Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #1

Ideal Class C for a couple towing a Jeep Wrangler

Sitting in our Cougar 26 trailer that works fine, but thinking about alternatives to our current rig. Hoping for guidance on my thinking and equipment.
We are a mostly-retired couple (and one wonderful Golden Retriever) that likes touring back roads in our tow vehicle (F250 long-bed crewcab).
Current rig works well, but truck is cumbersome on tight back/off-roads.
Thinking that a Class C towing a Jeep Wrangler might work better. Not looking for off-road capability, but AWD and ground clearance are needed, as well as ability to drop the top for better scenery viewing. Think Titus Canyon trail but not off-roading in some crazy wash.😀
Preferences:
RV should be mid-sized, say 30-34’
Must include a king bed
Biased toward couple’s use, not bed count. Bigger kitchen and storage, fewer beds/seating
I like diesel
Higher quality construction and components (please don’t laugh; seems like a pipe dream)
What RV manufacturer would you suggest.
What do you think of the idea of moving from truck/trailer to Class C towing a Jeep?
And sadly, this might be a good time to start looking (at least from a distance).
Good luck and good health to all.
RickBetterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #2

Typical Class C chassis is at or over its limits long before you try towing anything. If you really want a C then a super C would be your best option. Otherwise look at a class A.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Typical Class C chassis is at or over its limits long before you try towing anything. If you really want a C then a super C would be your best option. Otherwise look at a class A.
Didn’t realize I was so far off base!
Class A or Super C is ok too.
RickBetterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterl View Post
Didn’t realize I was so far off base!
Class A or Super C is ok too.
Yes You need a U-RV Or a skoolie conversion. if you get a diesel they are no worse on Fuel then a F350. in many cases Better MPG.
build one with things you want and leave of what you don't want.
Tow what you want then without question.
Here is mine. this is from 2012 I've done quite a few more upgrades since.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:22 AM   #5

I've seen Class C's towing Jeeps but I really didn't pay much attention to manufacturers. Perhaps scour the Class C section for some ideas. We starting out with a trailer and truck but didn't have enough storage space. We then went to a 5th wheel and truck but always hated driving the big truck around and we liked to get off pavement. Friends took us 4-wheeling in a Jeep and we were hooked. We then bought the Class A and Jeep. We had so much fun with it exploring the backcountry. It's the best!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:36 AM   #6

It's been a two year process, but we have moved from TT to Class A and a Jeep too. We had done a few summers off roading with an F150 and want to do more! Enough so that we went through the effort of making the change and spending the money.

We went with an 8 year old Tiffin 34.5'. It checks off all of your boxes except the king bed. Search Class A's and you'll find one that checks all of the boxes.

Good advice on the weight limits of C's. We started shopping for a C, but once we opened the possibility up to an A, we were on the right track for us.

Good luck!
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #7

Might as well get the Class A vs Class C, vs tow dolly vs 4 down vs trailer "discussion" started.
There are ways to tow with a Class C, Class A, Super C not always reqired.

If you have not already, drive each one of these, see what you like the best, without towing first. Then figure out your towing solution.

I had a Class C 21 foot first, went to a 27 foot Class A, then a 40 foot Class A, now a 31 foot Class C.

For several reasons, Class A is not for me, others will disagree.

Spend the time to read towing threads here, well worth your time.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #8

There are class c’s with up to 7500 lb towing capacity. Research and you will find the one that fits you. Dont listen to those that say It cannot be done.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you want 30-34 feet, I think your best option is going to be a gas class A.

If you can step down to under 30 feet, you can find a bunch of good conventional class Cs that should work great for you. Many of them are diesels.

If you can step up to 35+ feet, you can look at super Cs or even smaller diesel pushers.

No matter what you get, pay careful attention to GVWR and GCWR. Many manufacturers list tow rating as GCWR minus dry weight, which is deceptive because your MH will never be at its dry weight. That 3500-pound tow rating that's just barely enough for your Jeep may turn into 3000 pounds or less (i.e., not enough) when the MH is loaded for travel.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Typical Class C chassis is at or over its limits long before you try towing anything.
Not sure where you're getting your information but it is definitely false information.

Here are the specs for one as an example.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2016-...an-25g-tr28428

I think I even read that the new 2021 E-450 would have a 10,000 tow rating. Not sure about that.

The biggest problem with class c's is getting one too long and having a huge rear axle overhang. I would probably limit a class C to around the 25/26 foot area.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #11

There are plenty of class C,s that can comfortably tow your Jeep. Just look at the yellow tag inside door of new rigs to see what you actually have. At 30 to 34’ you need to be on a e450 chassis. Find the floor plan you really like and check ccc. I down sized and still tow the same Jeep we did with the class a. Class c,s will save you money but yes you can get more ccc with a super C or A. But at what cost. Take care

Enjoy the journey
Old 03-20-2020, 06:50 AM   #12

The recommendations that C's can tow the Jeep and still have CCC left may be accurate. However, I would be focused on these numbers when shopping (as you should be anyway). We shopped C's for a year and the majority of them would have been over CCC or rear axle.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Class c,s will save you money but yes you can get more ccc with a super C or A. But at what cost.
The most expensive RV is the one you replace after six months of ownership because, in an attempt to save money, you bought something that you didn't like.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterl View Post
Preferences:
RV should be mid-sized, say 30-34’
Must include a king bed
Biased toward couple’s use, not bed count. Bigger kitchen and storage, fewer beds/seating
I like diesel
What do you think of the idea of moving from truck/trailer to Class C towing a Jeep?

Check out link for the Dynamax ISATA 5's
https://dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-motorhomes/isata-5

The 36DS has King Bed - but is 36 1/2' long - the 28SS & 30FW fit your length criteria, but only have Queen beds. All are diesel & have 10k lb hitch - I'm looking at going from my 5th wheel to the 36DS so I can pull a trailer with my Jeep & RZR on it.
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, jeep, tow, towing