Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #239

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
As to the price of Gas hitting 5.00 / gallon
I paid 5.05/gallon for diesel once in 2008 (I think it was). I started to think bicycle!
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #240

Two things come to mind. Back when we were used to paying less than two bucks a gallon then it went to $3 I knew that we would never see $2 once they got us used to paying more. Now it is $3.50 and going up. Will we get used to paying over $4? I think so.
Looking ahead I just hope Me and my MH are sitting in a place I want to spend the rest of my life at when there is no gas to be had at any price. Hopefully that won't playout until I am long gone.
Anyone thinking about the predictions for 2012?
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #241

Winnebago Owners Club
For what it's worth:
People in the know, like Warren Buffet and Steve Forbes, who are millionaires from investing in the stock market, claim that there is more oil in the ground in the United States than all the Mideast Countries put together! AND the oil companies now have new methods for obtaining that oil that was difficult to impossible some years ago. This was on a TV news report.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #242

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
For what it's worth:
People in the know, like Warren Buffet and Steve Forbes, who are millionaires from investing in the stock market, claim that there is more oil in the ground in the United States than all the Mideast Countries put together! AND the oil companies now have new methods for obtaining that oil that was difficult to impossible some years ago. This was on a TV news report.
It's hard to believe after the fiasco in the 70s that we are still dependent on others for oil. Even more incredible, as you state, is that we have it here in our own country.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
It's hard to believe after the fiasco in the 70s that we are still dependent on others for oil. Even more incredible, as you state, is that we have it here in our own country.
We are going to use all theirs up first then charge them $300 a barrel.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #244

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
We are going to use all theirs up first then charge them $300 a barrel.
Ya think? Ya really think the politicians are that smart? Will it be before or after we pay China back the money we owe them?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #245

Vehicle fuel prices in the USA have many things pushing and pulling the price. Here are a few of the important ones.
1. Many people, claimed environmentalists, Prius drivers, some pols want the price higher so we can be like the "virtuous" Euros who have enjoyed 4-8 bucks a gal for many years.
2. Thousands of lawyers plus the above mentioned "claimed environmentalists" are against almost all drilling in the USA.
3. And then there are the actual environmental issues. I went to the University of California at Santa Barbara in 1969 and remember the oil spill mess quite clearly.
4. You have troops of people sitting in the commodities trade building in Chicago and elsewhere who make many many billions trading oil futures. Remember Enron. These folks are responsible for nearly all the oil price spikes. They buy quantities of oil at one price and then resell it at another price. The pros at this are kindred spirits to the thieves of Wall St and many are mega rich. Sure you can loose money at this too, but usually the ones loosing the money are small investors who get in too late.
5. I just read yesterday in Motor Home Mag that USA gasoline consumption has declined every year since 2006 and is not predicted to ever get to the 2006 peak again. By 2030 demand is predicted to decline 20%.
6. There is quite a bit of oil still in the ground in the USA. But the easy to get stuff is mostly overseas. IMHO the big easy land finds are pretty much over. BUT I am no expert. My guess is that if Warren Buffet knew where the oil was he would be organizing a drilling company, and he is not.
7. Also IMHO the only way to get even with rising oil prices is to buy shares of Chevron, Shell, and so on. I did. Helps pay the diesel bill.
8. Another way to get the price down is to be in favor of systems that reduce our demand, like wind and solar for power generation, the Volt car, and so on. But be in favor of increasing USA production.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
Ya think? Ya really think the politicians are that smart? Will it be before or after we pay China back the money we owe them?
China owns us. We will never repay them.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #247

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
China owns us. We will never repay them.
I agree. I can't believe what has happened in recent years. However, I would probably offend a good many people in a forum that is not meant to be a political arena if I got into a political conversation. There are other boards to vent the "heat" that I feel.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #248

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some people are claiming gasoline is/was the 'fuel of the past'. BUT, no one defines the fuel of the future and certainly not the "fuel of the present"!

They do not propose any practical fuel of the present. Instead, they want up to quit drilling and stop preparing any alternative fuels. Even the French have built dozens of nuclear plants (without one reported accidental nuclear "incident").

One excuse offered up is that even if we began drilling for oil, it would be 10 years before any would appear at the pumps. Had we begun drilling 7-8 years ago when this comment was made, we would be only 3-2 years from Baaken gasoline, etc. Instead, it is still 10 years.

We, the American people are collectively, IDIOTS.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #249

If Gas/Diesel goes to $5.00 a gal I may have to pick up that nuclear reactor I have been looking at. Still have not decided between Nuclear or Cold Fusion.

I wonder when the new Winnebago Watt is coming out?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Two years ago when gas and diesel hit all time highs, all I heard was "It's George Bush's fault". Inquiring minds want to know, whose fault is it now?
its still his fault
fishinful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #251

Solo Rvers Club
OH Joy! happy times are here again!! I can roll down the road with less traffic1 Actually, If gas hits the $5 mark then I will keep workamping and not go so far to accept work. Nipped in the Bud! Good thing we are not in Europe or Asia, no gas, no food, no pets, hell, can't even afford them danged cigarettes. No sense in banging your head against the wall. You and I will either pay it or find alternatives. I have my CAMEl in the corrall. Have a nice day, and yes a littli Praying helps. Irove r:confused :
Irover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #252

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Just this morning discussed with spouse and we own our RV lot so we'll stay here on weekends as we do now until retirement. Hope to buy another lot in warmer climes and spend summers in Virginia near family and winter somewhere warm. Just take fewer trips than originally planned, I.e. Alaska may be further in our future.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote