Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #15

When I pulled the trailer home the first time my wife guided me into the house. She was looking at the drive way. I took the gutter off the house. Brand new. A few weeks ago she was watching one side of the trailer while the other side was hitting a trailer in our storage yard.

My 12 year olds guide me now. They do a better job. :-0

Truly we get on the cell phone. I can put it on speaker so we talk back and forth. She doesn't seem to get that "hands on your hips" is not a signal or helpful. :-)
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I backed under a limb in CG and cracked the fiberglass roof on the crown where side and top meet. Had awning repair tape with me and it worked great to patch the wound. Had 2 nights of rain an no leaks. Clear awning repair tape I got off Amazon. My insurance company paid for repair. I had $100.00 deductible out of pocket expense. Repair cost was $1875.00. The pain will eventually get better and no one will have to tell you to watch out for that happening again. Good luck and get-er-done.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
I have used this stuff for temp repairs. It lasts pretty long and is white.

Instant Waterproof Repair and Re-Roofing Material-QR625 at The Home Depot

Bummer about your bump, ours was a bit sad as well. It happens to the best of us, I guess that's why we buy insurance. This one cost around $16,500.00 and one fingernail. Thank god for deductable.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3270.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	22770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3584.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	22771  

Old 06-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Right now, as I type this, I am feeling sick to my stomach. My new to me Navion, not even a week old, was damaged in the upper rear right corner while I was backing under my pole barn. When I got out to check the thud that I heard, I saw a two inch gash/crack right on the corner of the roof. Does anyone have any idea what these types of repairs cost? I am afraid to hazzard a guess. One thousand? Three thousand? As it is right now, I am going to put some silicone in the crack to prevent any moisture from getting in. I won't sleep well tonight!
I feel your pain, too. While following cg employee today told wife I should back up and go around that truck to get a straight shot at the gate we had to go through. Should have gone with my instincts: watching passenger side as to clear the gate post; tail swing on my side caught a pickup (just barely) but almost tore my end cap off. DUH. :bang head: Not quite as bad as the above picture but bad enough.
We are at a Texas Boomer rally and just about every one here had their own story of woe to tell me.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #19

Being that it's fiberglass, you could get a little fiberglass repair kit at an aotomotive store and fix it yourself. They come with two parts to mix together for resin and a small piece of fiberglass cloth.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #20

I can testify a basketball hoop fits right through the rear window of class C the night before you leave. On the plus side, a shop vac makes quick work of safety glass and a big piece of Lowe's plexiglass / duct tape and it's "game on" at 6:00am. With age I've learned to laugh.
wsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for commiserating with me. This too shall pass! I keep telling myself it isn't the end of the world, and as others have said "It will make a good campfire story!"
I'll just need some healing time before I can tell that story!!
At a time like this I usually say "At least no lives were lost".

Somehow doesn't make it seem as bad.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought our unit in Tucson last October. On the way home pulling into a Truck stop, we misjudged a cement pylon. I heard a slight scraping sound, and knew something was amiss. Got out, looked at it sure enough, 2 basement doors scraped up pretty good. Still looking at it today, thinking I will just remove the doors, and take them to a body shop.

Oh well...
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #23

I will add my story to the list. I was returning to the dealer for some minor warranty work and turned too short into the entrance to the dealership and dropped the right side off the culvert. This not only ripped the bumper off our new 5 th wheel but blocked the dealership entrance for 6 hours! There was another major wreck nearby and all the big rig wreckers were responding to that accident so all I could do was wait and wait and wait..........
Retracwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #24

Pond Piggies Club
Hum, let me see. I backed my pick-up truck into a tree while looking at the tree in the back-up camera. I backed the trailer into the garage, because I forgot the new trailer is 2 feet longer then the old trailer. We all have had little "opps". Live and learn.

Regards,
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
If you are not hitting something, you will. You just got it out of the way quickly. Don't be embarrassed to get out and look while maneuvering around. Have a spotter also. My wife and I do the spotter thing even when going into a spot we have done many times before. We used to use hand signals that got reinvented daily.
Lindsay, I did have a spotter! That's what ticked me off! And to make matters worse, this is the second time that a spotter has failed me! When I first bought my TT last month ( before I traded it in for my current MH ) I was trying to back it under the pole barn between the house and the shed. My neighbor, after seeing the difficulty that I was having trying to maneuver 44 feet between the two buildings, offered to help. I should add that he is a truck driver! Well, with him guiding me back there, and me being totally dependent on his good judgement, I slowly backed into the top corner of my shed! I couldn't believe it! I mean, c'mon! how hard is it to stand back there and say "Whoa! Stop!! Back up!! Cut it hard the other way" Whatever. He said to me that he "failed me".
Then, with this last mishap I had my son stand back there to guide me. I bought the MH because I knew that I could get it back there because it's not like I was using a truck to back a trailer up. Anyway, as he is telling me to slowly back up, I hit something up top! It was a corner cross piece support of the pole barn. I was stunned! I couldn't believe that it happened again. Ultimately, you are right. I should have not been so dependent on anyone but myself and got out of the vehicle and asses the situation. Live and learn.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last fall the wife and I came back from Cape Cod, a crack developed in the passenger side windshield. Notified the insurance company and they directed me to a glass shop that is in a location not friendly to Class A motorhomes.It was against my better judgement to take it there and since the owner would not come to my house to replace it I really had no choice at this point since the glass was ordered and shipped. I wanted this done at the RV dealer whom I do business with and trust but the insurance company said they wouldn't do it,,,,never believe them.
Anyway I spoke to another RV dealer who uses this guy for glass so they say and really like him so that made me feel a little better and I took my coach there.
Now this guys shop is located on a back country road in the middle of a double S turnon a back country road, the shop kind of sits down in a slight valley. The coach barely fit in his lot sitting nose into the bay where he wanted it. The lot had little to no room to turn the coach around in so when I came to pick it up I had to backup a slight grade out into the double S. I misjudged the distance to the other side of the road going up the grade and not seeing the othe side correctly over the crown of the road. Of course in a slight hurry to get out of backing into the double S turn. I misjudged and put my passenger leftside bottom endcap into the dirt bank. It smashed the crap out of my fiberglass at the bottom corner,needless to say I was ballisitic since I didn't want to go here in the first place! (Always go with your first instinct)
Needless to say the insurance company had to pay out about $1200.for the windshield they now had to pay out $3800. to repair my rear endcap.
Needless to say it was a real mess when I took it to my dealer but they did such a fantastic job in repairing it you'll never know it was hit!
As stated above, when driving these things "Always go with your first instinct" it was probably the the right choice to begin with!

Regards,
RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #27

Quote:
It is a fiberglass roof. I just might go with the Gorilla tape as has been suggested and just so it doesn't stand out agains the white fiberglass, I'll paint it white. it's in an out off the way, hard to notice location anyway.
This will work for a VERY TEMPORARY repair only. Remember all these units 'flex' from side to side and well as fore and aft. Doesn't take long before you're looking at a roof leak and an even higher repair bill.

And that repair bill will be a real 'eye-opener.'

Call your Insurance Agent and get on with 'gittin on.'
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
I have used this stuff for temp repairs. It lasts pretty long and is white.

Instant Waterproof Repair and Re-Roofing Material-QR625 at The Home Depot

Bummer about your bump, ours was a bit sad as well. It happens to the best of us, I guess that's why we buy insurance. This one cost around $16,500.00 and one fingernail. Thank god for deductable.

Dick
Looked at your picture(s) and did a YIKES!!!!!!!!!
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote