Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Lift the ban on drilling in the USA and see how far and quickly the prices will fall.
Yeah - and STOPPING the sale of OUR USA produced oil to places like China would help a lot as well...

But then, of course, they might stop buying our debt...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #128

Monaco Owners Club
If gas does reach $5.00 a gallon we should think about changing our government reps! Vote and it won't happen.
Bugzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #129

I agree with hamguy and dave/jamie, if you subscribe to the notion that the oil companies are making huge profits then buy stock, in fact-if the evil oil companies are making anything you are probably already benefiting-if you have any investments or are retired..

It is my belief that oil companies are alot like the tobacco companies, profits are eaten up by the expenses of regulations and taxes. When you understand what oil companies have to contend with its incredible that they remain in business, are they as pure as the driven snow, no but the fact remains that they also helped save the world-twice.

Triker, we also ride alot, '95 BMW 1100 GS, but ground camping is no longer an option for me and riding endless miles on the pavement has lost its appeal also-we detour immediately as soon as we spot a 'rough road' and really enjoy dusk/night riding-especially in moose country, we will take candlepower over horsepower any night.....

badge, why would you want to go back to a corn gasser ?

hamguy, forgot to add this, many would consider getting -banned- from the site you mention a badge of honor, it is owned by the industry and populated by shills for oem's, fact.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #130

Well everyone the subject of the topic may happen far sooner than anyone could have imagined-the bimbo on our local affiliate is reporting that we can expect $4.00 gallon gas by this spring-
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Six miles per gallon is pretty seriously low milage. My 40' DP gets about 8 and up to 10 going downhill with a tailwind. Have seen a low in the mid 7's.
One month after I made that long motorcycle trip.
I traded that MH for a 34' DP that has averaged 10.23 MPG for over the 8 plus years I have had it.

In 2004 I drove it and pulled my bike on a trailer to Estes Park, CO for a Motorcycle Rally.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #132
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

I agree with everyone else, if you love this lifestyle (and I do) you will find a way to make it work!!!

Hey Lorna,

Nope they did not !! Still plenty of Canadians here in Fla from what I can tell!!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #133

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Not snooty at all.
It all relates to the "Giggle Factor"; how many dollars are you willing to spend per giggle?

In 2008 we went on a 2 month 8,200 mile trip and paid between $4.50 and $4.80 per gallon for Diesel. Figuring $4,300.00 for fuel and $2,400.00 for campgrounds, what other kind of 2 month vacation can you have for less than $7,000.00?

This, of course, ignores the cost of the Coach and upkeep.

Is this economical?...........of course not.
It's a lifestyle.
$7,000.00, thats 2 weeks at Disney.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #134

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm getting more and more depressed reading this thread. Oh well, not to worry, we're heading to Florida on Friday. Have reservations for Fort Wilderness and going to give the mouse some cash. Then, it's off to Daytona and watch the big boys turn left. The point is; we are not going to let this gas price speculation stuff ruin our trip. It did in 2008 and I'll be darned if I let it happen again. We'll just put our Workhorse at 2100 rpm's, and enjoy the scenery as we head south. But honestly, I must admit that I am really glad that we went to Alaska last year.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmat View Post
Ya, blame it on someone else. You did'nt know that US is still the world's largest consumer of fuel.

If everyone would slow down to 55 mph, consumption would be down by 15 to 20%
Not necessary true...If I slow down to 55 mph my mileage drops...Mt coaches "sweet spot" is 1600 RPM and that works out to 69 MPH...At 55 MPH I get 4 MPG, at 69 I get 7 MPG....It's all about the gearing....Go figure.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #136

What is often overlooked in statements about "Big Oil" "only making 3% on their investment", is the sheer dollar amount that adds up to!

If a guy making $75K a year gets a 3% pay increase, HIS pay will increase by $2250 annually, about $187 a month - big deal!

But if a major oil company makes 3% profit in a year - it adds up to 10's of BILLIONS of dollars - BIG DIFFERENCE in the actual real-world buying power!

And, THAT is the key pivotal issue - the actual buying power difference between what the 3% the oil companies make - and what the common man on the street makes on a 3% increase.

"Invest" in oil to make money - SURE, if you can do it in multi-million dollar segments - THEN the increase will amount to something in real-world buying power - but what about folks like me, who can only afford perhaps $10K in oil investments - if *I* "profit" by 3% on my investment, I'll gain $300 - not even enough to fill the tank on our MH!

So much for "investing in oil" to counter rising fuel costs...

What would YOU rather have - the "3% gain" the oil companies make - or perhaps a 100% increase in your annual pay? I certainly know which one would do ME the most good...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #137

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
And, THAT is the key pivotal issue - the actual buying power difference between what the 3% the oil companies make - and what the common man on the street makes on a 3% increase.

"Invest" in oil to make money - SURE, if you can do it in multi-million dollar segments - THEN the increase will amount to something in real-world buying power - but what about folks like me, who can only afford perhaps $10K in oil investments - if *I* "profit" by 3% on my investment, I'll gain $300 - not even enough to fill the tank on our MH!

So much for "investing in oil" to counter rising fuel costs...
You would be well served to do some research on total return of some oil and natural gas stocks, including master limited partnerships (MLPs). There are some healthy dividends/cash distributions out there in addition to any gains you might see from stock price appreciation.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #138

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Hey guys! I just got this in eMail this morning. Can we subscribe to this or is it not accurate?
WHERE TO BUY AMERICAN GASOLINE.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 70's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even have been good for us!

Are you aware that the Saudis are boycotting American products? In addition, they are gouging us on oil prices. Shouldn't we return the favor? Can't we take control of our own destiny and let these giant oil importers know who REALLY generates their profits, their livings? How about leaving American Dollars in America and reduce the import/export deficit?

An appealing remedy might be to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up your car you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just purchase gas from companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill up my tank, I'm sending my money to people who want me, my family and my friends dead.

The following gas companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell..................................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco...................... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil........................... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway................ 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco.................................... 62,231,000 barrels

And CITGO oil is imported from Venezuela by Dictator Hugo Chavez who hates America and openly avows our economic destruction! (We pay Chavez's regime nearly $10 Billion per year in oil revenues!)

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil per day from OPEC. If you do the math (now $90.00 plus) that's over $550 million PER DAY ($200 BILLION per year!) handed over to OPEC, many of whose members are our confirmed enemies!!!!! It won't stop here - oil prices could go to $200 a barrel or higher if we keep buying their product.

Here are some large companies THAT DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco............... 0 barrels
Conoco............... 0 barrels
0A Sinclair........... 0 barrels
BP / Phillips.......... 0 barrels
Hess................... 0 barrels
ARC0.................. 0 barrels
Maverick............. 0 barrels
Flying J............... 0 barrels
Valero................ 0 barrels
Kwik Fill.............. 0 barrels
Murphy Oil USA *. 0 barrels

*Sold at Wal-Mart , gas is from South Arkansas and fully USA owned and produced.
*Not only that but they give scholarships to all children in their town who finish high school and are legal US citizens..

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.
Driver, This sounds good on the first reading, but you are forgetting ONE BIG FACT.... You don't really know where the gas that you buy at the pump comes from. You mentioned Flying J as a company that doesn't import oil from the Middle East...Well, The Flying J's here in my area get their gas from Exxon. I've watched the Flying J trucks fill up and leave the Exxon gas depot here in Roanoke, VA and go straight to the Flying J's to unload... So my question has always been why is Exxon's price .20 higher than Flying J's which is 2 blocks down the road? It's all about greed, and what the American people will pay.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #139

Texas Boomers Club
Let's try this again.

Here's what Snopes has to say regarding the e-mail quoted above.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
All gas is mixed in the pipelines anyways... Exxon puts 1000 gals in, 20mins later they take 1000 gals out 1000 miles away... its not the same gas although it meets exactly the same specs for 'raw' gasoline. Any difference in the companies fuel comes from the additive they use and which are added during the fill up of the tanker, not before..The 20 cent difference (which its not, really) comes from the additives put in..or lack thereof.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote