Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

I can’t fill my RV up with gas! Please help

For some reason when I try to put gas in my RV the diesel fuel bubbles up and the pump has stopped no matter how shallow or how deep I insert the nozzle in or what position I put it in I can barely put any gas in the gas tank until it shuts off. does anyone know why this is happening? I’m very frustrated and I can’t leave this gas station and it’s going to take hours to fill up his gas tank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire7 View Post
For some reason when I try to put gas in my RV the diesel fuel bubbles up and the pump has stopped no matter how shallow or how deep I insert the nozzle in or what position I put it in I can barely put any gas in the gas tank until it shuts off. does anyone know why this is happening? I’m very frustrated and I can’t leave this gas station and it’s going to take hours to fill up his gas tank
You are saying that you're filling up with gas but the diesel fuel bubbles up. Are you putting the correct fuel in your tank?
Ask the gas station owner, could be a safety installed on the pumps there.
BruceNeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Point of confusion.... I try to put gas in my RV the diesel fuel bubbles up. Are you pumping gas or diesel?

I took a look at the available info and gas is standard and a FRED is an option, so which do you have?
Many times the fuel fill hose from the nozzle to the tank will have a twist, turn, dimple, or other obstruction that does not allow for the high speed flow of fuel and if you are getting fuel from "big truck" pumps, they are often "hi speed" pumps and that makes it worse. My best suggestion for this issue is try to get a visual on the filler hose to the tank and see if you can find a kink.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #4

I’m putting diesel in it I didn’t mean to say the word gas. It’s nothing with the pump because I’ve tried two different pumps I’ve tried the pump for truckers and I’ve tried a regular gas pump. I disconnected the vent line and that didn’t work either but I just connected it at the top and not at the tank so I don’t think I can Get to it at the tank it just disappears are really tight space. There might be a blockage that’s what we’re trying to figure
Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Diesel fuel foams, you just need to fill slower and monitor the tank.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Foaming is a problem with diesel fuel and RV fillers are poorly designed for high speed pumps. Typically they are almost level rather than downward and poorly vented as well. Basically you have to pump very slow. If you are using truck stops, try the car diesel pumps instead of the big truck ones. They pump slower (lower volume).

Another trick (if you have a filler on each side of the coach) is to open the other filler to provide better venting. Have someone keep an eye on it, though, cause it can overflow before you realize it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

Could try a goose neck funnel, shoved down the fill tube.
Then slow and steady fueling.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #8

I couldn’t possibly fill it any slower. It would take at least an hour to fill it and I’m not exaggerating. A trucker and a gas station attendant both helped me and they couldn’t figure it out. Also, yesterday when I filled it up it didn’t do this. It filled up normally just like the several times before. Something is up. Only has 1 filler spot. Had to take it to a repair shop and someone’s under it now. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire7 View Post
I couldn’t possibly fill it any slower. It would take at least an hour to fill it and I’m not exaggerating. A trucker and a gas station attendant both helped me and they couldn’t figure it out. Also, yesterday when I filled it up it didn’t do this. It filled up normally just like the several times before. Something is up. Only has 1 filler spot. Had to take it to a repair shop and someone’s under it now. Thanks everyone.
It was fine yesterday? Where did you park overnight and do you have a locking fuel cap?

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #10

Maybe its full and the gauge is broke ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most likely a low spot in your vent line has got some fuel in it and is not letting the air escape.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #12

Keymastr you are close. The filler tube/pipe must have moved or shifted during the horrendous pot hole filled roads I was driving on and I think he said it was not draining properly into the tank and was backing up and draining very slowly. He zip tied it and it worked. I had got underneath it earlier and pulled off the venting line in case it was blocked. It wasn’t. It’s really disgusting under the RV. I still have crap in my hair.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #13

I no what you are talking about my truck had the same problem and it was in the vent line.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #14

We too have long almost horizontal hoses going from filler to tank. We are blessed in having a fill on both sides of the coach, and if given the chance, we will always pick the pump with ground sloping away from the pump so as to give the filler a slightly greater "grade" to the tank. Is it possible that this particular filling station had ground sloping down TOWARD the pump? Thus exaggerating your problem?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas