Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #1

How to Use a cpap machine without power while RVing

Hi all. I am now using a phillips cpap machine at night. For those of you who RV off the grid and are using a cpap what are you using and why? Portability, ability to power the cpap for more than 1 night, and cost are considerations. We are generally off the grid for 3 to 6 nights at a time. Thanks and happy travels.
geobiker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2022, 06:18 PM   #2

I run mine off 110, but I have a 2800 watt inverter and 800 amp hours of battery capacity as well as 640 watts of solar.

When we used to tent camp I had a portable battery pack and a 12volt cord for the cpap, Those should be available from your cpap supplier... I use cpap.com and have had good service from them.

Hopefully you find a combination that works for you.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #3

I don't use a CPAP, but my brother and his wife both do. They used to run theirs on the trailer battery, but now use a Jackery they bought primarily for their CPAPs and Starlink. Solar charging and a generator backup means as many nights out as they wish.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #4

We both run Phillips Airsense10 units off grid. We do have a 2500W/5000W pure sine inverter ,450w solar and a 240Ah AGM battery bank. It's not a huge battery array and the inverter is honestly too big and sucks a lot of Ah just idling.

To save power, we run the CPAP with the tube heater and humidifier off. I'm due for a new CPAP and this next one will be a travel model, much smaller and will get the battery pack for it so it can run overnight. Easy solution is to get the battery pack for the CPAP, won't be cheap though. You'll still need some method to recharge it if using it several nights. A small inverter will likely do the job.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #5

I also run off of 120v onboard inverter. We mainly boondock and are set up to be off grid. We go out for months at a time and both remote work so need to power computers and internet.

You have a couple of choices:
Add an onboard inverter, runs off RV battery
Add an indépendant inverter, runs off RV battery
Get an inverter/battery combo like a Jackery.
Get a 12v converter for your CPAP, runs off RV battery

Regardless of which choice you make, you will have to have a way to charge up the battery bank you are using. Typically that will be either generator or solar. If you go solar, make sure you get enough to actually fully charge for the amount of battery you have used.

Your cheapest route is likely the independent inverter, however it is not as efficient as the 12v.

The Jackery is nice since it is an all in one ready to go, but your cost/AH of battery is way more expensive then building your own system.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
Geobiker, I am a Viet Nam Vet and I use a C-pap (Res-Med) also. Not to rain on your parade, but, the VA has a RECALL on all the Phillips machine!! You may want to ck this out. The previous post are spot on the way they use theirs... Good luck. Jim 75 2012 MADP 4336
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #7

My wife uses a Resmed 10 and we off-grid camp in our travel trailer 98% of the time. I bought a DC power adaptor that plugs into the 12volt power adapter on her side of the bed.

Works great!
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #8

I have a Transend travel CPAP with a battery that will last one night plus, but not two. My wife has a 12v unit as well that we run off a portable battery. (Some just don't have enough amp hours, so you have to do the math.)

Many of the newer CPAPS, like our regular ones, are 24v, making a convertor or investor necessary. One of these trios, we need to see if she can run hers all night from the house battery.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I've had my current ResMed AirSense 11 about a year now and use a Bestek 300 watt Pure Sine Wave inverter that plugs into a 12v accessory outlet to run off the trailer batteries. With the humidifier and heated tubing off the average consumption is ~1.5ah/hour. The AirSense 11 is a 24v unit and it wasn't until recently that a 12v adapter became available for it. The 1.5ah running through the Bestek isn't that much so I've not bothered to pick up the 12v adapter.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I've had my current ResMed AirSense 11 about a year now and use a Bestek 300 watt Pure Sine Wave inverter that plugs into a 12v accessory outlet to run off the trailer batteries. With the humidifier and heated tubing off the average consumption is ~1.5ah/hour. The AirSense 11 is a 24v unit and it wasn't until recently that a 12v adapter became available for it. The 1.5ah running through the Bestek isn't that much so I've not bothered to pick up the 12v adapter.
^^^What he said...X2
I have the same ResMed 24v unit. Can run it unheated for days thru a cheap 400w PSW inverter either on the coach house battery bank or one grp31 AGM deep cycle battery at the fish camp bunkhouse.
No issues whatsoever.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobiker39 View Post
Hi all. I am now using a phillips cpap machine at night. For those of you who RV off the grid and are using a cpap what are you using and why? Portability, ability to power the cpap for more than 1 night, and cost are considerations. We are generally off the grid for 3 to 6 nights at a time. Thanks and happy travels.
Lots of good advice posted above. The details mater.

Basically the 12 volt motor home house battery becomes the power source. The CPAP blower and controls use very little power. Even a small motor home house battery will run a CPAP for many days.

Different machines have different requirements. Some have a 12 volt adapter that plugs into the CPAP and connects to cigarette lighter sockets or connects directly to a battery.

Many CPAP controls require clean 12 volt power. Older converters and alternator charging systems can damage sensitive controls. For this reason, use an adapter provide by the CPAP machine manufacturer.

Both 12 volt and 24 volt CPAP may have 12 volt adapters. My wife's current machine is a 24 volt machine. She uses the 12 volt adapter designed for the machine. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket, but also comes with alligator clips for connecting directly to a battery.

The humidifier and hose heaters use a lot more power. They usually require 120 volt power. Check specifications for yours in the manual. It will probably have warnings that don't make a lot of sense, but you most likely need a small pure sine wave inverter. A significant battery bank will be required for 6 days of running.

Many CPAP machines require clean 120 volt power. Pure sine wave inverters are usually required. No point in buying old technology in any case.

You should consider not using the hose heater. If you are using it to reduce condensation in the hose, it means you have the humidifier turned up too high. Turn it down until the hose does not condense. It will not help dry nose issues to breath 100% humidity air. Condensation indicates greater than 100% humidity.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobiker39 View Post
I in stalled an extra 12v battery beside the other two.I only use it for running the CPAP .Nothing else connected to it .I charge it with solar or a battery charger.this summer I slept 10 nights in a row no problem .If I was to do it again I would get a 12v Litium battery and charger and connect that to

it.Less weight,less room .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:26 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Phillips Dream Machine. Our coach has plenty of battery power if needed. However, my Phillips unit can be separated, eliminating the water tank and heater. If yours is the same, I would do that to reduce power consumption.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:48 PM   #14

C-pap for camping

I have a res-med bi-pap and the power supply for it is 110v puts out 19v. I found a 12v cigarette plug power supply on Amazon - didn't get the cheapest - but it came with a plug that fits my bi-pap and the bonus was it also has a plug that fits my HP computer too. Near the bed, I put a panel that has a cigarette lighter socket, two USB charging outlets and a voltage meter. I always use the 12v power supply even if I have a power hookup just for the convenience of not having to swap power supplies. I went with a 12v power converter because of the inherent inefficiency of converting 12v DC to 110v AC and then converting it back to DC to power the bi-pap.
Barsuhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, rving