Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
I need a new mattress - HELP!

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum -- please feel free to point me elsewhere!

The Mattress in my 2011 Forest River Crusader - is not at all comfortable!
I wake up with a sore back and so on and so on!

I'm looking for a replacement - but I don't want to go Sleep Number because I plan to upgrade to a new Rig (larger) and the bed will likely be larger too!

Does anyone have any recommendations - for a quality 'short queen'
that won't break the budget or my back?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Air mattress?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Air mattress?
Thanks! Air mattress is a possibility but for this round I'm kind of thinking more traditional interspring mattress.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem with our Dune Chaser. we found a mattress pad at Cost Co and it made a world of difference.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGoFly View Post
I wake up with a sore back and so on and so on!

I'm looking for a replacement - but I don't want to go Sleep Number because I plan to upgrade to a new Rig (larger) and the bed will likely be larger too!

Does anyone have any recommendations - for a quality 'short queen'
that won't break the budget or my back?

Thanks
Susan,
Good Luck in your quest. We too are looking for a replacement mattress for our 5-iver. We've had Sealy Posterpedic's for over 40 years and only had one that didn't fit our needs and that was one we purchased with too thick a 'pillow-top'.

We found that Sealy DOES MAKE a 'short queen' for the RV industry but only for manufactures of RV units, NOT for the general public. So far, dealers are telling us that they can not order just a mattress.

I'll be watching this thread as we're still in need of a new mattress also.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Can't help with a replacement. We have a decent stock RV mattress, it just wasn't doing the job. After trying a few things, we found using egg crate foam topped with a memory foam mattress topper really did the job! I actually like it better then the one at home.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We did the same thing as Clyon51 shortly after getting our mh. We didn't do egg crate and memory foam, just memory foam. It made a world of difference. It won't make up for a mattress that's springs are shot, but it does add quite a bit of comfort otherwise.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #8

The matress in our Itasca was a real bone bruiser, so the DW went to Walmart and bought a memory foam topper for about $130.00; sure made a big difference.

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yep, memory foam. the mattress in our rv was horrible. a foam topper made it great!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Almost every town has a mattress company that custom makes mattresses. When I had a bunkhouse motorhome the mattresses were about 2" of soft foam and not much better than sleeping on the plywood base. I had a local company custom make a 32" x 75" bunk mattress. 6 inches of interspring and 3 inches of memory foam on the top. Ended up being the most comfortable mattress in the coach.

Had I not sold the coach to get my new one I would have had one made for the short queen in the bedroom!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
The mattress in my coach was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood. DW bought a 2" memory foam topper for it, and it made all the difference in the world. So, add me to the memory foam bandwagon.

As an aside, I was worried about putting something in the bedroom called 'memory foam'. I didn't really want my bed remembering anything, but nobody makes a 'denial foam' topper yet.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
in search of new mattress

my wife and i are also looking for a new mattress, the one we have is the original one in our 92 hr. talk about being hit by a truck in the morning when u get up. it's rough. hope to get one today.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #13

The mattress in our Sunline 5th wheel was horrible also. We went to Wal-Mart and purchased the 4" memory foam topper and WOW what a difference. I am glad we tried that BEFORE we went and purchased a new mattress, that topper saved us quite a few $$$.
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We did it also, bought the 4" memory foam topper. For the price I would recommend trying one before going with a new mattress. You never know how a new mattress will work until you sleep on it for a few nights or weeks.

We bought the 4" topper which made the bed a little higher than I would like, so I would rather have the 2" topper, but it is much more comfortable than the cheap mattress underneath.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote