washing machine, etc) until you smell bleach. I do both hot and cold lines. Then top off your fresh water tank so it is once again at max full. Then let it sit overnight (some say 4 hours is long enough). While sitting, it should kill any bacteria/etc. That's the goal.

Next day, drain your fresh water tank as much as possible. Then add fresh water into your fresh water tank (I always use a simple filter when adding water). Fill it to max capacity. Then run water through each fixture again (hot and cold) to flush out any of the bleach mixed water. Run 4-5 gallons worth of this fresh water through your hot water line (so that it is flushing water from your hot water heater, which is still off). At this point, 90-95% of the original bleach solution has been flushed out of your fresh water system.

Then empty your fresh water tank as much as possible again. Refill your fresh water tank to max again and run water through each fixture again (hot and cold). Run several gallons of water through the hot water line. At this point, with having flushed the tank twice since adding the bleach, you should have less than 1% of the initial bleach solution in your water system. Safe to drink/use. Most likely that is undetectable/unnoticeable and you can be done and enjoy your fresh water.

If you are paranoid about it, you can empty your fresh water tank completely once more and refill with fresh water. At that point, you would expect to have less than 0.1% of the original bleach solution (1000th the amount of bleach). Definitely safe to drink/use.

It is a simple process, especially if you are somewhere with full hookups. It is recommended to sanitize your fresh water system at least once per year. That's what I do. I want to use my fresh water for washing, brushing teeth, showering, and drinking.

Over years and years of water cycling through the tank, sometimes sitting for months at a time in the heat of summer, etc....I wanna sanitize my tank at least once per year. I don't understand those who "never sanitize their tank" when it is so simple, but to each their own. I'm sure some number of people get sick each year using RV water that has been contaminated. I'm trying not to be one of them.

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:54 PM   #11

RV Antifreeze, when used as directed, is not toxic. You could use that.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
Wouldn't alcohol do the job? A bottle of Everclear, for example. Or maybe Southern Comfort.
Now that's an idea !!!
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:44 PM   #13

We never sanitized our tank in 16 yr. of full-timing. We drank & cooked with the tank water. But then, it's constantly getting filled and emptied.

If you're an occasional RVer then, yes, I would sanitize because it's just sitting there promoting growth of 'stuff'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:58 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
A light solution of bleach and water as a sanitizer is hardly poison.
Simply follow the basic sanitization procedures in your owners manual and you'll be fine. Twogypsies and I are on the same page. If you fill with "municipal" water you'll never really have a problem if you're full time or use the water system on a frequent basis.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water