Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #1

I bet there's garbage coming off the assembly lines.

I'm betting new rvs are just filled with problems given all the parts shortages causing retrofits, substitutions and compromised assembly processes.
In addition there's the labor shortages with inexperienced and untrained assembly workers.
On top of this the manufacturers are pushing increased production rates to meet the unprecedented demand.

Sure some rvs will be made correctly but I'm betting a warranty nightmare is looming.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

I don't know about others. Mine was made in February, and has a substituted AC unit (GE - Haier really, as they own GE appliances now, and import the RV AC units from China - instead of Dometic). It's only had one small issue, which was fixed when I took delivery: the furnace rattled. Everything else has been fine.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #3

Mine was a cheap model built in 2018. Arctic wolf 311ml which I paid about 33k in 2018. For a cheap 5th wheel it’s held up wonderfully and I live in it full time!! The only issue was wired connections and cheap solder. But structure and slides still work great! I do maintenance every two weeks and full check every time I land at a new location just in case a bumpy road didn’t mess anything up.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got my Bay Star from Newmar with CPU. My tech and I found only 5 small items, easily fixed. I'm impressed with the quality and service. The "pandemic" slowed things down, not sure how or if quality was effected.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #5

Back in December, the wife and I were all set to put a deposit on a brand new Georgetown GT5 31L5 class A gas coach that still hasn’t been built yet. We were then notified that the chassis would be downgraded to a 20500lb chassis with 19.5" wheels instead of the normal 22000lb chassis and 22.5" wheels. We were told "The factory is having a hard time getting the 22000lb F53 chassis from Ford at this time". We were also told that it "wasn't a big deal". Yea right.
I wanted 22.5" aluminum wheels and my wife loved that particular floorplan so we started looking used. We then discovered that the Fleetwood Bounder 33C has a very similar floorplan. We found a Bounder 33C near us and fell in love with it only to have the salesman tell us that someone else beat us to it with their deposit. We placed a "backup deposit" on it anyway and went home sad.
Long story longer... The other deal fell through and we ended up buying our 2017 Bounder 33C for $98K. It's like brand new and even smells new inside.
I didn't get the new V8 engine but I did get the proper chassis and wheels and who knows what else.
Makes me glad that we ended up purchasing a late model used class A instead of brand new. We paid way less and probably got a better coach.
We are still waiting for the original dealer to get back to us with the VIN of the ordered coach so he can collect our deposit... haven't heard from him since mid January. I'm sure he can sell it to someone else when it eventually comes in.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #6

We found a new unit that was coming into a dealer about 3 hours away. Made a deposit on the phone. When the unit arrived we went to look it over. I found so many changes and issues with the unit that we walked away . But things have away of working out we had looked at new model from a local dealer and was able to make a deal on that one. Now we are waiting for Ford to come up with their remedy to the recall for low oil in the rear axle . We can not legally take delivery until the recall is closed.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
In addition there's the labor shortages with inexperienced and untrained assembly workers..
We have been up to the Goshen-Elkhart area twice since last June. They still have a good level of available workers. The manufacturers in that area use the Amish and Mennonite as line workers, and have been for numerous years. During one factory tour the plant manager told us "at lunch time some of these workers go home then another member of their family comes in to take over." So the guy installing cabinets at 6 am, there is a chance he is not the same guy at 2 pm, because he went home.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm betting new rvs are just filled with problems given all the parts shortages causing retrofits, substitutions and compromised assembly processes.
In addition there's the labor shortages with inexperienced and untrained assembly workers.
On top of this the manufacturers are pushing increased production rates to meet the unprecedented demand.

Sure some rvs will be made correctly but I'm betting a warranty nightmare is looming.
So nothing's changed then.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #9

Don't know about the quality, but I have driven a 25 mile stretch on I80 in eastern Nebraska every morning this last week and there has not been a day when I have not counted at least 3 new travel trailers or fifth wheels being pulled west by transport guys, one day saw 6. so the factories must be pumping them out
Old 04-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #10

Factories are busy, but also have their own quality control.

They maintain quality because it reduces their later warranty costs.

Hi quality has never been a reputation for the lower priced rigs.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #11

I think "garbage" may be a little strongly worded.

I imagine they have a few more issues because they are slammed with work but they do have to warranty the rigs. Also, they do have a reputation in the industry to uphold.

In the end I wouldn't buy one sight unseen but if I had a chance to go over it I would be fine with purchasing a new unit. And that's how I would always feel.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #12

Dewinterized my new RV yesterday and thoroughly tested out the water system. The hot water heater didn't work. Opened the door, and hovering over the control board was a bundle of wires that ended in a connector hanging loose. On the control board was the obvious mate for it. Clearly someone got in a hurry there. Plugged it in and problem solved. No other problems found. I think this is the first RV I've ever had that had no loose plumbing fittings.

FWIW, I ordered my unit in October so that I could get what I really wanted (chassis and options), so bought it sight unseen, and took delivery in Feb (President's Day so I wouldn't have to take vacation) as a winter storm was heading in, so rushed the PDI (had them fix a rattle in the furnace, but left the plumbing totally untested) to get out before the storm, with the confidence that I could most likely fix anything discovered later myself.

So far, I'm very satisfied with the quality and value, and don't think that this specific example was rushed any more than usual. If anything, maybe they're actually coming out better with staff having the opportunity to get more experience with given models ... beats me. I just know I'm a happy camper.

BTW, as I type this I'm sitting in my RV behind the Bigfoot factory. I'm having levelers put on tomorrow morning. On 80/90 coming in, there were A LOT of RVs, mostly travel trailers, but also some As and Cs, heading out from the region - on the order of every 5th or 6th vehicle on the road. I passed the Grand Design factory after getting off, and there's a large construction area right next to it.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Our new 2021 Rockwood Signature is built well. The fit and trim are very well done. Better than our Grand Design was. All the components work just fine so far. No leaks anywhere yet. So no I don't think there are a lot of issues with the newer units. There has always been good and bad and I don't think it is any different now. Slower longer lead times yes, but no better and no worse. We picked ours up February 4th. It was finished being built January 16th and the dealer had it ready for us a week later. We just couldn't get there to pick up sooner. Now I don't know about other makes , but most the folks I know or have chatted with about there Rockwoods 5th wheel Signatures are all very happy with them. Most of these manufactures have at least a line or two that seem to always be well made. I think the Rockwood 5th wheels and Flagstaff 5th wheels have a happy following from what I can tell and have had for a few years now. New current builds also. The RV world may have issues like a lot of industries right now , but there are some good ones still being built.
And that's my 0.02 cents worth.
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #14

Quote:

I can't argue with you. Mine came in with a bunch of "minor" problems. Fit and finish suck, tape falling off walls, rear tail lights bad from that vendor dealer had to replace, apparently a line repair at the factory and they ripped a big hole in the under layment (three season layer) the dealer had to fix. All the main systems are working fine like the slide, electric, furnace, airco, "fireplace" heater etc. I haven't pressurized the water system yet as winter won't leave up here in MT, but this week looks like I will be able to. I just noticed a bit of the anti-freeze under the sink drain...

AND, from what I hear, this is pretty normal in the lower priced lines that make up about 80% plus of the market. I got an extended warranty... BUT, I essentially made money on my three year old trade in... Strange... Sellers market for sure as one guy here said.
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote