Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 08:52 AM   #1

Hurricane; Florida Residents Share Your Status

I live in Venice where the hurricane caused tremendous damage. Iíve been out traveling in our fifth wheel for the last eight weeks but we were making our way back to Florida for the winter. We were supposed to get back next week but obviously we have to wait to see if thatís possible.

We rent storage for our rv in a yard in Nokomis and Iím not even sure if the storage yard is even accessible. Plus I donít want to be in anybody's way that is performing rescue and repair operations so I planning on staying out longer to be out of the way.

I was wondering what fellow Florida residents and seasonal visitors have to share about your experiences currently with your homes, families and plans for the winter now that this disaster has struck.

Itís a terrible feeling seeing all the videos and pictures of the destruction that our state has taken. So many folks have lost everything. I feel fortunate to have been in the rv and away from the storm. My house did sustain some damage. Roof tiles and gutters missing but overall itís still inhabitable.

I started this thread to have others reflect and discuss this storm with the hope that sharing your views and experiences and plans will help others through what ever comes next with the recovery and rebuild process.
C Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
My experiences based on hurricanes (a Seminole word BTW) that clobbered the gulf coast of MS, is that it will be weeks (if not months) before every street, every power line, and communications cables are restored to every home.

The best thing you can do right now is wait until you know that you can get into and out of your home's street, go check on it, and then decide when you can actually return.

JMHO
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #3

The English word "hurricane" comes from the Taino (the indigenous people of the Caribbean and Florida) word "HuricŠn," who was the Carib Indian god of evil.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #4

We are currently in VA but own an RV lot in Hardy County and have seen video of our park, Torrey Oaks. The eye passed about 15 miles south of it. Lots of trees down and some landed on 5th wheels, but that was the only damage to RVs there. Nobody was hurt and most stayed in one of the buildings there, not their coaches.
The Peace River crested at 26 feet and the 1000 trails in Zolfo Springs completly flooded. The Myakka River crested at 18 feet at the state park. Anything along either of those rivers probably got flooded.
There is no power in Wachula and it is likely not going to be any until at least Sunday.
I talked to Suncoast Designers in Hudson this morning as we have an appointment there in several weeks. Kim said there was little damage in that area and we could keep our appointment. About 6 people in the VA park where we are have places in FL from St. Pete, to Orlando, to Titusville and all say there was minimal damage to their property.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:27 PM   #5

We have a bungalow on pine island which the 30 mile wide eye passed directly over. The causeway is washed out at places and possibly the bridge is damaged. Photos I have seen of the bridge look ok but that means little. Our place is around the red circle on the storm map. The photo of our neighborhood is from the coast guard during a fly over. Surprisingly, our little place looks good, the carport is still there and our palm trees are still standing. One person said our area only got two feet of storm surge. If thatís true we were exceeding lucky. It sounds like it could be quite awhile till the open the island for residents. The National Guard is there already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	355F1FFB-3E3F-416F-A4BB-49BEBECC486A.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	377683   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEBFF7A-4566-4DDA-8233-91416A48112F.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	377684  

klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:54 AM   #6

Satellite Images of Storm Damage

Looks like NOAA has some of the west coast of Florida up:

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i...4200/-81.9700]
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
Looks like NOAA has some of the west coast of Florida up:

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i...4200/-81.9700]

Is this after IAN ? Stuff Iím seeing doesnít show damage?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #8

A quick post Ian update from Fort Myers, FL:

Looking out the window (downtown Fort Myers), most of the boats in Old Bridge Marina at the north end of the Edison bridge are sunk. This is the marina that most of the news media show. It is 1.1 miles north of us.

Was able to get out for a walk yesterday. Trees and power lines down everywhere. Some traffic signals, even at major intersections (like intersection of U.S. 80 & U.S. 41 2 blocks east of downtown were still out (no power). Boats, even large ones washed up on roads, in parking lots, etc.

The Fort Myers Municipal Marina did slightly better with damage to only about half the boats, as the highest winds were from their shore/no fetch. Couple of 60' motoryachts broke loose and are stacked on top of each other on approach to the southbound Edison Bridge.

Homes in many areas of Fort Myers had 4+' of water in them from the 8-10' storm surge. There is a 25' fishing boat is washed up on First Street.

The bridge over to Sanibel Island is missing a span of over 100 yards (according to local TV station who had film from that location) so no vehicle access on and off Sanibel or Captiva-- probably for a long time.

The TV station across the street recorded sustained winds over 100 MPH before going off-air due to flooding.

It ain't pretty!
Old 10-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #9

Unhappy Blown over in Arcadia

Our 2018 Vanleigh Vilano blew over, along with about 13 other 5th Wheels. Arcadia got hit pretty hard. Insurance company has scheduled an inspection for 10/17. I canít imagine itís not totaled. Iím hoping I wonít have to tussle with the adjusters. Any advice is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FE66344-DB5F-499C-AC2D-D445C7638488.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	377714   Click image for larger version

Name:	99F33287-B6D5-445B-ADBA-2FD872DEC6A5.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	377715  

dgood7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #10

dgood, up-righting it will cause more damage than what is now has.
First Puerto Rico, now Florida, then S.C. More major blows to the U.S.A. economy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, hurricane