Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #15

For a 5th wheel, I'm pretty much right on with Gary's numbers and also the brands of 10 year old trailers. And, that is part of my rub. Hate to go quite that old as I would love to have the auto-level and not sure you can get those with that old of 5th/w.

You can get some new 5th/w for 50K, but again, they are going to have the lighter suspensions and I will probably spend the 1st year fixing all the problems that they come with from the factory plus the 1st couple years depreciation. As for getting a Dodge or GM rather than the Ford, boy I would have to eat a lot of crow (although have heard with enough salt & pepper it ain't that bad LOL).

BTW, on top of my $100K budget I also plan to put @$5k+ (could go more but don't really want to) a year aside for maintenance which should be overkill for a 5th wheel but not so much for a MH.

Overall, financially, the pickup and 5th wheel probably makes more since, but boy I would sure like a motor home.
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #16

I'm 60, my wife is 57. We started RVing in earnest in 1997. We've had 2 5ers, a 33ish' class C (new, had it for 10 years), another 38' 5er (new), now we have a 38' DP. We'll never have another trailer, it'll be a MH or nothing. Just too convenient.

I just recently bought a new GMC Canyon 4WD, so I could tow 4 down. Boy, that'll spoil ya too. I'll never dolly tow again either. lol
Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There are nice brand new fifth wheels available for not much over the magical 50K number. Getting away fron Ford you can buy fully loaded Ram or GM duallies a couple of years old and still have money left over in your 100K budget.
Remember ALL RVs will depreciate. Add in maintenance, insurance, and upkeep and that 100K MH could wind up costing you an additional 20K in 5 years or less.
MHs have some convienence, but at what price?
LOL, in addition to a number of different forms of campers over the years, the OP also mentions having a 45' motor cruiser for the past 10 years. I cannot think of any bigger money pit than a boat.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Sure you can! Just look up! Dave
Old 12-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming View Post
lol, in addition to a number of different forms of campers over the years, the op also mentions having a 45' motor cruiser for the past 10 years. I cannot think of any bigger money pit than a boat.

where's the like button??
Old 12-07-2019, 04:25 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
7 months ago thats was my budget.
we were going to go for a new TT and an SUV but then people began to tell us that you need a 5er or a class A for full timing, so the hunt was on.
we really liked the 2018 landmark 365 Lafayette and was in budget BUT the truck put it out. so the hunt continued.
everything we liked was out of budget until, someone said stop looking at new and leftover models and look at used. La mesa rv, Lazydays and all the others here we come. what a waste over priced you go in to look at one they try to steer you to another, no thanks!
rv trader ect here we go nope, at wits end.
found the perfect unit on craigslist after two months of shopping between everything. wife liked the floor plan, nice looking, in budget, right size and all the options we wanted. 7k in 7 months 23 states of fun.
for us, we ended up in a class A. be open to other ideas you will find the unit you want.
GOOD LUCK HAPPY TRAILS.