Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2022, 05:37 PM   #1

I tried to give Camping World my money. I really did...

But I couldn't see paying $359 for a Jack-it bike carrier that I can order on Amazon for $225. They would budge on the price.
Oh well...
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 05:44 PM   #2

Sounds like an easy choice if it's the same rack.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would not even had tried to give them my business. It sounds like the amazon vendor earned your business, not camping world. I reward the people that earn my business.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I also try to give my business to the local sticks and bricks stores but if they don't want to compete or have to order it I just tell them I tried and move along.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not been in a Camping World store for many years. Likely never will again anyhow. Yes I like the local stores but when I have to drive 1 1/2 hrs to get to them and pay a higher price plus more local sales tax I usually just buy from Amazon and have it at my front door in three days. Typically we get into town only about 2 -3 times a week. So I get product just about as fast. Also if the folks in town have to order it I walk out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #6

I tried to give Camping World a chance too but unfortunately the employees at our local CW are very rude and make it very obvious they don't want to be there so I quit bothering them.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:15 AM   #7

I often fight this urge, and I see so many people have given up the fight. I live in a small development with 27 houses. I don't sit outside watching, but I think I typically see an Amazon truck at least once a day on our street, 7 days a week, including Sunday. Not counting the UPS and Fed Ex trucks delivering each day.

When I had my Jeep Wrangler, I had an issue and the 4WD place in Fort Worth helped me with a solution and some great hints. They also sold me some returns that were in great shape at a great price. I try to give them business when I can, and I have discovered they often can sell to me at the same price as Amazon or some of the other online outlets. It may take them a bit longer to get certain parts I order, but I like to reward the service.

The bot running the Amazon website is not typically going to be able to give me that real world hint that if you hold your nose this way and squint real hard, this widget will slip right into that slot on the whatchamacallit. The guys at the 4WD place did. In my case, I was installing some new material hold downs for the hood on my JK Wrangler. I was warned to wait till the temperature was above 60 degrees to do the initial installation, as they were prone to cracking in colder weather. I doubt the Amazon bot would have given me that installation hint.

Based on my visits to Camping World, the employees were only slightly more intune with the intricacies of camping equipment than Bezo's Amazon bot.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:29 AM   #8

Yea cw is just too darned expensive for most things. I honestly don't see how everyone else hasn't seen this as well and stopped shopping there as well. And TBH, that's most camping/sporting stores out there. I try to shy away from them when I can.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:44 AM   #9

I think the major reason CW has been successful so far is the fact that people can go there and buy an RV easily on credit. If RV sales slow down they may have to work on their customer service a bit harder.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We're fortunate to have a nearby Camping World where the parts and store folks are very nice and very attentive. The service department has a terrible reputation though, so we wouldn't try to take our coach there for service. Prices there are always high, but they're a bit lower than some of the dealers we've been to. Mostly, they can't compete with Amazon, and they get most of my business. I agree that as the slowdown in sales continues, some of these places are going to go under. They rode the wave, but any dealer with bad reviews for poor service is going to find it harder and harder to stay in business.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:19 AM   #11

before my wife retired last year we had access to Atlas through her work.they supply the dealer networks parts/service depts with all of their parts.i miss that.all of our stuff was half the price of the dealers parts department price (no CW up here).now we shop on line,mostly Amazon.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I think the major reason CW has been successful so far is the fact that people can go there and buy an RV easily on credit. If RV sales slow down they may have to work on their customer service a bit harder.

And then they try to sell you everything you will will need for camping.
I've seen the salesman takes the new buyers throughout the store and start telling the they need this and that for their new unit.

The only reason I go there is if I need something right away.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I think the major reason CW and any brick & mortar store gets business today is that you can go touch it and feel it. I can pick up the part, twirl it around in my hand, and decide if I think it will work. Will this new gadget fit in my TT? Is it to heavy, to light, is it comfortable?

The last thing my wife and I purchased from CW were two rocking camping chairs. We had looked many other places, Academy, Wally World, etc. CW happened to have some rockers that folded down relatively small as compared to other rockers, were rated to handle my fat rear, and were comfortable to sit and rock in.

I can't buy clothes or shoes online, and furniture is something I need to try out. I hate the idea of purchasing furniture from Nebraska Furniture, but I can actually try out a whole warehouse size of furniture and find one I like.

Sure, with Amazon I can return it no questions asked typically, but that is more work than it is worth to me.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only time I will buy from CW is when they have a loss leader that I cannot beat the price elsewhere.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world, money