Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How to sanitize fresh water hose on power reel?

When sanitizing your fresh water system, how do you sanitize a hose that is on a power reel? Searched around and all kinds of articles on the holding tank, and there are posts stating to soak the hoses in a tub, but nothing on a water hose you can not easily remove. I was thinking about unhooking the side of the hose reel going into the fresh water tank. Then using a funnel and pour bleach and water mixture it into the hose, but that seems like a hard way of doing it. Suggestions?
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #2

This is the way I sanitize, I take the filter out of my inline filter canister, fill the canister with sanitize mix, then run the mix from the canister into the hose, giving it time to work (hour or so), then turn the fresh water source on to sanitize the tank.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Haven't done it on a power reel, but with my regular hose I simply made sure it was empty and poured a half cup of bleach in it and then attached it to a faucet and let it slowly fill. This works for the fresh water tank as well.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:30 AM   #4

I filter our water externally. When I sanitize our water supply, I remove the filter cartridge and all the bleach. then fill up the onboard water tank. then send that water throughout the water system. It's simple and easy and not messy to sanitize the water system this way.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have 75' of collapsing hose on a power reel. I also have a 90 gal. fresh water tank, so I have to add 3 cups of bleach (to do it in 4 hours). I pour 1 cup in the hose at a time. Turn on the water and push that water into the tank. Disconnect the hose at the faucet so the hose collapses, then repeat.

However, the trick I learnt here is to find a hose-end garden sprayer that has a hose thread on the spray end. Put your bleach in the sprayer, hook the spray end to your reel hose & the other end to your hose on the faucet. Those sprayers seem to be harder to find, but they are the best solution.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I have 75' of collapsing hose on a power reel. I also have a 90 gal. fresh water tank, so I have to add 3 cups of bleach (to do it in 4 hours). I pour 1 cup in the hose at a time. Turn on the water and push that water into the tank. Disconnect the hose at the faucet so the hose collapses, then repeat.

However, the trick I learnt here is to find a hose-end garden sprayer that has a hose thread on the spray end. Put your bleach in the sprayer, hook the spray end to your reel hose & the other end to your hose on the faucet. Those sprayers seem to be harder to find, but they are the best solution.
I just purchased a low cost cartridge filter and added the hose adapters on the two ends. Pour the bleach into the filter container without the filter and fill the tank. What I was wrestling with was how to sanitize the hose. Once we add the bleach and fill the tank, there is no diluted bleach solution being held in the hose to sanitize it. Guess I will just get something to hold one end up above the reel, mix up some solution, and let gravity do its thing. If you ever cut open a water hose after it has been used for awhile, you will understand why I want to do it.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The hose end sprayer solves that issue. You will sanitize the whole system this way.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The hose end sprayer solves that issue. You will sanitize the whole system this way.
You need to let the bleach solution set for a few hours in the hose to kill off the mold. If you place the bleach in the hose end sprayer, how do you keep it in the hose? How do you control the proper concentration of the bleach? Since higher concentrations of Bleach can damage some plastics, always concerned about damaging the hose which will ultimately burst at the worst possible time. When using the sprayer to fill the holding tank, never worried about it since it flows quickly through the hose into the holding tank and diluted to the proper concentration.

Apologize if I am missing something obvious.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I hadn't thought about the hose. Our hose came with a screw-on cap. I would just put the cap on and let it sit.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #10

How about a 5 gallon bucket, small fountain pump (with a hose outlet), and a short hose whip? Make up the solution, hook up the hoses, and let it circulate for however long it is desired. Flush with fresh and done.
mytimeyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I hadn't thought about the hose. Our hose came with a screw-on cap. I would just put the cap on and let it sit.
Yep. Perfect breeding ground for mold and etc.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeyet View Post
How about a 5 gallon bucket, small fountain pump (with a hose outlet), and a short hose whip? Make up the solution, hook up the hoses, and let it circulate for however long it is desired. Flush with fresh and done.
WINNER! This simple suggestion surpasses any expectations I was hoping for. Not only kills whatever is in there, it will help flush it out into the bucked which is a lot better than my holding tank!
Old 10-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeyet View Post

Does this require you to remove the hose from the reel? And what about the tubing between the hose and the fresh water tank?
Old 10-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Does this require you to remove the hose from the reel? And what about the tubing between the hose and the fresh water tank?
Coach is not here, but good point. Will probably put a 3 way bypass Valve somewhere in-line just before dumping into the fresh water tank. Have all of the tools, so who knows, it might even be one of those easy afternoon RV projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ByPassValve.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	347197  

Tags
power, fresh water, water, hose