Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I was new Once

I have new neighbors who came into the campground Tuesday. They must be newbies because every thing looks new. I saw them take water and sewer hose out of the package. The truck and trailer look new. They started to set up by positioning the door in line with the picnic table and the later realized that the sewer hose wouldn't reach. I asked them if they needed any help and they said no thanks. The next day they had there awning out and it was getting windy so I mentioned that the wind could damage there awning. They said OK thanks and left shortly after. About an hour later I heard a noise and looked out to see there awning wrapped up over the roof. It also broke the TV antenna off. Myself and another camper tied down the awning as best we could to stop it from beating the trailer. When they got back the wife was crying and the man cut off the fabric and busted up the frame. They then packed up and left. Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I have new neighbors who came into the campground Tuesday. They must be newbies because every thing looks new. I saw them take water and sewer hose out of the package. The truck and trailer look new. They started to set up by positioning the door in line with the picnic table and the later realized that the sewer hose wouldn't reach. I asked them if they needed any help and they said no thanks. The next day they had there awning out and it was getting windy so I mentioned that the wind could damage there awning. They said OK thanks and left shortly after. About an hour later I heard a noise and looked out to see there awning wrapped up over the roof. It also broke the TV antenna off. Myself and another camper tied down the awning as best we could to stop it from beating the trailer. When they got back the wife was crying and the man cut off the fabric and busted up the frame. They then packed up and left. Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.
Well,,
Now they understand what you were saying [emoji1787]
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #3

New sign in window ---- "FOR SALE"

And I'll bet dollars to donuts it ain't the first thing the guy has damaged due to 'no help'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

No doubt a hammer thrower
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sometimes people have to be taught the hard way.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How's that saying go.....

"You can lead a horse to water, But............."
Old 06-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #7

"Pride comes before a fall?"

Or like I asked my son...a few times: "Do you really just have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way?"
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
"Pride comes before a fall?"

Or like I asked my son...a few times: "Do you really just have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way?"
X2! Yup, they were just too prideful to accept help! Sad!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Was it this guy?

https://youtu.be/4YR1iMXh7Nc
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, some people have to learn the hard way and others are just plain lucky.

One of my wife's friends has been RV'ing in a Class A for about as long as us. She came to visit last year with their brand new Thor Outlaw. I helped her set up. I had a 50 amp plug/ water/ and sewer available. She hooked up her sewer and opened both the black and grey water. I advised her not to keep the black open, that is has to have water in it otherwise they'll end up with a poop tepee that will eventually plug the drain. But they'd doing it that way for ~20 years so I guess they are lucky.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.
It could also be “baggage” from past experiences. We don’t get a lot of offers for help/advice. Could be because we check in earlier in the day when the campground is mostly empty. Or (less likely) we give off the “appearance” we know what we’re doing!

However, last trip we were backing into a site… the site was on the passenger side, flanked by two ravines/culverts. Plus, the road had a drop-off limiting how far out we could go. Wife was driving (it’s her pickup) and I was spotting and we were having trouble negotiating the obstacles with our tiny trailer.

On about our 4th attempt, “he” came over. I suspect his wife sent him. First words were a condescending/gruff “what’s the problem?” I told him we had no problems, just having a hard time with the drop offs (as one tire is about a quarter of the way off the payment).

Then with a grand sweeping gesture of his hand he tells us to just pull out and back it in. Uh…. What does he think we’ve been trying to do?! There was no other traffic so we weren’t holding anyone up. Yet I felt like this guy was snarling at me!

Sounds like your guy should have been adult enough to acknowledge there are thing that “you don’t know, that you don’t know” and taken your advice. But maybe he’s been on the receiving end of his fair share of bad experiences too.
Campfire Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #12

Just more almost new, but not necessarily "in good condition" RV's for sale in a year or so.

UNDERSTAND.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #13

There have been a couple of times where I truly regretted accepting the help from random person. The "helper" sometimes thinks they know what you are looking to do and won't accept anything else. One particular occasion, I wanted the trailer in at a angle to block us a bit from the campground for privacy, he kept trying to get me in straight. I told him what I was trying to do and finally had to just ignore him and park the way I wanted. Whether I thought he deserved it or not my better half thought I needed to go offer him a beer for his help. Could it be that your person has dealt with that guy to many times?

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #14

brings to mind when we were "newbies" 20 yrs ago, packed in a commercial campground for a race weekend in KC, couple next to us, (we were all outside enjoying the campfire) stopped by on their rounds telling everyone about storm expected in the wee hours to put in their awnings, we said thanks and did just that, we never let it out all night, many others in the campground ignored it, next morning the local mobile RV repair guy was in the campground had about a half dozen to repair/cutoff etc