Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I sure hope we never need these!

https://rvlife.com/runaway-ramp-in-an-rv/
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #2

Do the preventive maintenance to keep your rig in good shape AND know how to drive your heavy vehicle (don't just put it in "D" and go) and extremely likely you will even need one.

Don't do the above, and a run-away ramp are much better than the alternative.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #3

It's a good idea for all drivers to periodically think about emergency procedures. Somehow, you have to get important information "programmed" into your head so that you remember it in the very small amount of time you have when you have an emergency.

In the case of the runaway ramp, I don't think I have given thought to when you would shift the vehicle into park....and you certainly have to have good timing to do it exactly when the vehicle comes to a stop before it will start going downhill if you don't have any brakes and the parking brake doesn't work or hold. And that's another reason to make sure the parking brake is inspected on a regular basis. Of course, those of us with motorhomes and levelers have to have a working parking break if the levelers are going to work.

Then, there is the correct procedure for a front tire blowout: When you have the blowout, accelerate a bit to keep control, then gradually slow down and make a safe pull over to the side of the road.

So...this makes me think that there should be a basic "emergency procedure list" for drivers. Regular reviews of the list could help drivers be prepared to react intelligently and quickly.

Joe, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am wondering what other folks would have to say about what should be on that list. If there is any interest in this, I would be glad to start a new thread with the purpose of getting feedback and then I would be glad to create the document and share a link for it on the forum.

Joe...thanks for posting the link!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
It's a good idea for all drivers to periodically think about emergency procedures. Somehow, you have to get important information "programmed" into your head so that you remember it in the very small amount of time you have when you have an emergency.

In the case of the runaway ramp, I don't think I have given thought to when you would shift the vehicle into park....and you certainly have to have good timing to do it exactly when the vehicle comes to a stop before it will start going downhill if you don't have any brakes and the parking brake doesn't work or hold. And that's another reason to make sure the parking brake is inspected on a regular basis. Of course, those of us with motorhomes and levelers have to have a working parking break if the levelers are going to work.

Then, there is the correct procedure for a front tire blowout: When you have the blowout, accelerate a bit to keep control, then gradually slow down and make a safe pull over to the side of the road.

So...this makes me think that there should be a basic "emergency procedure list" for drivers. Regular reviews of the list could help drivers be prepared to react intelligently and quickly.

Joe, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am wondering what other folks would have to say about what should be on that list. If there is any interest in this, I would be glad to start a new thread with the purpose of getting feedback and then I would be glad to create the document and share a link for it on the forum.

Joe...thanks for posting the link!

This is a great idea. I would certainly take a hard look and likely benefit from the kind of info you are proposing.

You already have brake failures and blow outs. Recently there was a thread about fishtailing TT's with some conflicting discussion about how to remedy. That would be a good topic. Others might be driving/towing in heavy wind and safely changing a flat on the side of the road.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
This is a great idea. I would certainly take a hard look and likely benefit from the kind of info you are proposing.

You already have brake failures and blow outs. Recently there was a thread about fishtailing TT's with some conflicting discussion about how to remedy. That would be a good topic. Others might be driving/towing in heavy wind and safely changing a flat on the side of the road.
I have seen a few semis that had to use these emergency ramps. They were certainly in no danger of rolling back down off of them as their suspensions were destroyed and their loads had exploded free of the confines of the trailer box. Not a pretty sight.
Southbound from Fancy Gap on I77 I once saw a Swift semi parked directly across the entrance to the third runaway on that hill. Amazing!!!
Old 07-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah - once you commit to a runaway ramp you're basically writing off your RV. They are filled with pea gravel and once you hit it you sink to your frame and come to a QUICK stop! You better be wearing your seat belt, and hope there's nothing behind your cockpit seats that will come flying forward...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I have seen a few semis that had to use these emergency ramps. They were certainly in no danger of rolling back down off of them as their suspensions were destroyed and their loads had exploded free of the confines of the trailer box. Not a pretty sight.
Southbound from Fancy Gap on I77 I once saw a Swift semi parked directly across the entrance to the third runaway on that hill. Amazing!!!
I see these ramps all over the place but have never seen one in actual use. I can imagine hitting that soft sand/gravel wouldn't exactly be a soft landing.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #8

disk brakes are on the way ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I see these ramps all over the place but have never seen one in actual use. I can imagine hitting that soft sand/gravel wouldn't exactly be a soft landing.
I've never seen one in action, but I've seen two that had been used at some point. It looked like the big rig tires had moved a lot of gravel out of the way by the time the rig had stopped. Though some of that might have resulted from pulling the rig out.

I have disc brakes on the way for my 5er. A way overdue upgrade.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Yeah - once you commit to a runaway ramp you're basically writing off your RV. They are filled with pea gravel and once you hit it you sink to your frame and come to a QUICK stop! You better be wearing your seat belt, and hope there's nothing behind your cockpit seats that will come flying forward...
I put a post on this forum one time about how I don't allow anything to be left in a sink, on the furniture, dinette, stove or in the hallway of our MH which could come forward if we ever had a front end collision.
People tend to leave dishes and silverware in sinks, coffee pots on stove tops, drain board or sink covers sitting on counter tops and whatever else. They are all potential projectiles IMO.
I got all but skinned alive for suggesting anything so foolish.
Good Luck
Old 07-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I put a post on this forum one time about how I don't allow anything to be left in a sink, on the furniture, dinette, stove or in the hallway of our MH which could come forward if we ever had a front end collision.
People tend to leave dishes and silverware in sinks, coffee pots on stove tops, drain board or sink covers sitting on counter tops and whatever else. They are all potential projectiles IMO.
I got all but skinned alive for suggesting anything so foolish.
Good Luck
70 degree + rolls in a typhoon in the South China Sea aboard DD743 taught me a lot about "missile hazards".
Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
70 degree + rolls in a typhoon in the South China Sea aboard DD743 taught me a lot about "missile hazards".
Same....but aboard DDG31
Way top heavy due to rebuild.retro fitting
Some of those rolls 'hung' long time

I got lambasted for mentioning pets should not be roaming freely, on laps or riding on the dashboard

As for those Run Away Ramps

BIG tow trucks required to pull STUCK vehicles out cause they SINK deeply into that gravel....which is how they are designed

Rolling back is not an option or concern
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #12

Years ago one of my brothers was training to drive trucks. I asked him if they taught him how to use those ramps.

He said ďNo, they teach how to not need them!Ē
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote