Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post

If you care to reiterate and explain why I cannot remove it from the frame and wheels, and attach it to the gen bay frame in such a way that it could slide out or rotate lazy susan style, feel free. My intent is not to piss off neighbors, etc. My intent is to have something to recharge my future battery bank as needed and as soon as I find out how many batteries it will take to run the items I have that will need constant or occasional power.

Because it is too friggin LOUD, that is why.

If you haven’t figured that out yet, we’ll...

You are about to take on a TON of work, which might be unsafe... but will certainly be too loud.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #30

Well.....we COULD look at this another way. Onan generators are not inherently quiet. There's a reason they sell that long extension exhaust. With a cheap 6 inch tube "muffler" they would be just as noisy as the Generac.
]
So...IMHO it could be done. It would require a significant amount of work to get the generator mounted. Ventilation, insulation, and proper exhaust would all need to be addressed but I think it could be made to work and work well. It just requires thought, effort and money. And in the end you may not be any money ahead over a madeforRV genny. Your money...your RV. if you were closer I might be tempted to give you a hand just for the helluvit. Forced air ventilation, fire proofing the compartment, and a proper RV exhaust ....hmmmm.
richamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #31

Quote:
I'm a redhead, that was nowhere near an attack, LOL!!

I don't know about you, but on a female, red is not a hair color, it is a warning sign.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #32

Quote:
And once again.....You and LACK OF this: Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
As I told another member here, it is so wonderful to know that you are so (expletive here) perfect and have all your sh*t together and need nothing from anyone.
I think most responded with a little practical experience in mind. Some probably could have responded with the same information in a little more polite fashion. The bottom line seems to be that installing a contractor generator in the bay of a motorhome can probably be done and just as probably should not be done. But it's your money, time and project.

It can be properly muffled, cooled and fueled. All of that comes at a dollar figure. In all likely hood that dollar figure will far exceed the amount it would have taken to simply purchase a proper generator designed for your purpose. If you don't care about the cost and you have the time and the skills you likely don't really need a lot of input from posters on this board.

If you have a specific question I'm sure folks would be glad to help if they can. Your initial question was pretty broad and resulted in a pretty broad range of responses.

There's another thread on here where a member is talking about replacing a gas engine with a diesel engine. Can it be done, sure. Is it a reasonable project based on cost, probably not. He got about the same responses as you did. Tons of reasons to not do it. However the last I saw, he was going to do it anyway because he just likes to do things like that. His time, his money and his project.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #33

We'lllllll, Home Depot has them brand new still in the box for $689.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #34

Quote:
I might add that I can tell whatever was there originally was obviously not the best thing judging by the burned looking appearance to the back wall in there.

I've been thru two home fires, trust me, I have no desire to go another round.
I have looked til my eyes are blurry at generators new sites and otherwise. Craigslist pulls up freaking regular ones and motorhomes for sale by idiots that don't post items where they belong but not real RV genny's. Not here in OKC at least.
I have one resort left if I am told I cannot get enough batteries going to not need a gen at all and that is a huge salvage type place where a person can pay a fee and attend auctions for the vehicles. They have hundreds of TT's at the very least and maybe I can find a "real" RV gen that way but I am still stuck for not knowing what to do with it when I get it home just like any of them.
Mainly, if it is in a bay, WTH is IT plugged into so that my outlets INSIDE work for one??? LOL.....that does not make me an idiot or a blonde, etc. I'm just NOT electrically inclined. Mechanically somewhat but def not electrically (no the house fires were not because of that, LOL).
What you propose can be accomplished with enough money and ingenuity. The main problem is keeping the generator supplied with adequate air for cooling, which may be accomplished by using an old electric radiator cooling fan wired to turn on and exhaust hot air when the generator is started.
If you want to search for an RV generator open these links:
RV Parts Online Resources
RV Salvage & Surplus Yards - used RV Parts
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #35

Hopefully you plan to camp a quarter mile or so from your nearest neighbor. 3,600 rpm makes for a lot of noise.

Start it at night when background noise is relatively low. Imagine you neighbors trying to have a relaxing cocktail hour.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I don't know about you, but on a female, red is not a hair color, it is a warning sign.

Apparently not in my case, it is a habit forming addiction
My former husband took on another (even redder) when I didn't work out, LOLOLOL
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I think most responded with a little practical experience in mind. Some probably could have responded with the same information in a little more polite fashion. The bottom line seems to be that installing a contractor generator in the bay of a motorhome can probably be done and just as probably should not be done. But it's your money, time and project.

It can be properly muffled, cooled and fueled. All of that comes at a dollar figure. In all likely hood that dollar figure will far exceed the amount it would have taken to simply purchase a proper generator designed for your purpose. If you don't care about the cost and you have the time and the skills you likely don't really need a lot of input from posters on this board.

If you have a specific question I'm sure folks would be glad to help if they can. Your initial question was pretty broad and resulted in a pretty broad range of responses.

There's another thread on here where a member is talking about replacing a gas engine with a diesel engine. Can it be done, sure. Is it a reasonable project based on cost, probably not. He got about the same responses as you did. Tons of reasons to not do it. However the last I saw, he was going to do it anyway because he just likes to do things like that. His time, his money and his project.
He was probably a redhead

It's funny that everyone brings up noise so much and then there are tons of posts and RV reviews complaining about noise of all kinds that management did nothing about. Seems the better "revenge" or quick "hey you're being way too loud would be a quick roar of a genny for about 5 minutes dontcha think?
I'm KIDDING!
There are PLENTY of places one could pull off to run it long enough to juice stuff back up and or WHILE driving down the road (added aid to cooling it off as well).
Time will tell.
And I do appreciate ALL replies, negative or not. I am partially in this for the learning experience of it all considering I highly doubt anyone anywhere has had a perfect RV buyin, house selling off, hitting the road experience.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #38

American Coach Owners Club
Since you already have this Generator and an empty compartment and You've heard all the negatives ! I would easily suggest you build a slide for your compartment- You can fuel it - service it= and hide it when you get complaints !.
Just thinking out loud !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure why you would need to pull off the side of the road and use a generator to charge up batteries when, as has already been pointed out, they already charge from your alternator while driving
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #40

My previous coach had generator problems. It was an onan 5500. I bought a used 6500 on kijiji which is like craigslist for 900 canadian dollars. Thats about 20 bucks US. Just kidding lol. The advantage of the proper genny is you get an electric start, which can be started from inside the coach. The fuel comes out of the main tank, so you dont have to mess around carrying jerry cans of fuel. You dont have to refill it. It is designed for the task. The wires that come out of the generator generally would go to your automatic transfer switch, unless your coach doesnt have one. In that case, you would probably have a manual transfer, where you have to unplug the shore power cord, and plug in the generator. Take special note of the advice not to put 220 volts 30 amp to your wiring. Your camper is only 110 volts, 30 amp, and you will fry all your electrical if you do. Good luck on your project.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #41

Take time to attend a drag race at a major track.....walk thru the pits and look at what's being used and how the heat, exhaust and heat proofing has been done.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #42

I've used a jobsite generator years and years ago, it's no big deal to build a sound insulated box with a cooling fan and an exhaust that points way up into the trees.
Having said that, it is actually not safe at all to have a propane or gasoline powered generator in the same enclosed environment with the fuel source and therefor I strongly recommend against putting it into the storage bay. You should at least plan for an external fuel tank and not use the onboard tank.
Another issue is the quality of the power itself, a jobsite generator produces raw modified sinewave electricity designed to power lights, air compressors, and other power tools and not the clean sinewave electricity that you would get from the power grid or an inverter type generator. Your computer, cellphone and other electronics, even your microwave will not appreciate this form of electricity from a jobsite generator long term.
If you still want to go ahead with the project invest in an inverter powerpack that charges/powers your electronics, but this all adds to the cost and you probably would have been better off buying an inverter type generator to begin with.

Tags
generac, generator