Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

I used road side assistance - learnings

My tow car was dead when I returned home
I needed it towed to a local shop
I called Good Sam - the recording said to apply via app they text or stay on line
I tied the app but it kept hanging up and wouldn’t move past the point where the drop down menus would appear
I have two iPhones, same on both
Tried waiting on line - it said it has my number & will call if we get disconnected
No one ever picked up
Two days later - no call back

I also called Progressive - uses same text app
Exact same experience all the way around

I also had roadside via USAA, different app, got a tow, they continued to check on me until towed

I wasn’t stranded. It wasn’t an emergency. If it was I would have been better off finding a tow myself than good Sam or progressive

#SAD
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #2

I've always stayed on the phone until an operator connected. Never had a problem requesting to speak with a supervisor didn't fix; but then I've only been a lifetime member for 14 years.
Almost exactly one year ago GS ERS paid out over $2,000 for towing our MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #3

I never had to use my Good Sam, so no experience with an actual need there, but I when I had Progressive insurance on my Class A MH I had the towing option on that policy. Had a blowout on the outside rear dual while traveling and fortunately happened right next to an exit so I could get off the freeway. I called Progressive and the young lady on the phone literally did not know what a Motorhome was! True! I told her to think Greyhound Bus and I needed a tire delivered and installed where I was. She diddled around and kept trying to send me to RV dealerships. I kept telling her I needed a heavy-duty truck service like a Semi would need. After about 20 minutes of that I politely told her I was done and would find a service myself. I called my SIL, who runs an OTR trucking company's shop, told him where I was and asked who I could call. He immediately gave me a name and 20 minutes later the tire was delivered and getting changed. Progressive was worthless for my situation. Maybe their roadside is OK for light trucks and towable tires, etc. but they sure couldn't help with a "big" tire need.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #4

Sounds like you would have been better off towing it there yourself!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
My tow car was dead when I returned home

I needed it towed to a local shop

I called Good Sam - the recording said to apply via app they text or stay on line

I tied the app but it kept hanging up and wouldn’t move past the point where the drop down menus would appear

I have two iPhones, same on both

Tried waiting on line - it said it has my number & will call if we get disconnected

No one ever picked up

Two days later - no call back

I also called Progressive - uses same text app

Exact same experience all the way around

I also had roadside via USAA, different app, got a tow, they continued to check on me until towed

I wasn’t stranded. It wasn’t an emergency. If it was I would have been better off finding a tow myself than good Sam or progressive

#SAD

Dead like a dead battery?
Old 07-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #6

no I went to charge the battery but the charger said it was 100% and everything else on the car worked well, electric windows, etc. so I felt it wasn't the battery

I could turn the key but then nothing whatsoever, no clicking, nothing
The shifter wouldnt move out of park
I thought it might be the shift lock so I removed the moldings on the column and the console. I operated the manual shift lock bypass so I could move the shifter but same, nothing when I attempted to start it.

I studied the schematics and googled the issue .... if the range sensor ... the switch that tells the computer what gear the transmission is in, were completely failed, that it would cause that problem. I've seen range sensors fail on other cars. I used the shift lock bypass and put it in neutral to try it but no joy.

it could be the ignition key module. it could be the starter but the start is less than a year old (acdelco professional series) so it shouldn't be bad. I could have tried to jump the starter itself buy it is extremely difficult to get to.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #7

I wanted to follow up on my bad experience at a minimum to figure out how to make the text app work in the future
I messaged Good Sam - over two weeks later no reply
I messaged the Good Sam CEO - over two weeks later no reply
I messaged Progressive - over two weeks later no reply
I found out that Good Sam, Progressive and USAA all outsource their road side assistance to a 3rd party provider - Agero
Agero is a giant corporation administering road side assistance for many many companies
I messaged Aqero - after a week I haven't gotten any reply
I tried to call Agero customer service but it is very difficult to find a number and to get through to a person
I need to figure out how to get the text app they use to work or I'll never get towing response from them in the future

If you think that Good Sam or Progressive or USAA are doing the roadside assistance themselves ..... you would be wrong ..... they are all using the same 3rd party provider ....