Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

I enjoy flashing truckers. You?

You enjoy flashing truckers?

I do! Lol.

Seriously, do you flash them?

I think they appreciate it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7 Jim View Post

I do! Lol.

I assume you mean flash them with your lights, not your open trenchcoat!

Seriously, yes I do. I drove a truck while in college and appreciated the courtesy. I do the same when in my car as well. What I have found, however, is that I get fewer responses from the truck driver, once he has pulled in, than I used to. Many, I think, aren’t even looking closely to see if they’ve cleared and just move over. It is nice to see a tail light flash of “Thanks” from the truck.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7 Jim View Post

I do! Lol.

I do, and I appreciate the ones that do it for me!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I assume you mean flash them with your lights, not your open trenchcoat!

Seriously, yes I do. I drove a truck while in college and appreciated the courtesy. I do the same when in my car as well. What I have found, however, is that I get fewer responses from the truck driver, once he has pulled in, than I used to. Many, I think, aren’t even looking closely to see if they’ve cleared and just move over. It is nice to see a tail light flash of “Thanks” from the truck.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #5

Yes, I will flash my lights when a truck or RV pass me. Most drivers know how to drive and really don't need my help, but it does sends a message that another driver is watching out for them.
The time it does help is when there is an approaching vehicle behind the passing truck and the truck driver is trying to get over as soon as possible.
It' nice to get a tail light flash response, but it's like holding open a door for someone, no response is really expected.
We need more friendly gestures in this world and less meanness!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I do, and I appreciate the ones that do it for me!
I flash you, you flash me!

Thats the way it ought to be!
Old 05-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #7

I did multiple times on an interstate trip and got no "thanks" flash back of the tail lights. I will continue to do so to help them and protect me.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #8

During daylight, yes; night-time NO flashing headlamps, then it is a brief off/on of low beam headlights while leaving parking lights on. Flashing brights into a drivers rear mirrors ruins their night vision for several minutes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
During daylight, yes; night-time NO flashing headlamps, then it is a brief off/on of low beam headlights while leaving parking lights on. Flashing brights into a drivers rear mirrors ruins their night vision for several minutes.
I was wondering about that too.

Does briefly turning your lights completely off, then back on also work?
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #10

I flash when conditions such as fog or heavy rain are present. I also flash when a trucker with a car on his tail passes me. I figure there's a decent chance he's ready to get back to the right and out of the tailgator's line of fire as soon as he can. I don't really see a need most other times and I doubt most professional truck drivers see it either.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #11

It doesn't work for me. They all drive back into my lane way too soon. I immediately change lanes to avoid their wake turbulence. Yes, I make sure the coast is clear before I change lanes.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's my procedure too, lights off briefly at night.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My last MH had a momentary switch on the dash to to flash the lights. It was easy to do and usually appreciated.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #14

I do a lot of driving (both towing and not towing) in southern Calif -- and when there is a trucker who signals that he wants to move over, I give them a quick flash to let them know "I see you and it is ok to make a move ahead of me."

They are always amazed that someone on the hyper-competitive LA Freeway system will give them a break -- they move over and then almost always give me a "thanks" by turning their lights on and off, which causes their tail lights to go on and off.

In extending this courtesy, I lose about five seconds of travel time. It costs me nothing, and it helps keep the traffic flowing. So why not??

This is particularly effective in bumper to bumper traffic, when it is so hard for truckers to make a move, since there are no openings.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote