Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 47,830
I sure hope we never need these!

https://rvlife.com/runaway-ramp-in-an-rv/
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,308
Do the preventive maintenance to keep your rig in good shape AND know how to drive your heavy vehicle (don't just put it in "D" and go) and extremely likely you will even need one.


Don't do the above, and a run-away ramp are much better than the alternative.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
scbwr's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Ridgeville, OH
Posts: 2,209
It's a good idea for all drivers to periodically think about emergency procedures. Somehow, you have to get important information "programmed" into your head so that you remember it in the very small amount of time you have when you have an emergency.

In the case of the runaway ramp, I don't think I have given thought to when you would shift the vehicle into park....and you certainly have to have good timing to do it exactly when the vehicle comes to a stop before it will start going downhill if you don't have any brakes and the parking brake doesn't work or hold. And that's another reason to make sure the parking brake is inspected on a regular basis. Of course, those of us with motorhomes and levelers have to have a working parking break if the levelers are going to work.

Then, there is the correct procedure for a front tire blowout: When you have the blowout, accelerate a bit to keep control, then gradually slow down and make a safe pull over to the side of the road.

So...this makes me think that there should be a basic "emergency procedure list" for drivers. Regular reviews of the list could help drivers be prepared to react intelligently and quickly.

Joe, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am wondering what other folks would have to say about what should be on that list. If there is any interest in this, I would be glad to start a new thread with the purpose of getting feedback and then I would be glad to create the document and share a link for it on the forum.

Joe...thanks for posting the link!
__________________
Retired but busier than ever!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
5 Star Tune, SumoSprings, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, Blue Ox Avail
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
It's a good idea for all drivers to periodically think about emergency procedures. Somehow, you have to get important information "programmed" into your head so that you remember it in the very small amount of time you have when you have an emergency.

In the case of the runaway ramp, I don't think I have given thought to when you would shift the vehicle into park....and you certainly have to have good timing to do it exactly when the vehicle comes to a stop before it will start going downhill if you don't have any brakes and the parking brake doesn't work or hold. And that's another reason to make sure the parking brake is inspected on a regular basis. Of course, those of us with motorhomes and levelers have to have a working parking break if the levelers are going to work.

Then, there is the correct procedure for a front tire blowout: When you have the blowout, accelerate a bit to keep control, then gradually slow down and make a safe pull over to the side of the road.

So...this makes me think that there should be a basic "emergency procedure list" for drivers. Regular reviews of the list could help drivers be prepared to react intelligently and quickly.

Joe, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am wondering what other folks would have to say about what should be on that list. If there is any interest in this, I would be glad to start a new thread with the purpose of getting feedback and then I would be glad to create the document and share a link for it on the forum.

Joe...thanks for posting the link!

This is a great idea. I would certainly take a hard look and likely benefit from the kind of info you are proposing.

You already have brake failures and blow outs. Recently there was a thread about fishtailing TT's with some conflicting discussion about how to remedy. That would be a good topic. Others might be driving/towing in heavy wind and safely changing a flat on the side of the road.
__________________
2021 Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 19ERD.
2018 RAM 1500 6 cyl Ecodiesel
"Have Rod Will Fish"
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
This is a great idea. I would certainly take a hard look and likely benefit from the kind of info you are proposing.

You already have brake failures and blow outs. Recently there was a thread about fishtailing TT's with some conflicting discussion about how to remedy. That would be a good topic. Others might be driving/towing in heavy wind and safely changing a flat on the side of the road.
I have seen a few semis that had to use these emergency ramps. They were certainly in no danger of rolling back down off of them as their suspensions were destroyed and their loads had exploded free of the confines of the trailer box. Not a pretty sight.
Southbound from Fancy Gap on I77 I once saw a Swift semi parked directly across the entrance to the third runaway on that hill. Amazing!!!
__________________
TandW
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Alan_Hepburn's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: San Jose, Ca, USA
Posts: 2,040
Yeah - once you commit to a runaway ramp you're basically writing off your RV. They are filled with pea gravel and once you hit it you sink to your frame and come to a QUICK stop! You better be wearing your seat belt, and hope there's nothing behind your cockpit seats that will come flying forward...
__________________
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) Sport
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I have seen a few semis that had to use these emergency ramps. They were certainly in no danger of rolling back down off of them as their suspensions were destroyed and their loads had exploded free of the confines of the trailer box. Not a pretty sight.
Southbound from Fancy Gap on I77 I once saw a Swift semi parked directly across the entrance to the third runaway on that hill. Amazing!!!
I see these ramps all over the place but have never seen one in actual use. I can imagine hitting that soft sand/gravel wouldn't exactly be a soft landing.
__________________
2021 Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 19ERD.
2018 RAM 1500 6 cyl Ecodiesel
"Have Rod Will Fish"
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern California
Posts: 802
disk brakes are on the way ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I see these ramps all over the place but have never seen one in actual use. I can imagine hitting that soft sand/gravel wouldn't exactly be a soft landing.
I've never seen one in action, but I've seen two that had been used at some point. It looked like the big rig tires had moved a lot of gravel out of the way by the time the rig had stopped. Though some of that might have resulted from pulling the rig out.

I have disc brakes on the way for my 5er. A way overdue upgrade.
__________________
2020 GMC Denali 2500HD Crew 4X4 Gas 6.6L Rockwood 8280WS (30' 5th)
Solar plus LiFePO4 with mini split A/c & 12V fridge
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 4,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Yeah - once you commit to a runaway ramp you're basically writing off your RV. They are filled with pea gravel and once you hit it you sink to your frame and come to a QUICK stop! You better be wearing your seat belt, and hope there's nothing behind your cockpit seats that will come flying forward...
I put a post on this forum one time about how I don't allow anything to be left in a sink, on the furniture, dinette, stove or in the hallway of our MH which could come forward if we ever had a front end collision.
People tend to leave dishes and silverware in sinks, coffee pots on stove tops, drain board or sink covers sitting on counter tops and whatever else. They are all potential projectiles IMO.
I got all but skinned alive for suggesting anything so foolish.
Good Luck
__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I put a post on this forum one time about how I don't allow anything to be left in a sink, on the furniture, dinette, stove or in the hallway of our MH which could come forward if we ever had a front end collision.
People tend to leave dishes and silverware in sinks, coffee pots on stove tops, drain board or sink covers sitting on counter tops and whatever else. They are all potential projectiles IMO.
I got all but skinned alive for suggesting anything so foolish.
Good Luck
70 degree + rolls in a typhoon in the South China Sea aboard DD743 taught me a lot about "missile hazards".
__________________
TandW
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 17,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
70 degree + rolls in a typhoon in the South China Sea aboard DD743 taught me a lot about "missile hazards".
Same....but aboard DDG31
Way top heavy due to rebuild.retro fitting
Some of those rolls 'hung' long time

I got lambasted for mentioning pets should not be roaming freely, on laps or riding on the dashboard


As for those Run Away Ramps

BIG tow trucks required to pull STUCK vehicles out cause they SINK deeply into that gravel....which is how they are designed

Rolling back is not an option or concern
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 377
Years ago one of my brothers was training to drive trucks. I asked him if they taught him how to use those ramps.

He said ďNo, they teach how to not need them!Ē
__________________
2018 F350 Limited
2021 Outdoors RV 24KRS
2021 Arctic Fox 27-5L
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Make sure you don't have these tires.... uncbearfan MH-General Discussions & Problems 16 04-14-2018 05:52 PM
I'm not too sure of the TRUE part of many of these... bsinmich RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 0 05-30-2013 11:19 AM
I hope this never happens to you pumper9x9 Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 11-09-2012 03:24 PM
NEVER say NEVER Madame Boomer Texas Boomers 18 06-06-2010 03:36 PM
Things you read about, but hope never happen to you! GoneFishin Monaco Owner's Forum 4 06-02-2007 08:32 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.