Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #365
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Can you say GREED.
DUH

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #366

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Actually, the bottom line was 'media scare'... same as it is now.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #367

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been following this topic for some time now....It'll HURT to pump 70 gal. into the rig and know I'll only get 500-600 miles I'll drive slower, use the toad more, and stay a lot longer in each spot. We didn't go out this year from central Minnesota and I'm suffering greatly from cabin fever. The weekend jaunt to a campground 150 miles away will be cut way back, and the state park just down the road will be used a great deal more.
Be safe out there!
crtrrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #368

Folks in threads like this who express only limited concern over rising fuel costs probably do so for several reasons.

1. Lack of priorities in regards to their personal finances - what caused most of the worlds current financial ills.

2. They are truly wealthier than average - and fuel cost IS a low priority issue.

3. Some like my wife and I are at the end of our lifespan, have worked hard and save all our lives fur THIS small moment in time - our "Golden Years". In our situation, we have about 5 years (perhaps) of decent health and mobility for RV travels - maybe 10 if we're extra lucky.

Our kids are all grown and individually well off on their own, and don't need the accumulated $$$ we have set aside for this time in our lives. I'd far rather USE our savings for their intended purpose while we're still able, rather than sit around counting it - or planning to leave it to the kids who don't need it - or the government that will waste it.

Bad times ahead? YUP, I'm pretty sure of it - but hopefully, due to our ages, and what we DO have saved - I'm hoping the worse of what's coming will arrive after we're no longer here to suffer under it - meanwhile, our most pertinent chore is to enjoy what we have to the best of our ability, and at the same time keep ourselves and others who are willing to pay attention, informed as to the daily events unfolding all around us...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #369

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD
Folks in threads like this who express only limited concern over rising fuel costs probably do so for several reasons.

1. Lack of priorities in regards to their personal finances - what caused most of the worlds current financial ills.

2. They are truly wealthier than average - and fuel cost IS a low priority issue.

3. Some like my wife and I are at the end of our lifespan, have worked hard and save all our lives fur THIS small moment in time - our "Golden Years". In our situation, we have about 5 years (perhaps) of decent health and mobility for RV travels - maybe 10 if we're extra lucky.

Our kids are all grown and individually well off on their own, and don't need the accumulated $$$ we have set aside for this time in our lives. I'd far rather USE our savings for their intended purpose while we're still able, rather than sit around counting it - or planning to leave it to the kids who don't need it - or the government that will waste it.

Bad times ahead? YUP, I'm pretty sure of it - but hopefully, due to our ages, and what we DO have saved - I'm hoping the worse of what's coming will arrive after we're no longer here to suffer under it - meanwhile, our most pertinent chore is to enjoy what we have to the best of our ability, and at the same time keep ourselves and others who are willing to pay attention, informed as to the daily events unfolding all around us...
Quit hiding Gary come on out and play

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 Forum
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #370
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If gas reaches $5.00/gal are you done?
Could anyone afford $5.00 a gallon gas?
And as far as rationing, would anyone even consider traveling much less take the risk of starting out and getting stranded??
When the time comes I'll let you know.

Back in the day when I was "In Country" you always planned ahead by not making any plans.

For the foreseeable future I plan on using my new toy baring icy & salted roads
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #371

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought diesel and LP today at our local Chevron Station. Diesel here in Arizona is $4.00 and LP is $4.06.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #372

Going to fill up tomorrow for the weekend trip. Looks like Diesel is $4.10-$4.25 in Southern California. I think it was two or maybe three year ago, we were paying $5.25 in Southern California for diesel.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #373

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I remember the folks that would drive down to FL from Canada complaining about the price of gas. Many of them would tell me that if gas hit $1 a gallon, they would have to stop driving down to FL... many of them predicted that most of the Canadians would stop coming to FL.

Can anyone tell me if the Canadians stopped traveling to FL in the winter?
Are there any American's in Florida during the Winter? I think only Canadians.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #374

Monaco Owners Club
I am reaching the retirement I have been looking forward to. I have to agree with most posts - I have planned on RVing when I retire and the cost of fuel might limit my travel but staying longer and going shorter distances will be my way of regulating cost.

I will tow a vehicle or my motorcycle to enjoy the countryside.
MandMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #375

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My problem is not so much in being able to pay the $5 per gallon but in the remembering just a couple years ago when it was in the low $2 range. Even worse is remembering when gas was $.17 per gallon, but that's another story. For now, because I mind tells me I don't want to fall prey to whowever is making the outrageous profit off oil, we will not take our annual four month trip. Pity.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #376

Texas Boomers Club
HERE is an interesting read regarding rising fuel prices from Investor's Business Daily. Yes, it has political overtones, but it is directly relevant to the thread topic of fuel price increases and our government's view of same.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #377

If I were to stop using my RV then, not only would gas still be $5 a gallon but I'd be paying for an RV & not using it.

I have to look at it like this way. Expensive as it is, a tank of fuel in my 3500 would then cost an extra $30 or so. Thirty bucks is bucks, but I'm not going to let that keep me off the road. Who knows, maybe campgrounds will lower prices to keep people coming once the price of gas scares them away.

And, why IS diesel so expensive? Isn't it the "Malt Liquor" of combustible fuels?
heypilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #378

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypilch View Post
And, why IS diesel so expensive? Isn't it the "Malt Liquor" of combustible fuels?
As has been explained time and time again:

1. ULSD diesel (15 ppm maximum sulphur content) is significantly more expensive to produce than the 500 ppm diesel we used to run.

2. The world demand for diesel fuel is higher proportional to available supplies than the demand for gasoline. In Europe, the use of diesels is promoted because of their better fuel efficiency and lower greenhouse gas (CO2, specifically) emissions - you burn less carbon, you make less CO2. Therefore, diesel is taxed at a lower level than gasoline in Europe, and over 50% of the automotive sales in Europe are diesels. Due to this global demand, tankers were exporting diesel from U.S. refiners to Europe and bringing gasoline back to the U.S. from European refineries. In addition, the exploding economies of China and India are driving global diesel fuel demand to fuel their construction equipment and transportation.

3. In the U.S., Federal and most state fuel taxes are higher on diesel than they are on gasoline since, unlike Europe, our emissions regulations target smog precursors (such as NOx) and particulates where diesel engines are at a disadvantage. The higher diesel taxes are also based on the premise that large diesel-powered trucks do more damage to the roadways and thus should pay a proportionately greater share of the construction and maintenance cost, despite the fact that they would with an equal taxation structure due to their higher fuel consumption per mile.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote