Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #1

I 95 South Baltimore Scott Key Bridge

Heading south soon and I want to avoid the Key bridge. The tunnels are not an option with the propane on board. Has anyone taken the I 695 loop towards Towson and back around to I 95 ? Are there any height restrictions ? I am at 13'. I know its a little longer going that way, but I don't like that bridge. Its steep and the lanes are narrow.
pact40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 04:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pact40 View Post
Heading south soon and I want to avoid the Key bridge. The tunnels are not an option with the propane on board. Has anyone taken the I 695 loop towards Towson and back around to I 95 ? Are there any height restrictions ? I am at 13'. I know its a little longer going that way, but I don't like that bridge. Its steep and the lanes are narrow.
You don't say where you're coming from, but I used to do the 695 loop all the time after they closed the tunnels to propane. I went down 83 to 695, around the West side of D.C. and back onto 95. The Scott Key bridge is a PITA. Only ever did it a couple times. Added so much more time and just that much extra fuel. There are a few different ways you can go depending on where you're coming from. I now take 15 South out of PA, onto 270 in Maryland and it drops right into 495, so miss Baltimore completely and only have a small amount of D.C. to deal with. Then again, I usually travel at night so traffic isn't usually heavy for me anyway.
DuallyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #3

pact40-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

You should have no height problems taking the Baltimore Beltway (I695) west around Baltimore. It is a major truck route. There will be more traffic going west than you found going east over the Key Bridge.

I believe that the Key has "standard" 12-foot-wide lanes; I could be incorrect. It is a high bridge. We usually go across it (because the traffic is less than I695 west), unless it's raining or unusually windy. In that case, we stick to I695 west.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:08 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
pact40-

I believe that the Key has "standard" 12-foot-wide lanes; I could be incorrect. It is a high bridge. We usually go across it (because the traffic is less than I695 west), unless it's raining or unusually windy. In that case, we stick to I695 west.
We use the Key Bridge every time we go through (actually, around) B'more. MUCH less traffic than going around 695 to the west and you're less likely to get stuck in traffic due to an "accident" or construction delays using the bridge route.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #5

No need to detour. Just turn off all propane tanks before using the tunnels and you are good to go. But if you insist on bypassing the tunnels, the Key Bridge is a much, much, much better option than all the way around the beltway. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

I prefer to run through Deleware into Maryland Eastern Shore across the Patomic into Virgins to outside Richmond. Much easier route. Yes there is traffic and lights but nothing like what is on the Interstates.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyMike View Post
You don't say where you're coming from, but I used to do the 695 loop all the time after they closed the tunnels to propane. I went down 83 to 695, around the West side of D.C. and back onto 95. The Scott Key bridge is a PITA. Only ever did it a couple times. Added so much more time and just that much extra fuel. There are a few different ways you can go depending on where you're coming from. I now take 15 South out of PA, onto 270 in Maryland and it drops right into 495, so miss Baltimore completely and only have a small amount of D.C. to deal with. Then again, I usually travel at night so traffic isn't usually heavy for me anyway.
I live on I-695 (well close anyway). It's longer to circle Baltimore on I-695 on the west. The problem with any of the possible routes is traffic, not to mention the unfortunate drivers who have accidents and bring even freely flowing traffic to a standstill. We've become like Washington and Atlanta - it's almost 24/7. I remember riding my bike on 695 while it was under construction. Wish I knew how fast we were able to go?

Unfortunately there is no time I could provide which would guarentee you a backup free ride. I guess 2am would be the safest bet.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the route but noticed you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
No need to detour. Just turn off all propane tanks before using the tunnels and you are good to go. But if you insist on bypassing the tunnels, the Key Bridge is a much, much, much better option than all the way around the beltway. Chuck
Not true according to the 2019 truckers road atlas which contains route advisories including NO PROPANE over 10 pounds in the tunnels.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
If you're coming from Greenlawn, NY on Lon-guy-land, remember you can't go on the lower level of the GW bridge with propane. That was the ONLY place I was ever stopped (by the toll taker) and redirected to the upper level.

One option is to avoid the whole Philly/Baltimore/DC mess and go out I-78 to 81 to VA-17 and hook up with 95 back in Fredericksburg, VA. In perfect, no traffic situations, that will take you about an hour of extra driving. But we all know that tolls, heavy traffic, detours around bridges and tunnels, and accidents will slow you down significantly in the Philly to DC corridor. I drive from NJ to FL and back at least 6-8 times a year and I'm always taking the relaxing drive via 78/81/17 around that mess.

Also realize that many members of this forum have 'inadvertently' driven through the Baltimore tunnels with no issues.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:44 AM   #11

Thank You all for the options for getting around Baltimore.
pact40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:13 AM   #12

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY FALSE! The only tunnels you can go thru by turning propane valves off are in Virginia- the Bay Bridge tunnel, and Hampton Roads. The Fort McHenry tunnel has been NO PROPANE for years. Used to be able to use truck route thru 895 tunnel, then they made that NO PROPANE also. You ever notice the big giant sign with the picture of a propane tank with a red circle with a line thru it???? Now, do they chase down every RV that goes thru, I'm sure they don't. And I forget what the fine was, but I know it isn't $20. Just because you do it, don't give bad information to others. You can look it up on all of the states DMV websites.
DuallyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Thinking you are not correct on this. From the Maryland Transportation Authority's FAQ page:

Why can't I take my RV or camper through either the Baltimore Harbor or the Fort McHenry Tunnels?

Regulations govern the transportation of certain hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's harbor.

You may be thinking of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, where you can go through with LP gas as long as it's turned off.

BTW, going south from PA I use I83 and take I695 west around Baltimore, but that's a LOT longer than the Key Bridge. Lately I've been going out to Gettysburg and taking US 15 to Leesburg and then US 17 to catch I95 at Fredricksburg. Takes me completely around Baltimore and Washington, and it's much prettier.

Roger
Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #14

Making this trip (again) Sunday... just curious why to avoid the bridge on 695 East? I usually go 695 West towards Towson because a buddy of mine who lives in MD said they were both about the same but that’s the way he prefers. According to Google maps, looks to be only a few miles difference either way.
-
FYI - Google maps (on a desktop, not mobile) will let you grab the cursor with the mouse and drag the route to where you want it and it’s perfect for situations like this - I can print it out so I know where to deviate from the regular car GPS and it recalculates the mileage so I know how much the deviation adds to the trip.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote