Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

I need to rant

I have traveled very little since i started fulltiming in May. Today was the day we really started heading down the Oregon coast. I suppose i was expecting something really awesome, don't get me wrong, it was breath taking views, but oh my...maybe too breathtaking. I am very afraid of heights, so this was crazy!

So my belly is upset from this 101 (and i may add the road is in terrible shape) then out of no wear my cat starts yowling in his kitty taxi. (he goes in the taxi because he gets upset tummy too and he does better in the taxi) i turn torward him and tell him he is ok. Then this SMELL......i go open his taxi and he had puked and pood. I grab a bunch of paper towels and start cleaning franticly, i am yelling at hubby to pull OVER NOW! He pulls over next spot and i give kitty a full bubble bath in the sink. So now kitty is a wet rat and very UPSET. So now i have a drenched very upset cat who decides to press himself against the rv front windshield for the rest of the trip.

Oh and forgot to mention we also got ourselves in a bind and had to unhook the toad for 2 seconds to back up a couple feet.

RVing is so glamorous in the mind, but getting out there is a whole nother ballgame...LOL...sigh...i hope tomorrrow is better.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

Sorry your not liking the Oregon coast so far. It is all about the journey, not getting there. Slow down some more and smell the roses. Stop a lot, enjoy the light houses, avoid the tourist traps and you will have fun.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Not sure where you started your Oregon 101 hwy trip but have been working our way
up the coast from Winchester Bay and except for the rain and light winds and god,s
cruel joke of allowing so many to have access to any vehicle and little if any skill in their
operation the trip has been good.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #4

i will try to stop more, and i do tell hubby to slow down all the time, and he says hun...i doing under the speed limit. I did see a light house today..and im so upset i passed devils punchbowl!

We started at the very top, warrenton, oregon. I dont mean to complain, its just the road is so skinny and so bumpy and no gaurdrail, makes me a ball of nerves.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

And to think they came over in covered wagons.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a tough ride. You have my sympathies. I'm not sure where on the coast you are or what your plans are but take your time. The Oregon coast is beautiful, has a lot to offer and there is so much to see.

Oh, and trust me on this, it will get better.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there! It does get better.

As for US101 on the Oregon coast... it gets much less "scary" as you go south toward California. Just don't wander over on to Hwy 1 when it splits from 101. Especially heading south, you just might have to redefine "scary" if 101 in Oregon is a challenge.

Stay safe and keep your sense of humor.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #8

CorLynn - Very good comment about RVing being so glamorous in the mind. And the reality not being that way. All travel is like that. Travel does come from the root word Travail isn't it.

For us in the end the travail has been worth it. We have had very good times in Oregon. We like the Eugene area and especially their farmers market.

If you think 101 is bad in Oregon, wait till you get to CA. Much worse.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

thanks everyone for reading my rant, makes me feel better. And the whole covered wagon trip would have been the end of me ...oh and my cat too.

I am glad to hear 101 gets less scary as i head south...phew!!! Oh and i will avoid hwy 1 2000%! I have heard about that road ...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Are you and hubby type A's? Sounds like you have not yet unraveled from the rat race of every day living, slow down and RELAX. O.K, there are a few bumps in the road, cleaning up after a car sick cat who is now wet and VERY unhappy is not on my bucket list either but you know what, it is a minor disruption in the big scheme of things and will be soon forgotten. Put a smile on your face and enjoy the adventure.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

It's too late for you now, but for others who are white-knucke right-seaters, you might want to consider the trip from South to North. That way the cliffs and steep drops are on the other side of the road. We did that last October and really enjoyed it until the wether turned sour.

We covered from Cape Blanco as far north as Lincoln City and might go back this fall to do the rest up to Astoria, then across the Columbia bridge and home via Olympia, I-5 and I-405.

The negative is that, every time you want to pull off into a scnic stop, you have to cross the southbound traffic.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
CorLynn - Very good comment about RVing being so glamorous in the mind. And the reality not being that way. All travel is like that. Travel does come from the root word Travail isn't it.

For us in the end the travail has been worth it. We have had very good times in Oregon. We like the Eugene area and especially their farmers market.

If you think 101 is bad in Oregon, wait till you get to CA. Much worse.
How far into california??? Oh..oh...i have no words. I am only going down a few miles then cutting over torward Nevada.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
It's too late for you now, but for others who are white-knucke right-seaters, you might want to consider the trip from South to North. That way the cliffs and steep drops are on the other side of the road. We did that last October and really enjoyed it until the wether turned sour.

We covered from Cape Blanco as far north as Lincoln City and might go back this fall to do the rest up to Astoria, then across the Columbia bridge and home via Olympia, I-5 and I-405.

The negative is that, every time you want to pull off into a scnic stop, you have to cross the southbound traffic.
Yes we are in a class A. I am the passenger on the cliff side...hubby did NOT see the views i saw..LOL. He is not allowed to look at views, he is allowed to look at the road. Hubby has meet the other side of his wife today, hmmm i have a feeling we wont be renewing our vows in vegas..LOL

Lincon city was the cuttest town.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you haven't passed us yet swing into the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse and say hi. Newport is a great town to spend sometime in. This entire area is great. We've been here almost a month and we're not bored yet.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote