Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #43

Wow! A sudden wind blew my big awning up on the roof with little damage, thank goodness! But now I watch the winds like a hawk!
LINDAJEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #44

When I was new many years ago and you offered help or helpful info I couldn*t Thankyou enough..... then I asked you *What else do you Know*
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
"Pride comes before a fall?"

Or like I asked my son...a few times: "Do you really just have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way?"
As my SgtMaj explained to me one day while we were discussing one of our 2%ers (as in 2% of your people take up 90% of your time), Captain, ya' gotta remember that some people learn by listening, some learn by watching, and some just gotta piss on the electric fence themselves.
adriangordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #46

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Probably hated that awning. It”s a good thing that it’s gone. I know we all appreciate unsolicited advice from strangers when we’re trying to do something new.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #47

Good descriptions of the 20% of RVers who do not know when to ask for help, how accept it graciously, or give it tactfully. These same folks usually have the same problem in other aspects of their life.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #48

Me too also

One night about 6 years ago my wife and I were in our toy hauler that we had for about 10 years. We got a great night sleep enjoying a pleasant Florida night rain. The sound of the rain put us right to sleep. I was very confused in the morning when I could not open the side entry door 😳!!!!! I give my friends lots of chuckles, they say that’s what makes me….me.
Springerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
New sign in window ---- "FOR SALE"

And I'll bet dollars to donuts it ain't the first thing the guy has damaged due to 'no help'
It’s all about the “learning curve”. Not every one is cut out to own or maintain a motorhome/trailer.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I have new neighbors who came into the campground Tuesday. They must be newbies because every thing looks new. I saw them take water and sewer hose out of the package. The truck and trailer look new. They started to set up by positioning the door in line with the picnic table and the later realized that the sewer hose wouldn't reach. I asked them if they needed any help and they said no thanks. The next day they had there awning out and it was getting windy so I mentioned that the wind could damage there awning. They said OK thanks and left shortly after. About an hour later I heard a noise and looked out to see there awning wrapped up over the roof. It also broke the TV antenna off. Myself and another camper tied down the awning as best we could to stop it from beating the trailer. When they got back the wife was crying and the man cut off the fabric and busted up the frame. They then packed up and left. Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.
I think some people are simply too insecure to ask for help or even accept it when it's offered. Personally, I like to hear what everyone has to offer and always appreciate the interest. Many years ago, at the start of my career, I read something I never forgot: "People say you learn from your mistakes. That may be true, but I prefer learning from the mistakes of others".
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're on our 4th rig now and consider ourselves to be old hands at the RV game. Just the same, the first thing that I do when we get a new rig home is to spend a weekend digesting the 5 lbs of manuals that came with the rig. Learn something important every time!
Old Top Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman10 View Post
No cure, or vaccine, for stupid — or arrogance. Your new camper suffered from both.

Well put.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #53

On the flip side.....

...perhaps it can be what we start with when offering advice.

Camping at one of our semi-local campgrounds mid-Spring this year. The best RV sites are on a hill, three levels. We're always on the top row and get to enjoy the free entertainment when a newbie shows up. Sometimes though it becomes too painful and one is obligated to offer some help. After 15 minutes of near-disastrous attempts in backup up their 25' travel trailer (Man getting frustrated + wife not doing a good job giving "directions = %$@#!) I went down to help. I started off with "You know what, I was in the same predicament as you are when I started out, if you don't mind, I'll be happy to pass on a few tips that will make this a lot easier". You could tell he really wanted to say no but I think he realized his wife would probably have shot him at this point. As I made it clear I wasn't being judgmental,he agreed to take some guidance. I gave him clear and concise directions and we quickly had the task under control. Afterwords I went in to a little more detail about the mechanics of backing up a TT and he was quite appreciative. Since it was clear that his pride wasn't hurt, I did mention that he'll soon be at the point where he can enjoy other newbies going through their backup efforts and if warranted, pay it forward. I'm pretty sure he thanked me 4 or more times throughout the evening whenever I was within earshot.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #54

I wouldn’t know anything if I hadn’t listened to fellow campers with good advice . And all I have learned on this forum.
caroldee2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Haha,
The first time we took our “new to us “ rig out,
I thought we were taking it right back even after reading the 500 pages of manual.
Loss and all!
It’s a 10 minute job max now and we laugh about that first adventure.
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I have new neighbors who came into the campground Tuesday. They must be newbies because every thing looks new. I saw them take water and sewer hose out of the package. The truck and trailer look new. They started to set up by positioning the door in line with the picnic table and the later realized that the sewer hose wouldn't reach. I asked them if they needed any help and they said no thanks. The next day they had there awning out and it was getting windy so I mentioned that the wind could damage there awning. They said OK thanks and left shortly after. About an hour later I heard a noise and looked out to see there awning wrapped up over the roof. It also broke the TV antenna off. Myself and another camper tied down the awning as best we could to stop it from beating the trailer. When they got back the wife was crying and the man cut off the fabric and busted up the frame. They then packed up and left. Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.
Experience is the best teacher.
But the test comes BEFORE the lesson.
:(
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote