Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #295

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the US and Canada have a massive reserve of shale oil. I knew about that during the 70's embargo. However, back then, it was too expensive to get to and process as foreign oil was so cheap (if memory serves (Ha) I seem to remember that oil prices would need to reash $100 a barrel before it would be worth going after the shale oil. We passed that one a long time ago.

Now, there are much better ways to get at and process shale oil, so why haven't we? Money. The oil companies would have to shave off a few million of their BILLIONS of dollars in profit. Can't have that!!!

Shale oil extraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #296

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, shale oil is being extracted - more all the time. The fracturing technology is making this cost-effective today. Of course, as you know, our Federal government is currently eyeballing fracturing technology from an environmental standpoint. Try a Google of "shale oil fracturing".

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #297

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So.. who wants US backed governments back??

LOL...

Knew this wasnt gonna be good...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #298

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Actually, shale oil is being extracted - more all the time. The fracturing technology is making this cost-effective today. Of course, as you know, our Federal government is currently eyeballing fracturing technology from an environmental standpoint. Try a Google of "shale oil fracturing".

Rusty
Very true. Question is; why aren't we doing more and why have no new refinery's been built and why have some even been closed. It's a good way to keep your profits at obscene levels, isn't it?........

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #299

Texas Boomers Club
7% to 8% profits are obscene? Perhaps you should turn your attention to the banks and drug companies.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #300

Monaco Owners Club
Who cares? We have picked this lifestyle and that is what we shall do. Might not cover as much territory and ride the motorcycle more, but you will find me... "on the road again" .
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #301
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Thank God for COAL
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #302

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Diesel here in NE Ohio hit $3.75 this morning. I'm sure it will push $4 very soon. Do I here $5...$6...$7
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #303

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Diesel here in NE Ohio hit $3.75 this morning. I'm sure it will push $4 very soon. Do I here $5...$6...$7
I think it was in 2008 when I paid 5.05 for diesel. I practically passed out when it went over $100. for my truck. The other day, I was filling up and the limit was $75. Gulp.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #304

Gary you did notice my preceding sentence(post 284) right? Within 300 miles of our our house are well over 100 great places to camp and just chill out.
We were traveling throughout the West for 3 months after Hurricane Katrina. Fuel prices were ~$4/gallon then.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #305

I get confused, everyone hopes gas rises to 4.00 or more and 100/barrel and then drives up and down streets looking for the cheapest gas to buy in the city. They seem to all land at the cheapest station and never a crowd at the 4.00 priced stations.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #306

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We're going to keep on RVing even if we drive less miles and stay longer at locations. The reason is simple: Time keeps moving on and life gets shorter and shorter and oil prices always fluctuate. In 2008, we planned on our Alaska trip. Gas spiked and we stayed in the lower 48. Gas came down in 2009 and we did the Canada and Alaska trip. It was wonderful.

Each year we get one year older and God forbid, closer to being unable to travel in our recreational vehicle. So, because of the price of gas, we keep delaying doing the things that we want to do, someday we may not be able to do those things. So, my attitude is to go for it; travel while it's possible and the heck with the price of the barrel of oil. You only live once.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #307

The sad fact is, far too many in threads like this continue to reply based upon their assumption that FUEL price ALONE is the deciding factor in their RVing plans - when in fact, radical increases - and the jump from $3 a gallon to $5+ *IS* radical - will inevitably bring with it a LANDSLIDE of related social and standard of living issues of pretty major proportions. This is NOT a "single issue" phenomena!

We're not all that far away from scenes of riots and protests as now being seen overseas - and I'd guarantee you those in economy related protests are NOT spending much time planning their next big RV outing, they're far to busy trying to figure out where their next MEAL is coming from!

Rapidly rising fuel costs, dropping employment and SCORES of economy related issues visible thruout other parts of the world, and all around us in THIS country, are graphic evidence that the current fuel price increases are NOT an isolated event, but rather only the visible tip of a far larger issue seriously changing our short, AND longer term future stability.

Sure - go ahead and RV now, while you can - because this lifestyle may well be going the way of the rest of the vanishing "American Dream"...

How much Rving as we do it here in America do you think is being done in places like Iran, Egypt, Thailand, China, and Africa - to name a few...

And we get closer to THEIR social structure and economy day by day...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #308

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
3.75 a gallon in homestead any farmers down here for red fuel
safe travels bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote