Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many, many good ideas and things to do. Here's something that was alluded to but not specifically addressed. This will take you some time but develop a set procedure when setting up and breaking down camp.

Each of you should take/do specific duties. Those you can work out for yourselves. If you don't develop specific and separate duties something will be forgotten, missed left behind or broken. It probably took us 10-15 trips before we settled in on specific chores.

I do all the driving. When we arrive the DW checks in with the CG office, gets a map and directions. Some CG's guide you. Others just give you maps. She directs me into the sight and watches out for things. We have a camera so I can watch her give me directions. I can hear her but she can't here me. We're still working out the hand signals.

Here's something that we never thought of but it cost me a scratched RV. Developing a routine is most important to keep things a trouble free as possible.

Here's the WORDS of caution. If any part of your check in or check out routine changes no matter the reason re-evaluate everything before you proceed. If your DW is not feeling well and you have to do her duties make sure you check and re-check everything. Here's what happened to us last month.

We were leaving the CG. Another coach was having trouble hooking up his TOAD and I new I'd have to go around him by going through an open sight just to the left of our sight. There was plenty of room but instead of just pulling straight out on to the exit road as I had always done I went just slightly to the left to get into the empty sight and because of that slight change I knocked over the electric box that we were plugged into. No damage to the box but it scratched the side of the coach.

It was just a very slight change in what would/should have been a normal exit and it cost me. Sometimes (not often) you have an option of turning left or right when leaving a camp sight. If you always turn left and for what ever reason choose to go right make sure you stop and check for clearances. There just might be a low hanging branch that you'll hit if you go right. You won't know until you hit it. It takes just a slight error in judgement to make costly mistakes.

This happened to a friend once years ago. It was Winter and he was going into northern MI to visit some friends. He went off the main road and onto some side roads. He did stop and check before he headed down the road. There were some low hanging lines (I think telephone) but he was clear. All was well so he didn't think to check when he departed a few days later. A snow plow had piled snow up at the end of the drive and it raised the MH just enough to catch those wires when he headed out. He didn't change his routine but the plow did.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Now I carry an infrared point n' shoot thermometer and check my axle bearing temperatures with it when I stop. Before my next years adventure I'm adding more tire pressure/temperature monitors to the ones I already have on my RV.
Steve
Hah! I carry one but have never even put batteries in it. This summer I left the CG in Mountain Home, ID and drove 45 miles to the first rest area. My walk around found smoke rolling from my left rear fiver wheel. The failed bearing took out the hub and axle spline so I spent 10 days in Mountain Home waiting for a new axle. Had I used the infrared gun when I first got to the CG, I would have found that I had a bearing problem and could have gotten it fixed without delaying our trip.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
With all of the wonder full people you will meet don't forget to bring "an open mind" and "a mouth that is capable of being closed when required".
I have a tendency to forget one or the other from time to time.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make a list that you refer to EVERY TIME YOU STOP FOR A NIGHT OR MORE listing ALL the items you need to PUT DOWN, TURN OFF, UNHOOK, BRING IN, etc. It is invaluable!
Keep records of everything you do to the coach and when.
Don't forget about checking tires OFTEN (air pressure, wear, temp).
Old 12-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #47

Never, EVER, forget the beer. It helps to forget about the other things you forgot to bring.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife and I are new RVrs, but long time boaters. Years ago we started using full duplex hands free headsets when docking the boat, and use the same things when backing the RV into/out of a site. It's very easy to hear each other, and no risk of a missed hand signal along the way. It's also nice that no raised voices are required, thus depriving the neighbors of a free show.
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
My wife and I are new RVrs, but long time boaters. Years ago we started using full duplex hands free headsets when docking the boat, and use the same things when backing the RV into/out of a site. It's very easy to hear each other, and no risk of a missed hand signal along the way. It's also nice that no raised voices are required, thus depriving the neighbors of a free show.
We use walkie-talkie's now, but these headsets sound interesting where is a good place to find these?

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
We use walkie-talkie's now, but these headsets sound interesting where is a good place to find these?
These are the ones we're using (or at least the current version of the, ours are a previous version).
They're not cheap, but worth every penny if it keeps you from scratching your big fiberglass baby.

http://www.seadogboatingsolutions.com/eartec-simultalk-24g-communication-system-solution.html
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Septic safe toilet paper can still clog up your system. Try to limit the paper that goes in the tank. Dump the black tank frequently, especially if lots of tp goes in the tank. Don't let it fill all the way up if you can avoid it. The solids build up and can create a clog. I dump my tank every couple of days.

Walkie talkies are great when parking.

Double check everything before you pull out. It is easy to leave a door awning out, or satellite dish up. Don't forget about tail swing in tight places.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #52

I run a checklist ap (on a tablet but it would work on a phone as well) with several checklists: 1) for getting ready (food, check RV and toad, etc.), 2) for disconnecting and storing, 3) for immediately before mmoving (check that DW is on board, the dogs, etc.), 4) for arrival and setup. You can customize for your specific lists, and I update the check lists as we learn new things. More than once it's saved me from moving with the TV antenna up or some other problem.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd be sure to have a basic tool kit along. I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight and have used it many times. On one of our first trips I pulled into a rest area for a stretch break. I walked around the coach checking basement doors, tires, etc. One of the doors swung open freely even though locked. Fortunately I had the right tool to make a quick repair and were on our way without a hitch.

I also like the previously mentioned check list when getting ready to depart. We've had situations where a shoe was blocking the slide so it wouldn't come in properly. Now checking to be sure everything is stored properly has made our list.

Walkie talkies when backing and for checking lights when departing is also a must have. Those hand signals and raised voices just don't do it for us.
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
walkies talkies for sale cheap !

get into the 20th century at least - cell phones on speaker if u must they even have hands free versions!
Old 12-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #55

I haven't followed this entire thread but we wish we had been told it is okay to leave the grey water tank connected and open to the sewer in CGs. The traditional advice of leaving both closed so you can dump grey to flush out sewer hoses after dumping black is unnecessary if you have a black water washout connection. Leaving the grey water open and draining has extended the time between tank dumping by several days and changed the pressure we used to feel to monitor the tank levels constantly.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:42 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Darling Wife!

I heard DW was damn wife
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote