Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #1

I Need a Computer to Poop!

This commentary is certainly tongue in cheek:

I've seen several posts lately concerning RV toilets that have some kind of microprocessors to control the flush. What ever happened to gravity? Yes, I know we've at least needed water pressure, which in many cases requires electricity. Unless you go back to out houses, which are not preferred!

It just disturbs me that I need a computer to facilitate the process of pooping in some RVs!!! (LOL!)
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #2

Just wait until your computer RV toilet requires a subscription with cell phone access and reports "usage data" or it wont flush...
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My electric toilet is linked to Kindle. It cuts down on the magazines in the bathroom. It also tells the black tank when I flush......hold on!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My electric toilet is linked to Kindle. It cuts down on the magazines in the bathroom. It also tells the black tank when I flush......hold on!
Without magazines, how do you wipe? Oh wait, I'm thinking old Sears catalogs! (LOL.)
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:33 AM   #5

This problem applies to more than just toilets. RVs in general seem to employ computer controls in many areas where it's not necessary. For instance, interior lighting systems. What was the problem with simple mechanical light switches.

How long before I-pad controlled systems become obsolete? What happens when I-pads no longer exist? The whole gimmicky electronic controlled systems seems like a serious issue just waiting to happen.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:47 AM   #6

It will need to be a smart computer that can access the web and communicate with your other appliances, your smart phone, your energy management system, etc. The best is the metrics and monitoring you can do from you smart phone, including: water uses, flushes per hour, etc, etc. Yes how were you able to go before this advancement.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:51 AM   #7

Apparently, someone thought it would be a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41C249FC-1704-490C-B6E2-4664B382C7A5.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	363777  
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
I've seen several posts lately concerning RV toilets that have some kind of microprocessors to control the flush. What ever happened to gravity? Yes, I know we've at least needed water pressure, which in many cases requires electricity. Unless you go back to out houses, which are not preferred!
I'm with you on this (even though I'm a gadget geek), but there are some use cases where a traditional gravity flush toilet would not work.

In our case the mid-ship half-bath toilet is the traditional gravity flush, which I appreciate for it's simplicity. However, the rear full-bath toilet is a macerator since the discharge line to the black tank is probably 15 feet in length (and a smaller line) so a traditional dump toilet would not work. Thankfully the "control" of the macerator toilet is still a traditional flush pedal (no touch pad or other interface), although with certain pedal pushes we can change flush modes if we wish.

Ironically, the only issue with toilets we have had in almost 4 years of full timing was with the "simple" half-bath gravity flush toilet...had to replace a broken dump valve. Prior to that event I had been more worried about the macerator toilet (which has had zero issues); I now keep a complete set of spare parts for the gravity toilet.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:14 AM   #9

I know the post was tongue in cheek, but I can never resist an opportunity to comment on how much I hated our vacuflush toilet in our old Excursion. I suppose the vacuflush was necessary to support the floor plan in which the toilet was directly over the black tank, but wow, never again. Not only was a piece of equipment that could ruin a trip if it fails, but when you flushed it, the whole campground knew it. No discreetly using the John at night inside the coach either.

Maybe the chip shortage will keep manufacturers from using them any more.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
This problem applies to more than just toilets. RVs in general seem to employ computer controls in many areas where it's not necessary. For instance, interior lighting systems. What was the problem with simple mechanical light switches.

How long before I-pad controlled systems become obsolete? What happens when I-pads no longer exist? The whole gimmicky electronic controlled systems seems like a serious issue just waiting to happen.
I actually believe that the computer controlled panels are a safety hazard.
Picture this scenario, and shouldn't be difficult to imagine since most (or all) of us have made "butt calls" on a cell phone.

WHAT IF you are driving down the road towing your whatever trailer, bluetooth enabled on your phone and you do a "butt call" from your pocket but it happens to be on "compass Connect (what Grand Design uses) and you awning or slide deploys?
Something to make you say "Hmmmm" for sure.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #11

"I need a computer to poop!"

I've never seen a computer poop. Although I guess I have had more than on "crap out" on me.

-IndyJim
Old 04-27-2022, 11:18 AM   #12

I was reading a thread on the Airstream forum about just that. On some models with firefly control, there’s no power switch to physically disable the power awning. For whatever reason, one person’s awning deployed on the highway and it was ripped off. They took it to airstream and the solution was to add a power switch to the trailer to keep that from happening. On my airstream, the awning control box has a factory installed power switch. You simply have to remember to turn it off before towing. Just like the water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I actually believe that the computer controlled panels are a safety hazard.
Picture this scenario, and shouldn't be difficult to imagine since most (or all) of us have made "butt calls" on a cell phone.

WHAT IF you are driving down the road towing your whatever trailer, bluetooth enabled on your phone and you do a "butt call" from your pocket but it happens to be on "compass Connect (what Grand Design uses) and you awning or slide deploys?
Something to make you say "Hmmmm" for sure.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
"I Need a Computer to Poop!"

When I first read this title, I envisioned some kind of advanced medical bionic sphincter situation. But, as I read further, I was quite relieved that wasn't the case.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The tongue and cheek is funny, but there are advantages to some of these electric toilets. First, they allow the manufacturers to change the floorplans around versus always having the bath in one spot.

Second, I have two macerator toilets. They pretty much eliminate all the issues people have with black tanks. No more worries about too much paper and not enough water. No poo pyramids!

I have an electric valve on my black tank and can open it from inside the coach. When I open it, my black tank gravity dumps just like my grey water.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer