Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How would you handle air pressure checks?

I have my new rig in an outside storage facility, basically just a lot with a fence and gait, no electric.

I have a thing about checking tire pressure regularly, and topping it off as needed. Since there is no power in the storage lot, and since doing the air at a nearby gas station is all but impossible I have been thinking about buying an electric air compressor for the rig, and running it off the generator when needed. With recommended pressures of 90 PSI, but old car-type pump is no longer up to the task.

So, does that make sense or is there a better solution? If it is sensible, any recommendations for electric air pumps?

Thanks.
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Rich:

Look at this company Viair as they supply a lot of air compressors to 4 wheelers who need a lot of air at the end of a ride. The compressors they sell are 12 & 24 volt. I hope they can help

http://www.viaircorp.com/
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Rich...First of all Congrats on your new RV!! Have you posted any photos of your new rig yet??

I have done a search on Portable Air Compressors so you can see what others say about the different models.

It is easy to do a search on your own by clicking on the "Search" button near the right corner of the forum area.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a Sears brand 110v compressor with a maximum of 150 psi -- keeps my 5th wheel tires at 110 psi and also my large truck tires. Patience when using these low volume type compressors -- you may have to wait for the pressure to build up, then add air and wait. Not a big deal.

MM, your link appears broken?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Many of us have something like this. 150 psi, 6 gallon tank and quite capable of airing up any tire.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Rich...First of all Congrats on your new RV!! Have you posted any photos of your new rig yet??

I have done a search on Portable Air Compressors so you can see what others say about the different models.

It is easy to do a search on your own by clicking on the "Search" button near the right corner of the forum area
Thanks. Like your link, my search came up empty. Or at least it is showing no matches when I click it. But I'll try again with differnt search terms.

Ahh, pictures. I'll work on it .
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
I use a Sears brand 110v compressor with a maximum of 150 psi -- keeps my 5th wheel tires at 110 psi and also my large truck tires. Patience when using these low volume type compressors -- you may have to wait for the pressure to build up, then add air and wait. Not a big deal.

MM, your link appears broken?
Hmmm..I tested it last night and it worked fine. I just fixed the link..but I am wondering if it is set like the attachment setting was..If I log out- it breaks the link??
I will have to do some testing on it....

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #8

I have an electric air pump and it works well with my 400 watt inverter that I keep in my toad for a variety of electric tools and even my laptop. You can plug it into a cig lighter. Any inverter larger than this needs to be hooked direcly to the batteries (no big deal). Buying a tool like this that has many uses keeps costs and junk accumulation down.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If your new rig has air suspension, there will already be an air compressor onboard. You can use that to fill your tires up to about 100-105 psi.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #10

I like the idea of having an on board compressor. I also have the Porter Cable in the photo above, it works great and will fir in a low compartment.

Also, this would give you a chance to exercise the generator, not that I do that ofter enough!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Picked up a new Husky 1-tank, compact, meets the needs and parameters suggested here - though a little light on the cubic feet/min department. Tried it and it works well. The blower attachment might be nice for blowing leaves off awnings, too.

Thanks for the tips.