Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #127

Can we all just agree that this thread has gone from "tell the OP how to handle this" to a discussion of how we would all handle a similar situation? And that maybe such discussions can be worthwhile even if the OP has handled it?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #128

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Can we all just agree that this thread has gone from "tell the OP how to handle this" to a discussion of how we would all handle a similar situation? And that maybe such discussions can be worthwhile even if the OP has handled it?
Finally!! Somebody with good sense has pointed out that any particular thread can be useful to many people for many different reasons.

I've never understood the concept of "closing" a thread, as if all that can be said has already been said. That's absurd.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
As the OP I am happy to report that the subjects of this thread installed new Toyo's all around Yesterday.
hoo ray problem resolved!
karensay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #130

This may be my all time record for number of replies.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #131

I would say nice looking rig how are the tires?
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #132

Why do threads get closed, because the same opinions get repeated over and over. Or a thread can go off the rails. Threads run their course and get shutdown. This thread is a prime example, but it's not my call. We're talking about tires that went bad and needed changing. The OPs friend did just that, all we're doing now is beating a dead horse.
I've been a mod on different forums that had completely different subject matter. I currently mod a boating forum... I've seen it all.....
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #133

My neighbor recently pointed out that some of my tires are 7 years old and said he had been told by his insurance company that in some states you can be held liable if
You are involved in an accident caused by tires that old, does anybody know if this is true?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #134

Thanks to this thread, I took a close look at the tires on my 11 year old 45ft Mountain Aire. I had replaced the steer tires last year with Michelins to match the rears. I took a close look at the rears and they were weather cracking on the side walls and I could just envision all the body damage if one erupted. Yesterday, went to the local tire shop for replacements. They could not get Michelins because their production was hindered by virus shut downs. They did have a brand used extensively by local truckers, farmers and ranchers. It nearly matched Michlin in all performance ratings at 66% of the cost and were available. They will outlast me and my motor home so problem solved. Rather than pay the $18.00 disposal fee, I donated the like new tires to friend that has a trucking and construction business that can extract a lot of mileage from these tires. A blow out on one of his 18 wheelers is not destructive, only an irritant.

Trees
bgtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtrees View Post
Thanks to this thread, I took a close look at the tires on my 11 year old 45ft Mountain Aire. I had replaced the steer tires last year with Michelins to match the rears. I took a close look at the rears and they were weather cracking on the side walls and I could just envision all the body damage if one erupted. Yesterday, went to the local tire shop for replacements. They could not get Michelins because their production was hindered by virus shut downs. They did have a brand used extensively by local truckers, farmers and ranchers. It nearly matched Michlin in all performance ratings at 66% of the cost and were available. They will outlast me and my motor home so problem solved. Rather than pay the $18.00 disposal fee, I donated the like new tires to friend that has a trucking and construction business that can extract a lot of mileage from these tires. A blow out on one of his 18 wheelers is not destructive, only an irritant.

Trees
What brand are the tires that you installed as replacements?
jsa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #136

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
My neighbors just got home from purchasing an older large class A. They drove it over a thousand miles to get it here. We keep ours in the same storage yard so today I walked over to take a look.

When I looked at the tires I saw extensive cracking in the sidewalls. Then I looked at the date codes and almost fell down. The ones that I could see had the code of 1603. I could be wrong but that looks to me to be the 16th week of 2003.

I want to say something to them but they are not the type to take this information in the spirit intended. They know pretty much everything about everything.

What should I do?
This is a long thread - I hope what I am about to write has already been written.....

I would tell them. If they look confused, perhaps because they are 1st time rv owners, explain how tire get cracked.

If they take the info in the spirit it is given - great! If not - at least you can sleep at night knowing you did the right thing.

One thing I use to like to start a conversation with a subordinate, who also was a walking - talking jack of all trades - master of nine!!!

"I know you are probably taking care of this......."

"As you know......."

What tires are you going to replace your current tires with?"

You get the picture.

Let us know if you have or when you ever do approach your neighbor....

Take care,

g
Old 10-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #137

A thought occurred to me...if you have an accident involving other vehicles or personal injuries and the cause determined by an insurance investigator was a blown out OLD tire, I bet the insurance company would reject your claim.
John
Old 10-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
This is a long thread - I hope what I am about to write has already been written.....

Take care,

g
More times than you know, see post 53 and 118. This horse is dust by now.......
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
A thought occurred to me...if you have an accident involving other vehicles or personal injuries and the cause determined by an insurance investigator was a blown out OLD tire, I bet the insurance company would reject your claim.
John
They'll pay it because it's a claim against YOU. That's what liability insurance is for. What *could* happen, if the insurer thinks you were deliberately negligent, is sue you to recover the amount they paid out. Most likely is they'll just cancel or not renew the policy.

If you're talking about damage to your coach, they might find a way, under your policy, to deny the claim. Again, they'd have to suspect fraud or deliberate negligence.

This is a reminder for everyone to READ their insurance policies - these are *contracts* that spell out what is covered, what the limits of recovery under the policy are, and what your rights are if you disagree. If you don't understand something, call your agent. Explaining things is part of how they earn their 15% commission.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #140

In Massachusetts the yearly state inspection includes tires. They are not inspected for age but for tread depth and visible defects. If you have a current inspection sticker then you are good to go.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote