Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
I must have missed something🤔

dw and I have in our mh on and off a few times a few months at a time the last few years. moving job locations have been rving several years. I read on here that is is OK to let Grey water run free unless you are going to use it to flush hose from a black water dump. well for the last couple of months when I would water the flowers I would really get concerned ….. what in the world made that liquid soooo strong I know I didn't eat anything that strong. WOW. I shut off Grey water valved and it stopped, thank God. was afraid it was my plumbing. I thought there was some barrier to stop those gases . did not understand why did not do before. it it just the sewer we are hooked to that has a lot of back pressure though would help as always thanks
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf View Post
dw and I have in our mh on and off a few times a few months at a time the last few years. moving job locations have been rving several years. I read on here that is is OK to let Grey water run free unless you are going to use it to flush hose from a black water dump. well for the last couple of months when I would water the flowers I would really get concerned ….. what in the world made that liquid soooo strong I know I didn't eat anything that strong. WOW. I shut off Grey water valved and it stopped, thank God. was afraid it was my plumbing. I thought there was some barrier to stop those gases . did not understand why did not do before. it it just the sewer we are hooked to that has a lot of back pressure though would help as always thanks
I don't know where you picked that up as the consensus opinion. The vast majority want to hold as much in each tank as possible with a high liquid percentage in order to better flush the tanks. If you leave your gray tank open, then solid bits that drop into the tank will accumulate on the bottom as the water flows out since the flow isn't concentrated enough to take it with it. After a period of time it will build up and if it sits for a while, it may solidify.

Regardless of your dumping habits, a good "geo method" cleaning will help keep things clean and orderly. And you can do it with your RV too.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
thanks

ohhh that may help
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #4

Poop stinks

Rotten food bits, cooking grease/oils go rancid, sloughed body cells/hair then add in a little ammonia from peeing and you have one nasty smelling GREY waste water.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:40 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why are you pee'ing in your grey water tank
Old 10-31-2019, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Why are you pee'ing in your grey water tank

Don't act all innocent......showers/warm water...pee
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:58 PM   #7

One bad wind in the wrong direction one night changed my habits at the kitchen sink. Everything gets wiped down before washing, anything like a blender after my vegetable drink gets the rinse water dumped in the black tank. Showers, washers, sinks don't produce much odor at all, but food down the kitchen sink is taking nasty smells to a whole new level.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:55 PM   #8

Decaying foods and "digested" foods develop similar odors. The smell from decay is the waste from the bacteria that break down your diner leftovers.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Use a sewer support and leave a "trap" where the hose connects to the sewer outlet and the end of the support. That leaves water in the hose, blocking any smell and sewer flies!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Grey tanks can smell as bad as black tanks. I never let any tanks run dry, even with full hook ups. Fill them up and dump when needed. As mentioned, you don't want any chunks of anything clinging to the walls and turning into concrete. You can also add some Happy Campers to the tanks to help with odors. You do not want to have an open passage from sewer to inside your tanks either so keep the valves closed.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Don't act all innocent......showers/warm water...pee
I thought everyone peeded in their sink.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:

I know this sounds odd, but could you clarify something, please?

From your OP, I got the impression after reading the bold part, above, that you were either using grey water to water your flowers or your dump hose was open to the ground and not affixed to a sewer connection. Did I misinterpret your comment?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #13

It's interesting the way our system is set-up. We have ONE holding tank for black AND grey water (189 gallons). We also have a 'grey water bypass' that I can activate where all grey water can be released to an outlet outside of the tank.

I can hook up a hose to this outlet and send the water to a garden, a tree, etc. After having the 'one tank' system for 5 yrs. now, I love it. It's excellent for good water flow as that's what black tanks need.

And, I know that grey water release is not always allowed in certain places.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #14

I always have left the grey valve open without issue. It’s the few times when I’ve neglected to open it have caused any problems. Not to worried about food particles not making down the 1 1/2 inch pipe. More concerned about water backing up into the rig, especially with the washer.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote