Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
I agree with a lot of folks here SLOW down it is not a road race. As to well its the
speed limit well in a car maybe but a motor home is not a car.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
We drove 101 last year in our 38' 5er. There was a bit of construction but it was worth it to see the views. The dunes or gramd. the crab at Winchester Bay delicious and the people were great. Can't wait to get back there in August.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
If you haven't passed us yet swing into the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse and say hi. Newport is a great town to spend sometime in. This entire area is great. We've been here almost a month and we're not bored yet.
I already passed. I saw a light house though, it was probably the one. I really should have stopped there. I wanted to check out the aquarium they had.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How much are you stopping vs. driving? Unless you have a deadline of some sort- STOP- enjoy! Get off the scary road. You seem to be too upset to enjoy the views anyway. Park the RV in a nice spot and use the toad to see the sights.

Passing up the very stuff you came to see- hardly worth the effort to drive down the coast, is it?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #19

wb7auk and fred (sorry cant get my phone to multi quote)

Yes, you are right it feels so different being in a motorhome vs a car. Hubby does a good job driving real nice and slow. its just scary because its so big.
I seen alot of RVers today. Even had a 5er behind me for quite awile, then he pulled over at some view point to smell the roses. i guess i should be doing that. I will take more time to finish 101.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I already passed. I saw a light house though, it was probably the one. I really should have stopped there. I wanted to check out the aquarium they had.

I hope you got to see the aquarioum. It's well worth it.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #21

Hope your trip slows down & you are able to enjoy it more!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
How much are you stopping vs. driving? Unless you have a deadline of some sort- STOP- enjoy! Get off the scary road. You seem to be too upset to enjoy the views anyway. Park the RV in a nice spot and use the toad to see the sights.

Passing up the very stuff you came to see- hardly worth the effort to drive down the coast, is it?
Just heading to california to visit some family, then down south..no hurry though. We took 101 for the scenic route, I had no idea there were so many cliffs. hmmm maybe i should drive and give hubby the cliff views. Haha
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #23

There are many places inland where you will not see the ocean for miles, then you will be right on the ocean. It is a constantly changing landscape with headlands, down low to the surf and tall bridges. How far have you driven today? Maybe you need to turn around and start over. Plan on no more than 100 miles in any given day. When stopped, stop for at least two days to see the sites in the area. Then move on again to the next town. Many people actually don't get much more than 50 miles on any given day. And truth be told that is how the coast is to be experienced. BTW there were no covered wagons down the coast. The original coast road was the beaches. First used by the local Indians, then by the white settlers. There was also several roads across the mountains from the valley. But since the coast range was so densly forrested the coast route from Astoria on the beach was much easier travel. The only real problems were the numerous rivers. Many times they hired local natives to ferry them across the rivers so they could continue their journey.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #24

I took a GF off-roading years ago in my 4X4 Jeep. She wouldn't even let me go down a 2 wheel drive hill.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I have traveled very little since i started fulltiming in May. Today was the day we really started heading down the Oregon coast. I suppose i was expecting something really awesome, don't get me wrong, it was breath taking views, but oh my...maybe too breathtaking. I am very afraid of heights, so this was crazy!

So my belly is upset from this 101 (and i may add the road is in terrible shape) then out of no wear my cat starts yowling in his kitty taxi. (he goes in the taxi because he gets upset tummy too and he does better in the taxi) i turn torward him and tell him he is ok. Then this SMELL......i go open his taxi and he had puked and pood. I grab a bunch of paper towels and start cleaning franticly, i am yelling at hubby to pull OVER NOW! He pulls over next spot and i give kitty a full bubble bath in the sink. So now kitty is a wet rat and very UPSET. So now i have a drenched very upset cat who decides to press himself against the rv front windshield for the rest of the trip.

Oh and forgot to mention we also got ourselves in a bind and had to unhook the toad for 2 seconds to back up a couple feet.

RVing is so glamorous in the mind, but getting out there is a whole nother ballgame...LOL...sigh...i hope tomorrrow is better.
Animals get sick and make a mess. If you don't like this and can't handle the mess, perhaps you shouldn't travel with a pet?
JMHO
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I know someone who sits on the couch on hwy 101. So maybe if you get into a road like that again try sitting on the couch and open the window on the other side so you can enjoy the view from a little distance.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I took a GF off-roading years ago in my 4X4 Jeep. She wouldn't even let me go down a 2 wheel drive hill.
what are you trying to say? That i shouldnt tell hubby how to drive? its my job...lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Hope your trip slows down & you are able to enjoy it more!
thanks Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Animals get sick and make a mess. If you don't like this and can't handle the mess, perhaps you shouldn't travel with a pet?
JMHO
I am upset that kitty gets so upset. I will not and can not get rid of him, i am a fulltimer. Maybe he will get used to traveling? I hope so much.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Oregon Coast is best done in approximately 50 miles a day. The pilot needs the chance to see the views as well as the co-pilot getting a chance to see the drops to the ocean from solid ground. There are a few sections of Hwy 101 that even 50 miles makes for a hard drive.

Too bad you missed spending time in the Newport area. If you haven't gone too far past, I would consider back-tracking for a few days. The Oregon Coast Aquarium, Hatfield Marine Science Center, Yaquina Bay & Yaquina Head Lighthouses, Yaquina Bay waterfront, oldtown Newport, and much more.

Stop EVERY chance you get and marvel at your surroundings. Visit the lighthouses, the towns, the waysides & parks. Enjoy the constantly changing coastline & beaches. DO NOT be in a hurry when traveling the Oregon Coast whether you are in a car or RV....you will miss some of God's most spectacular work. Hope you enjoy the rest of the journey at a much slower & relaxed pace.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote