Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #1

If you can’t park your rv on your property. Where do you work on it?

I have a 37’ class A. I cant keep it in my community so I keep it in storage. The storage guy now does not want me working in it there. Is that common or should most storage locations allow you to work on your rv there?
6munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would find another storage lot.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I back mine out of the covered storage all the time to do light maintenance on it... and once a year I pull around to the back to allow my mobile oil change guy to do the fluids and all...

our storage guy has come back to chat and/or see if I need help when he sees me there and with the cheap storage WITH 20 amp electricity, think I'll keep my spot even though it's about 15 miles away!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #4

I think it depends on what work you are doing. If it's interior work, I see no problem. If you are wanting to do major mechanical work, even oil changes, I can see his point.

I have seen storage places that look like junkyards with people tearing apart an RV and leaving a mess behind. If this is inside storage, there may be a liability issue. The outside lot where I keep mine had one person replacing wheel bearings and springs on his cargo trailer. It sat disassembled for months right next to my TT. I didn't say anything, but the lot owner finally told him to fix it or move. It's now gone.
glwinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
PKI

It is common - the code in some locations requires special environmental reports and inspections when vehicle maintenance work is performed on site. Some operations are not staffed for that type of reporting and therefore do not allow on-site maintenance.

Options:

- the type of work you do yourself. Pick and chose what you do where.
- the place you store - BIL found a farmer with a barn where he stored his boat.
- the type of RV you own - a Class B is often acceptable to park in your drive.
- the relationship you build with your storage facility manager.

Also - Facilities that do maintenance may encourage you to use their services.

Some boatyards allow DIY maintenance work, but it can be very dirty there.

Some private facilities will let you do work while they are working on your rig.

Some street locations are not restricted by code. Not best, but in an emergency.

Some facilities rent space for DIY maintenance and even rent tools.
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If the weather is decent maybe you could find a vacant lot around town. I would try to get permission from the owner, and pick one that is not in a location where you would be likely to be broken into!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
It is common - the code in some locations requires special environmental reports and inspections when vehicle maintenance work is performed on site. Some operations are not staffed for that type of reporting and therefore do not allow on-site maintenance.

Options:

- the type of work you do yourself. Pick and chose what you do where.
- the place you store - BIL found a farmer with a barn where he stored his boat.
- the type of RV you own - a Class B is often acceptable to park in your drive.
- the relationship you build with your storage facility manager.

Also - Facilities that do maintenance may encourage you to use their services.

Some boatyards allow DIY maintenance work, but it can be very dirty there.

Some private facilities will let you do work while they are working on your rig.

Some street locations are not restricted by code. Not best, but in an emergency.

Some facilities rent space for DIY maintenance and even rent tools.
So it sounds like I just might need to find a storage location that is a little easier to work with. I rarely have someone else do work unless it's outside my capability or just requires tooling that I don't own/cant build. I can rarely justify paying someone $100 an hour or more to do work that I can do myself. not arguing the rates I work in professional service delivery so I definitely understand, but its just not for me unless I really cant take it on for whatever reason.) So I will need to find a place that can support a real driveway replacement for me .
Old 10-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #8

Most storage areas I've looked at in MN do not allow work to be performed inside. Insurance reasons.

I take mine to the Home Depot parking lot a few miles down the road from storage and park in one of the far spaces and do whatever needs to be done. No one has ever objected, plus it's an easy stroll to buy material as I need it.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6munro View Post
So it sounds like I just might need to find a storage location that is a little easier to work with. I rarely have someone else do work unless it's outside my capability or just requires tooling that I don't own/cant build. I can rarely justify paying someone $100 an hour or more to do work that I can do myself. not arguing the rates I work in professional service delivery so I definitely understand, but its just not for me unless I really cant take it on for whatever reason.) So I will need to find a place that can support a real driveway replacement for me .
I can do oil changes and light duty repairs. I don't thing they want me doing major surgery but never had to or asked.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #10

Sell your home in the community and move to the country where you have your own storage space and can work on your coach at your leisure.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Most storage areas I've looked at in MN do not allow work to be performed inside. Insurance reasons.

I take mine to the Home Depot parking lot a few miles down the road from storage and park in one of the far spaces and do whatever needs to be done. No one has ever objected, plus it's an easy stroll to buy material as I need it.

this is an awesome idea. Especially for those bigger projects that take 6 stops to the hardware store.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #12

First--I realize that I am spoiled with a 50x50 barn and an extensive tool crib to meet most of my mechanical needs. Having said that--I don't get the conversation that suggests you "look for an empty lot and maybe find the owner;" or parking in a Home Depot parking lot? I am afraid these kinds of "solutions" sent the wrong signal and create the wrong impression of RVers….I believe most non-RVers think that if you can afford to own an RV, then you can afford to find commercial space to properly store and maintain it.... JMHO...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
When the city limited on street parking to two days and the home owners association said I could not park in my own driveway, we sold out and bought a different house.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
When the city limited on street parking to two days and the home owners association said I could not park in my own driveway, we sold out and bought a different house.
That would be an expensive resolution. Realtor fees and moving cost would be well north of $20k in our situation.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis 05 Jeep Wk
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote