Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
And then they try to sell you everything you will will need for camping.
I've seen the salesman takes the new buyers throughout the store and start telling the they need this and that for their new unit.

The only reason I go there is if I need something right away.
I think that's what most local stores count on -- the advantage they have if a customer needs something in a hurry.

I've noticed that some stores -- like, say, Auto Zone -- have 2 price tiers, online and in-store. Online is often significantly less -- presumably because they assume the buyer is shopping around and can wait at least a couple days.

The in-store price is higher, probably because they figure that if you're in the store you need something immediately and probably aren't comparing prices.

Suzuki DRZ-400 on hitch carrier.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I tried to give Camping World a chance too but unfortunately the employees at our local CW are very rude and make it very obvious they don't want to be there so I quit bothering them.

It sounds like you went to CW in Troutdale Oregon! I saw that same thing happened to me!🇺🇦☮️✌🏻
Old 05-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #45

Im not big on CW but if i am near one and need something for my rolling home ill stop. I generally find the folks pleasant ant helpful you get a good sam discount and i have it in my hand.
I dont buy from amazon.ever..Dont like folks that abuse thier help.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Odd, We've never encountered a rude employee at the Tucson CW. We still rarely go because it takes over an hour to get there.
I shouldn't say all of them because I've only dealt with 4, 2 were cashiers, 1 worked at the parts counter and 1 was an RV salesperson. The only one that was friendly was the RV salesperson. One cashier in particular was rude to the extreme while the other 2 employees did not really want to be there. It kind of taints you to the whole place, I worked in customer service all my life, first in retail and then in service, if you don't want to be there go somewhere else.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
But I couldn't see paying $359 for a Jack-it bike carrier that I can order on Amazon for $225. They would budge on the price.
Oh well...
We started out on a cross country bucket list trip in 2016 with a 1997 40' Executive , it had a dish on the roof for TV, and worked when we purchased it from a private party. . The previous owner paid for another month of Dish for us to have TV on the way back to NV from CA and we used it in the RV park . we drove it home and parked if for a few months , We called Dish to start service and no problem , but when we tried to get the TV to work , the dish went up and searched and the green band on the TV says loading , but got so far and the dish went to bed . Frustrated called Dish and they asked what Box we had and I told them and they said it was out of date and we needed to buy a new box for$100. We did that and came back and tried to put the new box in but it had a HDMI plug and our old tube TV had a coaxial , didn't want the big Tube TV, so got online to Walmart , had a sale on the size we needed . Drove to WA state to visit my sister and decided to get the material that I needed tg install the flat screen TV where the Tube TV was.
We installed the new TV and it did the same thing the dish went up and searched , still no luck , clled Dish again and they said they would send a signal to the box and it should work and implied that we were in the trees and that is why we couldn't get a signal . still no luck Really getting frustrated now.. we headed for Spokane , WA, parked on a knoll ,roadside rest , not a tree in sight, Tried it again and still the same . Went on the the RV park and tried it again, no luck.. called Dish again and they said let us connect you to the Technical department. , a nice guy answers the phone and I explain what has been happening , he asked me what brand Dish I ha on the roof. , I told him Motosat, he says that is no good. , I told him it worked when we purchased the RV a few months ago, He goes on to inform us that due to the customer request for HD TV they put up three new satilites , and I would have to replace the Dish with a new one. he offered to ship us one for $1,700.00. told him who will install it , he said any RV dealer can do it. I told him I would think about it. so went to Amazon and they had it for $1,375.00
I then found all the RV dealers in the area and they all said they were booked until after July 5th. and this is in June. , We are two senior widowed men in an old RV and want TV for our cross country trip. . was almost about to give up and I thought of Camping world., they had a dealer in Spokane, close to us, , this is Friday afternoon , I called the parts department and asked about the Model Dish that I wanted and they said the cost was $1,325.00 I then asked to speek with the Service Department, they transfered my call and a guy says Service Dept and I repeated my story and dismay as we really wanted TV for our trip so asked when thy could install the unit , he says call you back in a few minuites, told my budy he won't call back.. But he did about 20 min later. he says how about on Monday at 10:30 am, I said you are kidding me he says no , I said you guys will be our hero to get this done for our trip. Took the RV to the location , had to take the car off of the tow dolly and then they took it in to the shop and about 4 hours late we were on our way and spend 6months on the road and it worked perfectly every time. so Happy with every thing they did. will always defend them when I can , We were both in our late 70's and we could not install it .. so be kind.
Mike Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #48

I have been to Camping world when they send me a coupon for renewing my Good Sam membership, and we usually buy a little sign or plaque for the camper that we wouldn't have bought elsewhere. Their prices are just too far out of line for me otherwise.

I will say that when online sales first really took off, then amazon.com came around, I would say similar things that a previous poster said about wanting to be able to go touch, handle, inspect the item I was about to buy. And in my mind that really made sense. Then one day maybe 5 yrs ago I needed a beard trimmer and I went to Walmart thinking I'd be able to actually "look" at the item. Then I realized for a lot of items, I'd rather read through customer reviews than simply pick up the item in a store with no regard of how it worked. That is when I really considered that Brick and mortar stores are probably in more trouble in the future.

However, I will say my local Ace hardware store gets my money when it's something I need advice about. The staff there are former plumbers, electricians, and just super knowledgable. So if I go there with a problem, and if their solution is way more than Amazon or Walmart, or Home Depot, they still get my money because that kind of service is hard to replace.
Being Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:54 PM   #49

A lot of hate for CW here...

I would likely never, ok unless they were the only one around, take my MH in there to fix something. We had a couple of bad experiences with their service dept., but Online orders have been pretty good (only have done a half dozen or so).

Sometimes their online product pricing is incredible! (likely someone screwed up) But the item(s) get delivered...
Old 05-15-2022, 06:55 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
CW vs anyone else

CW, Good Sam, RV mags owned by CW CEO Marcus Lamonis will never ever see any of our hard earned dead presidents. "The self proclaimed Profit" IMHO does not conduct business in good faith.
rvguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:35 PM   #51

camping world

CW is one of the last places

i would go out of my way to spend money with. MOMCAT
Old 05-15-2022, 08:43 PM   #52

It seems that opinions of CW are heavily weighted to the poor end of the scale. Maybe they are a victim of their own success, I remember when Home Depot had that same problem but they took action and launched a serious customer service program that pretty much restored their standing in the consumer's eye.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:22 PM   #53

Do you mean to say they ď would not ď budge on price ?
Old 05-15-2022, 10:29 PM   #54

Thatís because there way overpriced priced on everything !! I went to buy a double Hose connector I went to the register to pay and they said 28$ I pulled my debit card out the machine Iím I went to Home Depot and got the same one for 6$
I donít shop there anymore !!
Robert6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:45 PM   #55

I usually try to weigh the benefits of doing business with local businesses. When I have to pay twice as much as getting it online I will bring that up to them and if I get the same response as the OP did I will order it. Iíve had auto parts places quite often tell me they can order it and my response is so can I and if I order it I donít have get in my truck to come here to get it. The main reason the brick and mortar businesses canít compete price-wise with Amazon and others is they donít have warehouses to store the inventory like Amazon. The problem I have with ordering anything is if there multiple sizes of what I need I usually get the wrong size and then have to deal with the nightmare of returning it through the mail.
Empty nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
But I couldn't see paying $359 for a Jack-it bike carrier that I can order on Amazon for $225. They would budge on the price.
Oh well...
😂 Good luck on that. The best they will budge is if youíre a ďGood Samď member - 10% is it; they are too proud of their price and more than likely will tell you to go buy it at Amazon or on-line. Other than that, be prepared to be on the receiving end of No.
Penmiester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world, money