Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Yep!
If gas goes to $5.00 a gallon, then everything else is going up also (except my retirement checks) so the cost will be relatively the same as far as total expenditures go. I have high hopes of traveling in the MH till the day I die.

And, in keeping this thread topic valid, it's the relative COST of fuel for RVing that is central to that topic. And yes, when fuel cost rises, so will everything even remotely connected to it - and THAT is just about EVERYTHING!

SO, when/if the choice becomes whether you eat, and enjoy a warm or cool home - or take another RV trip, how will the MAJORITY of us choose?

And THAT choice may well come sooner than we think!

We have owned our '88 KIT 5er since new - it's long since paid for itself in family enjoyment. The '88 Winnie MH only cost us $7000 - and was bought purely to tow a fishing boat to local area CG's and lakes - so if it has to spend lots of time parked while we take less expensive day trips to the lakes instead, no big deal, and the 5er/Dodge Cummins truck combo gets 17 MPG as compared to a best of 8 MPG for the MH...

Like many in this thread, we'll continue to do as we always have, plan trips more carefully to maximize benefits, travel somewhat less than before, and as the situation arises, stay longer in one place if attractions merit it.

ALL our stuff is paid for - and if finances dictate, it will all SIT - after all, they are LUXURIES, not NECESSITIES!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #226

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Well... when it does hit $5-6 a gallon I'll be ready to upgrade to a beautiful coach that someone bought at the height of the market at a very depressed price and use the difference for the fuel... no worries
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Well... when it does hit $5-6 a gallon I'll be ready to upgrade to a beautiful coach that someone bought at the height of the market at a very depressed price and use the difference for the fuel... no worries
Now that's one of the smartest comments I've seen on this thread. I remember a couple years ago, when gas went to $4 per gallon, dealers were all but giving Suburbans, as example, away with like $17k discounts, and still couldn't move them off the lots. I remember thinking at the time, that you'd never be able to, in the lifetime of the truck, spend the extra $10k incentives being offered on gas, over a 'more sensible' mid sized car. Same on RVs. There were some screaming deals available on the big rigs. Unfortunately we just were not in a position to act on them at the time.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Now that's one of the smartest comments I've seen on this thread. I remember a couple years ago, when gas went to $4 per gallon, dealers were all but giving Suburbans, as example, away with like $17k discounts, and still couldn't move them off the lots. I remember thinking at the time, that you'd never be able to, in the lifetime of the truck, spend the extra $10k incentives being offered on gas, over a 'more sensible' mid sized car. Same on RVs. There were some screaming deals available on the big rigs. Unfortunately we just were not in a position to act on them at the time.
We are not out of the woods yet with our economy. Don't worry as I think the deals will get better in times yet to come. I agree the money saved on these rigs will go a long, long way towards fuel costs.
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #229

Thor Owners Club
I will still camp. I love this life style and will not stop. I suppose we could reduce some long distance trips but for the most part, we'd plan for any long trips and save for them.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanPaul View Post
We are not out of the woods yet with our economy. Don't worry as I think the deals will get better in times yet to come. I agree the money saved on these rigs will go a long, long way towards fuel costs.
AH - the "PAY LOTS of money, to SAVE a LITTLE money" line of reasoning, If I buy that fancy $250K MH that I still really can't afford even when marked down $100K, OR afford to operate, look at the $$$ I will "save"...

I think that line of reasoning caused lots of problems with housing defaults and repossessions...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #231

Monaco Owners Club
The old saying, I just cant afford to save anymore money on all the good deals, is true.
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #232

Congress is considering allowing the States to declare Bankruptcy which would cause fits for the Bond Market and Retirement Recipients. Enter the high fuel prices and along with it, increased revenues for the States. Go figure!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #233

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
AH - the "PAY LOTS of money, to SAVE a LITTLE money" line of reasoning, If I buy that fancy $250K MH that I still really can't afford even when marked down $100K, OR afford to operate, look at the $$$ I will "save"...

I think that line of reasoning caused lots of problems with housing defaults and repossessions...
Gary, you must have been reading my mind.

If gas prices go from the expected $3.75 on Memorial day to predicted $4.75, and you travel 4,000 miles, @ 7MPG the cost difference is an additional $571.00, hardly one monthly payment on a newer rig.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #234

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post

Actually, I was thinking of selling my current rig, bought for $2000, and buying one that is now selling for $30-35000 for $20000.... no payments required... nor do I need the 'cost more than my 14 acres' rigs.. just a waste.

That $70-150000 dollars saved goes alooooong ways.

Besides, I dont think there's '125%' or 'interest only' loans for a rig...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #235

Solo Rvers Club
I used to ask my husband the same question, and what would we do. He'd smile and answer, "They'll be less traffic on the road."
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #236

Ford Super Duty Owner
My brother-in-law wanted gas to go up for that same reason. Living just outside of NY city it went above $4.20 and he ran out of gas twice looking for the cheaper price up the road going to his Adirondack lakeside properties.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #237

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this about the price of Gas.. I think it is the major cause of inflation and the major source of the increase in teh cost of living and I feel the oil companies are fat pigs that are ripping us off big time.

There, rant ended for now:

As to the price of Gas hitting 5.00 / gallon

There are two options.. Either it WILL hit five bucks or we will go into a full recessin and it will go back to 50 cents... (or less) one or ther other... I have heard, over the years, many predictions of 2.00, 3.00,4.00 and now 5.00 a gallon of gas within xxxx days.

NOT ONE OF THEM HAS COME TRUE.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #238

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will say this about the price of Gas.. I think it is the major cause of inflation and the major source of the increase in teh cost of living and I feel the oil companies are fat pigs that are ripping us off big time.
If you are that convinced that oil companies control market prices for crude oil and petroleum products, perhaps you can tell me why they allowed crude oil prices to fall from a peak of $150+/bbl to $30+/bbl during the recent recession? According to your logic, it appears that neither OPEC nor trading exchanges such as NYMEX nor worldwide demand had anything to do with this price decline.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote