Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #323

Alot of doom and gloom about the future here. I choose not to worry about it and cross that bridge when and if I get to it. Some people choose to live in fear of the future and prepare accordingly and that is fine for them however the rest of us are not as pessimistic and prefer to enjoy life and hope for the best and are confident that things will return to normal. Coincidently due to the instability overseas our fuel costs are rising dramatically but things will stabilize and get back to normal and most likely before the end of this thread. assuming the thread goes into the summer
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #324

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
We are going to use all theirs up first then charge them $300 a barrel.

ding, ding, ding,....we have a winner right there.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Alot of doom and gloom about the future here. I choose not to worry about it and cross that bridge when and if I get to it. Some people choose to live in fear of the future and prepare accordingly and that is fine for them however the rest of us are not as pessimistic and prefer to enjoy life and hope for the best and are confident that things will return to normal. Coincidently due to the instability overseas our fuel costs are rising dramatically but things will stabilize and get back to normal and most likely before the end of this thread. assuming the thread goes into the summer
Threads like this - and related comments like those I have provided, generate responses that fall into 3 general categories:

1. Ignore the warnings, and continue to party on like there's no tomorrow.

2. Listen with interest, but do nothing other than start paying at least a LITTLE more attention to world and national events as they steadily evolve and unfold.

3. Become fully aware - no "panic", since events are far beyond any single individuals ability beyond warning others and doing what can be done to insulate ourselves to the best of our ability against what we truly accept and feel is coming down the road our way.

We can't do a thing for those in category #1 - their decision is their own, as is the end result. If we're inside a large building and hear someone shout "FIRE", we'd be foolish to not at least LOOK for flames and the smell of smoke - and then warn others if we DO see signs of danger. Those "signs" of danger are all around us, easy enough to see, and WE have already done what we can for ourselves, and are not "panicked", but calmly are doing what we can to warn others - what THEY choose to do with that warning is entirely THEIR choice.

And those who at least listen, and start their OWN investigation into what's happening, at least have a START into protecting themselves if THEY choose to.

That's ALL me and those like me can do...

MEANWHILE, now aware of, and done all we can to protect ourselves against what we recognize and see coming, we continue calmly on our daily tasks and duties - including RVing - and roll with events as they steadily unfold all around us...

NO "panic" or fear here, what will come, will come - RVing and $5 a gallon fuel is only a SMALL part of the FAR larger picture...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #326

Mid Atlantic Campers
Friends, what are you talking about?

In Germany we pay currently 1,57 Euro/Liter!!!!!!!! I think, it's equivalent $5,82 per gallon.

Love
Chrissy
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #327

My Dr. has an answer for those that predict dume and glum.
Get a dead chicken and swing it over your head; make sure you have a a lot of people around;
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #328
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I just gassed up the Explorer at Costco and they were lined out to the street. Unleaded $3.19--$3.09 at Costco. Also got price on new tires for coach. $708.00 Each. Ouch.

Diesel $3.35
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #329

When they prove to me that gasoline to run my truck to go to warmer climates is cheaper than buying propane, heating oil and elec , THEN, Ill park mine. Add in the cost of a frozen body, and uncomfort, then the price is cheap to find the sun.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #330

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I spoke with the manager & he had told me that they price their gas in accordance to what the local 'little guys' are charging & usually undercut them by a few pennies.
Not too sure, but I think that is the law.. no station can charge more than a few cents less than those within a certain distance from them.. This kept the big boys from undercutting the locals... It now works against us.

Those of you who complain about gas going up '10c overnight' need to remember this. If a station fill up and pays more for it, they will raise their price. Those around them MUST then also raise them too...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #331
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Not too sure, but I think that is the law.. no station can charge more than a few cents less than those within a certain distance from them.. This kept the big boys from undercutting the locals... It now works against us.

If this is true, it's a new law since I owned a couple of gas stations in California back in the 70s... but now that I see it in print, I guess there are a lot of laws that have been passed since the 70s which aren't exactly "new".

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #332

Being afraid to spend your money in fear of an impending Armageddon prolongs the recession. The world wont be ending in 2012 and the Rv industry is going to be around for a very very long time.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #333

Mid Atlantic Campers
In Germany pricing is centralized. Gas station owners have no influence on prices. I remember a day in December were we had 5 different prices on the same day with differences of 5 Eurocent per day, it's awful
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #334
a k

Newmar Owners Club
In owned two Shell stations and I never heard of that law. Must be in California.

Where did you see it in print?

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7184218_california-fuel-price-law.html

I found this but it has nothing o do with selling price.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #335

High gas prices are just a side affect

I have noticed that we have strayed off topic just a wee bit, so I thought I would share my .02 in what I think is happening.

I was just talking with a friend the other day as we sat at the table drinking our morning coffee. He said something that made me recall what I have been thinking for a while. He said "with all that is going on in the world, it looks like we have lived in the best of times. And that the future is very uncertain".

I am concerned, yet not to the point of standing on a street corner citing scripture like Revelation that the end is near, like some of those who have in this thread.

I do see some bad things happening everywhere around the country. I can't even watch the local news anymore, as it just numbs me to see several shootings each day, some involving law enforcement officers who are just trying to do a job to protect us all. I see a rudeness in many that I have not seen before. I see actions by some without any fear of consequences. We, being all of us have failed todays generation by not instilling in them right from wrong. Old school values and manners are gone. Consideration for others is what you see on an old episode of the Waltons. I grant you there are exceptions but they are not the norm. I don't know where we strayed, but we have.

However, I do not feel all is lost. Things will probably get worse before it gets better, but like in the past I hope that Americans will unite and we will all do whats right and needed to get things back on track. Much like the greatest generation who's parents felt were going in the wrong direction, and look what they did, they defeated Hitler and the Empire in WWII.

I hope that we haven't lived the best of times America had to offer, but if we have, high gas prices will be the least of our problems. But for now, let's RV!

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #336

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
If this is true, it's a new law since I owned a couple of gas stations in California back in the 70s... but now that I see it in print, I guess there are a lot of laws that have been passed since the 70s which aren't exactly "new".
Been that way in most states for a very long time. i only found out when Wisconsin started enforcing its law from 1939 that also made it illegal to mark up LESS THAN 6%...

Wisconsin's minimum gas markup law reinstated - JSOnline

From 2001:
Quote:
This spring, as fuel prices zoomed to their peak, Wal-Mart wanted to use inexpensive gasoline to lure motorists to its new parking-lot gas pumps. But in order to sell lower-cost gas, Wal-Mart first needed to overturn laws in many states that require a certain markup above cost at the pump.
http://wsjclassroom.com/archive/01oct/ENTR_walmart.htm
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote