Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #15

People just do weird things. My ex inlaws used gorilla tape one time to make sure no rain would get into the heater vent on a cool rainy night. When the heater kicked on and tried to light it blew the heater apart. His fix was to just hammer the vent tube back in and that killed it the rest of they way. It was hilarious.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #16

Maybe they have a seal that is leaking when the slide is out so they are bringing the slide in should it rain while they are gone.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Right.

Build a friendly rapport first with waves and hellos.

Maybe talk about a problem your having yourself, then phrase the question about the slide-out in a "I'm still learning myself" kinda way.

Yep. Maybe "I noticed you put your slide in when you leave. We have been leaving ours out. I was curious so thought I would ask. . . "
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #18

Let them alone. It's their rig to do with as they please. They aren't questioning why you leave yours out all the time.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
Yep. Maybe "I noticed you put your slide in when you leave. We have been leaving ours out. I was curious so thought I would ask. . . "

Good advice. Pose the question as though you’re trying to learn from them. That maybe you’ve been doing it wrong all along, and we’re wondering why?

Of course you may get an answer like . . .

“Hey! I work for a company called Mind My Own Business. They’re hiring. Want me to pick you up an application?”
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherberv View Post
Maybe they are confused by the terms "awning" and "slide awning" thinking they should bring the slide "awning" in in case wind gets up while they are away?
Certainly possible they confused warnings to bring the awning in with bringing the slide in. I purposely walked near their site several times, but they were always inside so I never had the opportunity to speak with them.
Jkwilson1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #21

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
Folks staying a couple of sites down and across from us in a light, single-slide travel trailer. Not a hybrid. Noticed yesterday several times that the slide was sometimes in and sometimes out. This morning while savoring my coffee, I watched the lady head to the truck with her purse. Seconds later the slide started in. Once it was in, the guy headed for the truck. Wondered if they were ready to hook up and leave, but they drove away. Came back a few minutes ago with groceries and the slide came back out.

Bluebird skies without a chance of rain. It seems they are under the impression that the slide needs to be in when they are away for some reason. I’m torn between wanting to tell them they are wasting time and putting wear and tear on their slide mechanism for no reason, and butting out. I always lean toward butting out.

But I’ll cringe a little every time I see them open and close the slide while we are neighbors.
IMO, the curiosity would kill me. Some others said it would be rude and to butt out however, if you introduce yourself and ask out of curiosity, you may help them out or, you may learn something. If it were me, either side, I wouldn't be offended.

Just sayin...
Maxxcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxcamping View Post
IMO, the curiosity would kill me. Some others said it would be rude and to butt out however, if you introduce yourself and ask out of curiosity, you may help them out or, you may learn something. If it were me, either side, I wouldn't be offended.

Just sayin...
You might not be offended but there's a decent chance others will be. Some would get irritated no matter how you approached the subject.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #23

Personally, I welcome friendly advice. We camped for 20 years not knowing you should turn off the breaker at the post before plugging in. I never turned it off before leaving the campsite either. Of course, it wasn’t obvious to any neighbor so no advice was offered, but had they seen it and said something I’d be grateful. But, who knows how people might react these days.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxcamping View Post

Just sayin...

I feel the same. Asking a friendly question without the intent to criticize is pretty straight forward. Now, I'm really curious. I guess we will never know.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:54 AM   #25

Here's my take....
Mind your own business
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:11 AM   #26

Nothing wrong with asking. I like the idea of approaching them like you're attempting to learn something.

If I was doing something incorrectly I'd be happy to have someone educate me. Heck, my wife does it all the time
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:14 AM   #27

I know that we never leave our awning out when we leave no matter how long we plan to be gone or what the weather prediction is. Just seen too many get destroyed and ours cost $2k. We leave our slides out, but our motorhome is heavy enough not to get blown away.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
You might not be offended but there's a decent chance others will be. Some would get irritated no matter how you approached the subject.
There is a decent chance some would get offended if you told them their wooden leg was on fire! . Some get offended by the phrase "good morning" (what's so good about it? mind your own business! leave me alone!) So if we never spoke to anybody for fear of offending them, we never would make new friends. So I personally don't see anything wrong with asking. Of course not in a "I know more than you and you should do it my way" attitude but in a "I'm curious and I might just learn something" kind of attitude. He may even have a NOW amusing anecdote to share as to why he brings in slide.