Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Here's what the government says about driving efficiently.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #16

I am with you Baraff........cant wait for the winds to change direction
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
"Drive like you don't have brakes." This was my dad's secret as he won his company's fuel mileage award every year as a long haul truck driver.
Yeah, I have heard that before. It's actually very hard to do and takes alot of skill.

This might be too extreme but how about:

- Shift it into neutral and take the load off the engine on long down hill grades.

A friend of mine speculated that doing this might reduce gas. Hmmmmmmm, too unsafe and risky?? hmmmmmm??? Okay, that's stupid isn't it??
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #18

Dont worry algee fuel is just around the corner.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Some really great tips, thanks for sharing.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #20

In my rig on the flats doing 60 mph I get 12 mpg. 65 I get 10.5 70 I get 9 big difference in mpg. 35 years ago I drove swinging beef from Co. to NY. We would all wait for a tail wind to leave. Might be 6 hr or more but no wind or a tail wind we made it in the same time as if we left in a headwind and used a lot less fuel.
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
The wind thing is huge. There was a Mythbusters episode where they were testing whether tailgaiting a big rig would save fuel, and the results were astonishing (to me anyway). It was something like 95% increase in MPG if you followed at 1 foot. (which they actually did to test it). I won't be tailgaiting any big rigs to save gas, but I imagine one could get significant MPG improvements by driving with a tailwind.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
Hope the price of oil stays over $100. Remember 2008 when everyone whined about high fuel prices? They got their wish and prices came down - and the economy absolutely tanked, real estate values plummeted, and unemployment skyrocketed. Added 2 years to my working career instead of retiring at 65 and hitting the road. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.
There's no way lower fuel costs caused the ecomic problems. It was the higher fuel costs in the spring and summer of 2008 that pushed us over the edge. When fuel prices go up, ALL prices go up. Everything in the store got there on a truck. Higher fuel prices mean higher shipping costs which lead to higher retail prices. With the economy already leaning "south" the higher prices of everything pushed us over the edge.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #23

My wife frequently tries the 1 foot tailgating, but I have not noticed any fuel savings.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #24

How about fueling to half full at about 6 lbs per gallon times say 50 gallons. Why pay to haul fuel we usually have to stop to get the kinks out of the old bones anyway.
Oooh did I say that
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are my age you really won't care how much gas get to be you will just keep on keeping on.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
"Drive like you don't have brakes." This was my dad's secret as he won his company's fuel mileage award every year as a long haul truck driver.
"Drive like you don't have brakes." I never thought of it that way but thats how I've been driving and it really makes a difference in my MPG. My wife tells me I'm going to get a ticket some day because I tend to roll through stop signs. If I get stopped, I tell the cop that "I'm driving like I don't have brakes to save fuel."
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #27

I sold my travel trailer. My mileage instantly went from 8 mpg to 32 mpg.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
My wife frequently tries the 1 foot tailgating, but I have not noticed any fuel savings.
Well, it's not a myth. They drive in the draft of the car in front of them in auto racing all the time so they don't have to pit as often.

Quote:
How about fueling to half full at about 6 lbs per gallon times say 50 gallons. Why pay to haul fuel we usually have to stop to get the kinks out of the old bones anyway.
Oooh did I say that
Good idea!
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas