Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I've never pulled a dual axle trailer so have no idea how those axles are set up. Can too high a hitch height put more weight on the trailer's rear axle? If so, could it be enough to cause problems for those tires?
Towing 'Nose High' Can shift some weight to rear SET of tires (both sides)

Either that one problem wheel position (curbside--rear) is:
Running under inflated for the weight
Misaligned
Bent spindle
Brake mounting flange NOT welded on square

I suspect something mechanical .... new tire blows after 350 miles??

Maybe OP will post back with more info.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I've never pulled a dual axle trailer so have no idea how those axles are set up. Can too high a hitch height put more weight on the trailer's rear axle? If so, could it be enough to cause problems for those tires?
Heard of that being a problem. Friend bought a new truck and the hitch height was six inches higher than the old truck. He figured he could tow his 5er ok with that change. He blew both rear tire on the trailer after about 1000 miles. Of course there's no saying what condition the tires were in before he started the tow.

Glenn
Old 12-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #17

OP stated both blown tires were 'rear passenger side'
One side only ...same wheel position

Nose High would affect BOTH sides rear tires

Profile shows 2019 Dutchmen Astoria 3273MBF
Floorplan shows nothing on passengers side that would cause Heavy Load *couch/dinette in slideout

Drivers side would be heavier due to BunkBed Slideout, Pantry, Kitchen slideout etc

***Mechanical Issue...rear passenger side Wheel Position

OP...are you there???

*Tire Pressures (80# or using lower psi)??
*Place a straight edge across both curbside tires.....does it touch all four points (2 on each tire)?
*Is that tire/wheel 'Straight Up/Down' like other tires or does it have slight canter to it?
(Trailer Axles have the same upward bend?
*Bent Shackle/suspension?

Old 12-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #18

Hey guys. A little more info. The first blowout was cheap tire. Inflated to 75 psi before a 250 mile trip. Tire blew about 30 miles in. Put a new Carlisle tire on and it made the trip just fine.

Took the trailer and got all new Endurance tires for a big 2000 mile trip to the west coast and back. Same tire blew just outside of Albuquerque. Put the Carlisle back on because it was my spare. It made the rest of the 1700 miles and is still on there mainly because I thought it may be the rim as both blowouts happened on the stock rim.

I will check alignment and the last time I looked at the axles they both looked good with the same slight curve. Trailer also sits pretty level. Maybe a slight nose high but pretty level.

Tires are inflated to 75. Should I go the full 80?
03ki11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ki11er View Post
Hey guys. A little more info. The first blowout was cheap tire. Inflated to 75 psi before a 250 mile trip. Tire blew about 30 miles in. Put a new Carlisle tire on and it made the trip just fine.

Took the trailer and got all new Endurance tires for a big 2000 mile trip to the west coast and back. Same tire blew just outside of Albuquerque. Put the Carlisle back on because it was my spare. It made the rest of the 1700 miles and is still on there mainly because I thought it may be the rim as both blowouts happened on the stock rim.

I will check alignment and the last time I looked at the axles they both looked good with the same slight curve. Trailer also sits pretty level. Maybe a slight nose high but pretty level.

Some clarification
Carlisle tire is on its own rim ... NOT the same rim the two tires that blew??

YES...then Stock Rim is bad from 1st blowout and caused 2nd blowout
*Carlisle didn't blowout

75 vs 80
YES 80 because you have NOT weighed the trailer

Details give a more clear picture
Old 12-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #20

Quote:

T

Yes
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:23 AM   #21

Quote:

ST tire mfgrs. say to run their tires at sidewall maximum due to the extreme sidewall stress encountered. The only ST tire mfgr I know of to publish a load/inflation chart is Maxxis. Carlisle Tire used to state in their warranty, if the tires are not inflated to sidewall maximum the warranty is void.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #22

I find it odd that he would have 15" tires on that trailer. Also if the front of the trailer is exceptionally high it would be putting extra load on the rear axle. The equalizer between the two springs helps to a point but if it is real high it still will shift weight to the rear axle. I can't imagine it would have the torsion axles but those are real touchy as to having the trailer level.
I didn't read all the posts before writing but I still wonder about the 15" tires.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #23

Quote:

Has already been affirmed but I'll chime my yes as well. No experience myself but from posts I've read on Irv2, go with the maximum cold pressure stated on the tire. If your tire sidewall states 80 cold psi,, then go with it.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OPs tire issue is on the 5th wheel ----nothing about truck tires/weight etc

5th wheel trailer tires should be adequate for the weight on the trailer axles

Tire blowing out twice at same wheel position indicates issue with that wheel position.

With 'equalizer' on suspension between the two tires the 'load' on that side of trailer should be similar and NOT overloaded

Question is OP running MAX PSI/MAX Load on the tires

and is that wheel position have mechanical issues (bent spindle/alignment etc

Tires blowing is a safety issue so is overloading truck probably more so. So what does it hurt to know your pin weight. Both camper and truck needs to be properly weighted to help diagnose the problem.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #25

Thanks for the replies! If nothing else I’ve learned to inflate the tires to the maximum PSI. I will get the trailer on a cat scale and check the alignment. I will probably still upgrade the tires as I have plenty of room but it will be a tough pill considering these Goodyear’s only have 3000 miles on them.
03ki11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! If nothing else I’ve learned to inflate the tires to the maximum PSI. I will get the trailer on a cat scale and check the alignment. I will probably still upgrade the tires as I have plenty of room but it will be a tough pill considering these Goodyear’s only have 3000 miles on them.
I bet you can sell those tires quickly, anybody with a utility trailer would probably want them.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #27

Quote:
You didn't answer the question about RIMS/

GYs that blew.....were they BOTH on same rim?

Carlise tire that didn't blow....was on different rim then the GYs?

YES....
then it is NOT an overloading the tire issue
1st GY Blew (road debris, underinflated, bad tire, nail/screw whatever) and damaged rim.
New GY on damaged rim and it blew in 350 miles.

Carlise with its' own rim....1700 miles ---didn't blow

Do I have that right??

YES....then you just need a New rim and GY tire

NO....then you need to find/solve WHY one tire blows on the curbside rear axle???????
Old 12-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #28

Quote:
As Old Biscuit mentioned, I'd check for anything out of whack on the axle before doing anything else. It could be that specific wheel, something loose, something wrong with the axle, maybe even something on the trailer itself that's coming into contact with the tire during severe spring compression.

Because you've had the problems already, I figure it probably makes you a bit anxious every time you take the rig out. Even though the 15 inch wheels/tires may be acceptable for your use, I'd be thinking like you and want to see if another combination might be better. Going with more capable tires would not change the GVWR or axle's ratings but it would still give some peace of mind knowing the tires themselves would be more up to the task. I'd also know that a larger diameter would make less revolutions per mile, a good thing in my opinion.

Some questions to be answered first though.

Will larger even fit under the fenders? Will the tire actually have more capacity? Would pressures need to be higher to achieve the higher capacity? Would it have stiffer sidewalls/more plies that might cause too rough a ride for the trailer? And then the important question, would the extra cost be worth what was gained?

Tags
tires