Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #1

Iced up Fridge Fins?

we've been living bout full time in our 5th wheel for a few months
its been horribly hot and humid for a month.....90* and 90% humidity.

the Dometic fridge is getting iced up fins.......nearly 1/2 the fins are slightly icey now.

do we do an old timey defrost with jugs of hot water inside or what?

ALSO, is there a way to prevent this?

it typically keeps at 36-38* according to the thermometer i keep in there.

thanx folks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Wow. 90F and 90%, that's a tough combination.

I'm nowhere near a humidity that high, but I've had 105F temps at 38% before for a couple weeks at a time earlier this year. And I've not had ANY frost on the fins at all. Over the last 4 years. Still get some in the freezer compartment but it's a year between cleanouts. But that's due to a DIY project that I accomplished back in '16 when I bought this rig. Adding a fan to the inside of the refer.

Here's the link to my ad free article about it. If your refer isn't a Norcold, you can find another article about the same process for a Dometic refer at my blog in the '94 Bounder section.

Refer fan installation...

Oh, I should mention...TEST your seal by putting a dollar bill in there and close the door. It should be difficult to pull it out. Also, you can look around the door seal for moisture. That will indicate a bad seal too. If you have a bad seal, it's costly as the refer manufacturers want you to replace the entire door.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

It’s probably freezing up due to lack of air circulation.

leaving a little space at back of each rack helps the cold air work its way down to the lower levels.

And the fan mentioned will also help.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #4

Keep the doors closed as much as possible, really. Decide what you want before opening a door, yes I know, kids(large and small) like to window shop. Education is the key for that. Every time a door is opened the cold air spills out onto the floor only to be replaced with warmer humid air.

The absorbtion refrigerators do not have a defrost cycle, so yes warm water in jugs or a hair dryer work. On entended trips I do a defrost about once every 3-4 months.

Another thing that can cause frost buildup is the condensation drain tube. It must have the small plastic button in the end. It's purpose is to keep insects out plus reduce warm air flow back into the fridge. Norcolds have an evaporation cup near the heating elements that keep the tube end submerged in water. That prevents anything from getting into the fridge.
Dometic has the tube hanging outside the lower vent panel, so the plastic button is very important.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #5

All the above but double check door seals.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Circulation fan inside and check the door seals. It is normal to have some fin icing and you do need to defrost the unit periodically.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #7

I have an atwood refrigerator that ices up the fins when I run it on electric but not when I run it on gas. Weird or what? It is an HE0601 model 2006 build date.
Neckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it is just slightly iced as you say, it is doing pretty good, leave it alone. It seems to be doing a great job as is according to your thermometer. If that changes or the ice gets a lot thicker then you may need to defrost it but with those conditions it sounds like it is running well.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #9

We had an icing issue last year, but changing the thermistor location slightly and making sure that we do not over pack the fridge has fixed it. No icing at all this year.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #10

Pretty normal in high humidity conditions. Should clear itself when temps and humidity drops.
Right now it is working very hard and the fins are very cold. Every time you open the door there is an inrush of warm, humid air that heads to the fins. Weak door seals make the condition worse.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have an atwood refrigerator that ices up the fins when I run it on electric but not when I run it on gas. Weird or what?
Not really weird. The fin has to get to 32 F. for ice to form, so it appears your fridge cooling unit is performing better (getting colder) on electric than on gas. It could be as little a 0.1 degree difference. If the electric mode heats the boiler a bit more than the gas burner, there can be a small difference in fin temperature.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought one of these. Even has blue LED lights (no idea why but it's cool). Works great, circulates the air in the fridge and keeps the fin pretty clear. I wired it into the fridge 12v circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge fan.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	294823  
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I bought one of these. Even has blue LED lights (no idea why but it's cool). Works great, circulates the air in the fridge and keeps the fin pretty clear. I wired it into the fridge 12v circuit.
You might check but I thought the thermistor was placed on the second fin about halfway down as a proper cooling position.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 AM   #14

Another vote for a small circulation fan, I added one about 3 years ago and it really helped on ice buildup, I still need to defrost it with a hair dryer, but not nearly as often, maybe once per year now, even then it is not as bad.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge