Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

I got stuck!

Maiden voyage this coming weekend ...all excited ..going to Mt Eaton RV Resort ..yess.. the one where the rally is going to be ...cleaned up and de winterized "Sunny" (our current name for our rv)..decided to turn it around in the driveway so it was pointed out instead of in ...wife sleeping and I did'nt want to get her up to help direct me out onto the road so I decided to use the front lawn as part of my three part turn strategy...well I got parts one and two down but it was that part three that got me ....who knew the grass would be so soft and yielding!!!....

The most embarassing thing was answering Coach Net when they asked "are you in a safe location?" I um ...um ... I'm in my front Yard! Just so I don't feel like a complete fool has anyone else gotten stuck in their own yard or other embarassing places?
lexusSC400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusSC400 View Post
Maiden voyage this coming weekend ...all excited ..going to Mt Eaton RV Resort ..yess.. the one where the rally is going to be ...cleaned up and de winterized "Sunny" (our current name for our rv)..decided to turn it around in the driveway so it was pointed out instead of in ...wife sleeping and I did'nt want to get her up to help direct me out onto the road so I decided to use the front lawn as part of my three part turn strategy...well I got parts one and two down but it was that part three that got me ....who knew the grass would be so soft and yielding!!!....

The most embarassing thing was answering Coach Net when they asked "are you in a safe location?" I um ...um ... I'm in my front Yard! Just so I don't feel like a complete fool has anyone else gotten stuck in their own yard or other embarassing places?

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #3

I got my 1972 Chevy 4x4 pick up truck stuck in my lower field and had to pull it out with my 1992 Nissan NX2000 (t-top sport coupe) once.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer: YES

Long answer: Sorry I'm not telling
Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Talking

Pray that's the worst that happens! Did that pulling in to a propane dealer, busy hiway did not want swing left to turn right soft shoulder sank up to the frame. The tow driver said I wasn't the first to get stuck there. Only things hurt were my pride and wallet.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Just so I don't feel like a complete fool has anyone else gotten stuck in their own yard or other embarassing places?
This one got a out of me just now when I read it...
I am sitting in Florence, OR right now and this is taken word for word out of an e-mail sent to my cousin in Fresno today::::

I buried this rig all the way up to the frame in sand here on the lot. Man what a pain trying to get it back onto solid ground. The tranny was sitting on the sand. I think thats what kept it from going deeper. Took me over 5 hours of solid work to get it out. No, I did not take pics!!! Thats one I do not want to remember...

I hand dug it out. Kind of went like, put down rear jacks, watch rear jacks sink in sand :>(, raise rear jacks, fill hole with asphalt base rock from another area (1 shovel full at a time) over and over and over and over and over until it got high enough to lift one rear tire out of sand enough to get 1 inch of rock under tires. Raise jacks, put 2.5" thick wood blocks under jack on one side. Watch 20,000 lbs push wood blocks into rock base, again and again, over and over etc. You know how tall those tires are? It was deeper than about 1/3 of the tires. Man, I thought I was a kid again up at the mining claim being punished for something Rick had done wrong. Lots of rock went under the tires before it got stable and high enough to think I could drive out... Then it was on to the other side...Laughing hard enough yet??? AND, I DID NOT HAVE ANY BEER HERE TO SOOTH MY TORN UP EGO..... You can bet I went and got some though when I finally got it out.
Wasn't going to say anything, but it must have been the weekend for this kind of thing.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #7

I got stuck in soft mud in a campground .I figured I had built in jacks so I would just lift the stuck tire out of the mud. Everything was going good till I wracked the frame and cracked the windshield.Then a call to the towtruck which was covered by road service.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I got our Winnebago View stuck in the sand, just inches away from the lapping waves of the Gulf of Mexico, on Boca Chica Beach on the very south end of Texas.

The Rio Grande River was a few hundred yards further down the beach, the beach has NO services, NOTHING, and I couldn't even get cell phone coverage to call Coach-Net. Other than a few Mexicans fishing on the south side of the Rio Grande, there were very few people around . . . well, except for my lovely wife, who by that time had chosen NOT to SPEAK to me. I do remember, however, the last thing she said to me . . . something about the beach not looking like a good place to drive on with the motor home.

While attempting to look as though I had everything under control by throwing some leveling blocks under the rear duallys, from which they quickly disappeared, along come a nice couple in a brand new Toyota FJ, a 4x4, with a nice new yellow tow strap. The fellow rolls down his driver's window and hollers, "You stuck?" My wife at that very moment, seemed to have something stuck in her throat and made a very unusual noise.

Anyway, the nice folks in their FJ were able to pull us onto firmer ground and my wife and I have since laughed . . . together . . . about the incident.

Haven't really had the motor home on the beach since.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
sorry I don't want to join this club
bob
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

A few years ago I was in Newport Oregon and we decided to visit the wharf area. I parked the 36' M/H in a parking area and unhooked the toad. A kind person came out of the bldg and told me that I would get a ticket parked there and told me of a place to park down the street. So I pulled out of that place and attempted a U turn by pulling into this drive with a steep incline...in no time at all I could not pull forward or backward as I was hung up between the trailer hitch insert and asphalt. I had half the street blocked and was frantically throwing stuff out of the storage bay to find wooden blocks. A city worker stopped and directed traffic as I struggled to get free. After several failed attempts I lowered the rear jack raised the duals, placed wood under tire, raised the jack, placed wood under the jack, lowered the jack and then placed a piece of wood under the hitch insert as a skid plate, raised the jack and was just barely able to skid back enough to clear the asphalt. This took the better part of an hour and I was not in a good mood as we walked the wharf area.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #11

I hate to admit it, but it just recently happen to me. We had to stay at my mothers house in TN over the winter, helping her recovery from a broken pelvis and getting into an assisted living facility. I parked the rig in the side yard of the house. Had appt. at Camp Newmar on Tuesday 03/17, so decided to leave on Sat 03/14. On Fri 03/13 it came a rain that the weather station was not predicting. When I tried to get the rig out of the yard, the left rear tired started spinning in the mud. I was stuck. Long story short, I jacked up the rear, hauled 3 wheel barrows of rocks that was around the bushes. Put some under the wheel that the motor is turning and built a path along the yard with the rest of the rock. It shot right out. Of course when I returned home, I had a bunch of rocks in the yard that had to be gotten up before it was mowed. What a mess. Leaving for Alaska on May 1st and I will definitely make sure this does not happen again.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last year I owned a 5th wheel, weighing in at about 14,000 pounds. Parked on the side of my brothers driveway, after putting down some 2x12 wood to roll the wheels onto. I didn't get stuck, but I could not get under my hitch and the front jacks were all the way extended. With a shovel I was able to dig under the front jacks and release the pin, pulled them up, placed a few boards underneath and re-jacked, but it would not go up.

All of a sudden I called myself some really bad names. I had forgotten to raise the rear stabilizers. Do you know that the front end of a 5er does not like to be raised with the rear stabilizers down??? Who would-a-thought.

My brother indicated I could park the MH in the same place this year, and I said that the empty weight is about 27,000 punds. He said we could put it in the driveway. Whew! I think I'll find a CG and park it there.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
It just happened to me last week. I puled my truck up near the front door of our house to unload a new granite counter top for our bathroom remodeling project. I left the truck in the front yard thinking I would move it the next day. Well it rained a lot that day so it sat there a couple of days. When I went to move it, it only went about 5 feet then the front wheels sank down in the soft wet ground and the rear wheels lost traction and that was it. It would not move either way. On Saturday I needed the truck so I tried again and it would not move. It was so low that I could not get a jack under it so I had to swallow my pride and call the AAA tow truck. AAA asked me if I was in a safe place also. I just had to laugh and say, yes I am in my front yard.

Bill
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
It happen to me twice once was not good enough. The first time is was backing our TT into the back lot drive way. I had extended the width of the drive about ten feet and the rear wheels of the truck got on the soft stuff. I had to get a neighbor to pull me out. Another time I was unloading a lawn mower and got stuck. Another neighbor pull me out this time. I now got a 4X4 and no more problems. The last truck I had it did not take much to stick it. It had a lock rear end but both wheels would just spin. I was stuck four times with it.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote