Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

I am an idiot

So I live down here in Miami and I have my 2018 travel trailer at a local campground for a few months plugged in and everything and occasionally I take my two kids to the campground for little weekend getaways and so forth. So the hurricane was supposed to be headed this way and so I went and got the trailer ready by bringing in the slide and unplugging everything, however, I totally forgot to empty the fridge and freezer . So I am sure you guys can see where this story is going, but I came back to the camper today and it is sooooo nasty. The smell was the worst smell I have ever smelled in my life. And to top it off there was a dead frog right in the middle of the kitchen floor. So thinking at first the smell was just the dead frog, I got rid of it but then I remembered about the fridge and freezer. Luckily there were no maggots, but there were a few gnat type flying things. So I plugged in the trailer to let the AC cool it off, but I couldn't open the windows because it was raining so I am going t go back on Thursday in something like a Hazmat suit. I was able to Lysol the fridge and freezer before I left but when I go back I plan on bleaching it or something. Can I use bleach on the floors? Anyway, I am definitely going to wash the sheets and everything in there and hopefully no other frogs got in there. I am not real sure how that frog got in there. So my question is, any tips for me? lol. This is gonna be horrible and I hope you guys keep me in your thoughts and prayers on Thursday. I'll need it
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #2

Get some Vaseline and rub it under your nose. I've heard that's supposed to help.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Get some Vaseline and rub it under your nose. I've heard that's supposed to help.
VaPo Rub, not Vaseline....
Old 09-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #4

Yep, Vics vaporub under the nose. Police, crime scene techs, and coroners use it.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

That sucks big
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #6

You could dip the trailer in a vat of bleach. Sorry, I got nothing helpful...
Old 09-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #7

So sorry!

I used Clorox wipes when I forgot to leave the frig doors open. Got the mold off with the wipes that I could throw in the trash. Then washed with vinegar. Vinegar removed the smell quite well. Learned my lesson! Yuck!

Best of luck to you on Thursday.

PS: Remember the disposable gloves. I went through several sets of gloves.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
LOL! I had a detective that worked for me who rubbed Vaseline under his nose. Did no good - all he got was a greasy nose. Vapo Rub !!
Take if from an old homicide detective. Take a pie pan or some metal pan and put coffee grounds in it. Let it begin to toast/burn on stove eye on low heat. It will kill the odor of long dead bodies in close spaces. Been there done that. It will kill your frog odors I'm sure.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #9

Thank you guys for the tips. Yeah vinegar I hadn't thought of, I will definitely bring some. And yes, plenty of gloves and coffee grounds and vaporub lol
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had bought an old RV and the guy had put tons of moth balls underneath it, plus it just had a bad bathroom smell. So my sister told me to get Biocide systems "room Shocker" quick release (I think I got it from Amazon). it is a maximum strength odor eliminator. you add a little water to it, and then let it sit in your trailer for a couple of days and it really did help.
JudieandRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, I just put an old tupperware type container on the counter, with a sponge and poured vinegar over it. cut a couple holes in the top of the container so it wouldn't spill and let that absorb the odors.
JudieandRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a flooded car once that really stank big time. I placed a container of charcoal briquets under the driver's seat and that really helped. Totally eliminated the odor fairly quickly.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #13

Coffee grounds and crumpled up newspaper in frig.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #14

When Peg comes out of the bathroom
I light a match
Surprised the house didn't blow up
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote