Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #1

I expected cold weather but this was a surprise...

Got to my campsite late friday last week, set up and went straight to bed. Last I had checked the weather was to be lows of 20s and highs of 50s but clear and sunny otherwise. Wake up saturday morning, open the blind and this is what I see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3333591717.png
Views:	192
Size:	970.1 KB
ID:	16005
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

It actually snowed all day saturday, which at first was a bummer but then we made the best of it. Here are some more pics of our snow camping.

Name:	image-1142965430.png
Views:	191
Size:	619.3 KB
ID:	16006

Name:	image-1324467915.png
Views:	171
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	16007

Name:	image-45408974.png
Views:	186
Size:	560.9 KB
ID:	16008
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #3

Not bad, not bad at all.

Some have questioned my sanity at moving away from Mesa, Arizona back to my homeland here in Okie land.

I'm looking forward to seeing something white out there for a change. 20 years of 110-115 degree day time temps is enough. Got my time in with the fire department in Phoenix and checked out.

Just hope it don't get bad enough here for me to need a snowblower.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that it is SO COOL!! I WANT to camp while it's snowing!! Yes, I know that I am a rarity- with this group- but that's okay

Looks like you guys had fun!

Where were you camping?

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We will probably get out again over the Christmas school break. Wanted to go this weekend but grandson is has school Friday. Next weekend is his birthday and the next one is my wife's bd.

I emailed the campground and they don't have any snow yet. A light dusting (2" or so) would be nice!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #6

Snow? That's not snow.

This is snow:

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

We were camped in the Yosemite Valley between Christmas and New Years some time ago and woke to a foot or more of snow.....it was awesome We did not move our tow car for five days and finally ended up having to buy snow chains to get out. Awesome trip and one the kids remember to this day. I think it even snowed another day.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Snow? That's not snow.

This is snow:

Yes it is. Looks like the winters we had when we lived in the Watertown, NY area. Brrr! I really only miss it occasionally. Would love to be camping with the grandkids one time in snow.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
I think that it is SO COOL!! I WANT to camp while it's snowing!! Yes, I know that I am a rarity- with this group- but that's okay

Looks like you guys had fun!

Where were you camping?

Sheila

We were at the King's Canyon National Park in the Azalea Campground. Our planned trip had been to the Sequoia National Park (next door) but after hauling the trailer up the mountain for an hour the road was closed to go to our intended campground. It was late at night and the prospect of having to go down the mountain and back up another way (adding about two to three more hours to the trip) was just flat out depressing. Went forward just looking for a place to turn around and found the King's Canyon Welcome Center, there we were told there was an open campground 1/4 mile down the road. SOLD! We stayed there and had a blast. Couldn't get to the General Sherman Tree or the Giant Sequoia Grove because of the road closure and snow/ice, but the General Grant Tree and a giant stump field was right next to our campground. Made the best of it overall and had a great time.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same thing happen to us a number of years ago. We went to Red Lodge, MT to check out land over Memorial Day weekend. We were having at late lunch at a resturant in town when it started snowing. We made it back to the national forest campground on Rock Creek. In the morning we had about 2' of the white stuff. A family pulled in with a trailer. The 4-wheel drive TV had chains on all 4 wheels.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Yes it is. Looks like the winters we had when we lived in the Watertown, NY area. Brrr! I really only miss it occasionally. Would love to be camping with the grandkids one time in snow.
Come on down bring the grandkids, 6 inches in the last 3 hours and still coming down.

April in the Gila National Forest.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What a LOVELY photo.. I've woken to scenes like that many time.

Which is why I'm typing this from southern Georgia!!!!!

Biggest weather surprise I've ever had: Weather man said 19 degrees for the expected low.. (in Wyoming around 12/1/2006) Woke up the dash said -6
Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Bluck, that is a beautiful pic. Too bad we weren't just a little closer. We have had 10-12" of snow in Central NC in the past. I'm good with a day or two, then I want it all gone and back to at least 60 degrees. I think too many years of -30 degrees and wind chill lower than that and feet of snow in Upstate NY has changed my outlook on winter. Florida here we come.....
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #14

Those late spring snows hit us about every other year. The picture above was on the 14th. of April, at the start of our spring turkey hunt. Much of the time the temps. In April are colder than Dec. Being at 7500 ft. dosen't help either. Nice to put a pot of coffee on, cook some pancakes and bacon and just sit and look out the window. If it had been on the 15th. the day the season starts we would have been gone from camp 3 hours snow or not.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote