Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #57

I had a problem several years ago with our Fifth wheel black tank. Seems the previous owner hadn't used enough H20 when filling it or in flushing. So all that TP paper never dissolved. When that happens what water is there along with the TP forms a very solid almost like cement and impossible to remove. My repairman when dad to replace the waste tank he wasn't very happy with the odor. Though I did flush and drain several times. The moral of tte story if you want o keep your favorite repair person, please enough water. Really more water isn't aa problem.
The Hallocks,no MH yet but have 1great dog and 1 Yorkie terror
The Hallocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could not get our black tank to quit smelling like a porta potty, it was especially noticeable when the Bath exhaust fan is on when the shower is in use. Then one day we were camped with very low water pressure, so I removed the pressure regulator from my city water intake. The extra water pressure has made a huge difference. The regulator was really more of a restrictor than a regulator.

FYI I use the Oxykem drop ins. I let em dissolve in the bowl first, then flush em down the drain at some point.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Some people don't want their motorhome, everything in it and everything around it to smell like an outhouse.
This is the attitude that I'm talking about.

Why do you think your motorhome will smell??? As mentioned, the black/gray tanks are vented and will not allow odors into penetrate into your coach UNLESS the system is flawed in one way or another. If it is, then you need to repair the problem....not mask it with deodorizers.

Using plenty of water will keep everything operating normally, WITHOUT making your motorhome smell like and outhouse. Keep an open mind about this and give water a try. It helps to occasionally use some soap (I use liquid Oxy-Clean laundry detergent) when you travel along with about 5 gallons of water. This will flush out any solids or tp that has failed to come out during the last drain.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #60

I'm thinking, "to each his/her own".

We've been using Aqua Kem liquid in our porta potties (the small ones used in boats, tents, tent trailers, etc.) TCs and MH since the mid '70s and will continue to do so. I know what it's like when we run out and what it's like with the Aqua Kem. We prefer the Aqua Kem. We've also tried other treatments and have always come back.

All this, and I grew up in a barnyard (on a farm).

Just our choice, others may vary.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
We've been using Aqua Kem liquid in our porta potties (the small ones used in boats, tents, tent trailers, etc.)
Porta potties are very different from RV holding tanks. They're not vented.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Porta potties are very different from RV holding tanks. They're not vented.
Not totally, at least in my mind, because both flush in a similar manner with the sliding valve arrangement. While the TC and MH holding tanks are vented, the porta potties are "sealed" until dumping or flushing. Both our porta potties and the RV potties are vented to the interior of the "camper" any time they're flushed and all are directly above the "black tank". Not exactly the same, but similar.

I'm guessing there are some different flushing arrangements for toilets on newer RVs that are better than the sliding valve arrangement, but we've never had one.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Not totally, at least in my mind, because both flush in a similar manner with the sliding valve arrangement. While the TC and MH holding tanks are vented, the porta potties are "sealed" until dumping or flushing. Both our porta potties and the RV potties are vented to the interior of the "camper" any time they're flushed and all are directly above the "black tank".

Steve
Of course there are preventive measure for this problem. First, make sure the exhaust fan is NOT running, and secondly, don't get up from the pot before flushing. Of course, for us guys, we don't typically sit to pee so a short burst of odor "MAY" appear. However, I have found that if you add water to the toilet prior to flushing, that the extra water will prevent odors from escaping. Just gotta be quick with the flush.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #64

I ll give this a try. Growing up hillbilly, we were told by Darrel And Darrel to put all our old milk and buttermilk down the pipe to help digest and assist in bacteria to help with the tank. It sounded good, but I never tested the theory in college. We ve used five septic systems, raising our family's since my birth, and as far as I know, none of the drain fields were replaced. Not bad for red clay dirt. We never pumped the tanks either. I have been having campers with baths since my first Midas in the 70s. The milk helps! But we always laugh when I dump the tanks at the sound! My DW says the black tank is lactose intolerant
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #65

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again "It's a big tank full of poop. It's not a septic tank. It's not a waste treatment system. It's just a big tank of poop."

Flush with at least a full bowl of water (2 is better) and empty when full. That's all there is to it. Put some deodorant in it if it makes you feel better but it's not necessary. And a trash can full of used toilet paper is just beyond description.

However, to each his own.
I agree.
This site is full of people with issues from the crap tank.
There is even a guy who puts his toilet paper (used) in a container and not the toilet.
Now for all you newbies out there Here is what you do.
First time out make sure the tank is full of crap!
Now hold the toilet valve open.
Stick your arms down the toilet up to you elbow.
Stir like crazy.
Go out side and pull the dump valve.
Now you have a perfect job well done.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #66

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
I guess no one on here has any young grand children, I would love to watch someone flush wet wipes and a soiled diaper down the vacuflush toilet., so what do you do with it? Let me answer that, you bag it and throw it in the outside trash can. One commonly used item I have seen is the big, tall plastic containers that holds soiled baby diapers,called a diaper gennie, they are in almost every nursery, being used everywhere...no ones gagging... just sayin.
Funny I just read this when a few hours ago I saw a Diaper service Van picking up a bag dirty Diapers. I was thinking man it must stink in that truck.

I wonder if anybody thought of recycled Toilet Paper?
Anybody know what a good used van is worth?
I going to see if the idea will fly!
Than I will try and corner the market!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Funny I just read this when a few hours ago I saw a Diaper service Van picking up a bag dirty Diapers. I was thinking man it must stink in that truck.

I wonder if anybody thought of recycled Toilet Paper?
Anybody know what a good used van is worth?
I going to see if the idea will fly!
Than I will try and corner the market!
I'm thinking all your profits will dissolve, and you will be lucky to just "scrape" by! And, yes, therein lies the "rub"!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, so here is my definitive answer on the problem I experienced with the bags from drop ins not disintegrating. First off, I will explain that I have a vacu-flush system and consider myself kind of an expert on them. If you read some of my other posts, I have been through every inch of the system, understand them in depth and have even come up with a fix for a certain issue that fleetwood is now untilizing at their service facilities. That being said, I missed an obvious possible issue that could cause problems with the system and that it that these bags just dont dissolve properly. After last weeks issues, I did a little experiment. I first tried dissolving one of these bags in tap water. Lets just say at best it took some major agitating and even then just turned to a goopy stringy mess that when allowed to dry out turned back into a hard, crispy sort of substance. Dissolving them in super hot water from the tap did no better.

So, this week, I disolved them in water, removed the remnants of the bag and then poured the contents down the toilet and another down my sink to clean the grey tank. When I went to dump the system yesterday, I used a clear section and then my flo jet waste pump/macerator. To my surprise, I saw the remnants of "packets" I must have used months or even years ago, coming out! I had left the bio/chemical/cleaner/scrubber/grease eater/poop mixture in the tank for an entire week. I will tell you that I'm pretty sure it did loosen and clean the tank walls fairly well. I say this because when I use my black tank sprayer system, the water normally flows clear pretty quickly. After a week of sitting in the tank, the rinse process took much longer and I saw stuff coming out that would normally not have been there.

Anyhow, the lesson learned here is that I will stop the use of these dissolving packets. Mainly because I have a vacu slush system and I now am forced to use the waste pump due to the current place we are staying. I dont think they would be an issue for someone using a gravity toilet and a regular dump hose, but either way, they dont disolve completely. I will be switching to a liquid form of whatever product I decide to use going forward. As far as the granules themselves creating a problem for the vacu flush system or the bag for that matter, I dont think its an issue. The way it works, I highly doubt they would cause any issues with the bellows and the bag itself will not cause a clog in the system as in order for it to enter the system, it has to pass through a 1" funnel which effectively pulverizes whatever is passing through it and even at one inch, is too small to clog anything downstream of that opening. Again, I do know that these pulverized bags do not dissolve and will at a minimum build up in the tank and will cause problems with any type of macerator or waste pump.

As far as using or not using chemicals, to each his own. When I spoke of odors, I was not referring to odors in the rv, I was reffering of odors emanating from roof vents and being smelled downwind by neighbors. It is due to the fact that I want to be a good neighbor that I will continue to use toilet chemicals. Also, there is the rare occasion when a roof vent fan can draw vent smells into the rv from the roof vent or for that matter a breeze. I also like to treat my grey tank as there is nothing worse than having a trap dry out from bouncing down the road and getting that nice sour grey tank smell filling your nice expensive rv. It is for exactly these reasons that I will not only continue to keep my tanks clean but also use chemicals.

Tags
power